Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 17 Post By wsm junkie
  • 2 Post By wsm junkie
  • 1 Post By stagstalker

Thread: Restoring the faith

Restoring the faith

Couple weeks back I was having 2nd thoughts on my favoured 300wsm.....I was having weird extraction issues and the accuracy had dropped off to the point I couldnt hit a 12inch gong at 600yds.
    After a bit of research and some help on here it was determined a carbon ring had formed.....so out with the cleaning gear....3 hours later I was happy with the patches coming out and deemed it job done.
    Back to the range and the extraction issues were gone - 8 rounds later and the groups were starting to close up then onto the gong with 5/5 hits.
    So then I decided to try the Berger seating depth test as Ive never tried it - normally i just seat 20 thou off and adjust the powder charge.
    So I loaded up 6 rounds at each depth of -10, -50, -90 and -130 as per Berger's site and shot 3 of each - Berger says that 1 of the depths will group considerably better than the others - I was quite amazed at how true that is....I didnt even bother shooting the -130 as it was obvious where it was going. I adjusted 1 click right, 2 clicks up and shot the 2nd 3 of -10 just to confirm it wasnt a fluke.
    Name:  received_719167258492954.jpeg
Views: 355
Size:  82.5 KB
    jakewire, Tahr, buzzman and 14 others like this.

Good to have excluded 2 variables, sweet!

I had the same issues with my SAUM now I use a foaming bore cleaner and no more issues.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    I had the same issues with my SAUM now I use a foaming bore cleaner and no more issues.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Yup, ive got that boreslick stuff.
    While doing research on carbon rings one thing kept popping up - CLR...calcium, lime, rust remover. So i tried that too.
    After cleaning with my KG products and patches were coming out clean, i put a CLR soaked patch through and it came out black....next one was clean....same results as i was reading.
    25 /08 IMP and dannyb like this.

Nice, nothing quite like solving headaches!
    wsm junkie likes this.