Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sourcing reloading components

Sourcing reloading components

With the ever increasing cost of factory ammo and the slightly improved supply of reloading component I have decided to go back to reloading for my 6.5 Creedmoor's.
    Supply of components in the Far North is pretty well non existent but I am about to make a return trip to Palmerston North for the CD Fieldays.
    Can anyone on here help me out with possible sources along the way for powder (AR2209), Projectiles 143gn ELDX and primers preferably CCI or Federal large rifle.
    I have gone for the ADI powder because it looks like ongoing supply of this brand will be better than the American brands.
    The biggest issue is the powder, this is the only thing which cannot be bought online and couriered. Hopefully someone knows of stocks in the Auckland, Hamilton, Taupo, Palmerston North areas.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    With the ever increasing cost of factory ammo and the slightly improved supply of reloading component I have decided to go back to reloading for my 6.5 Creedmoor's.
    Supply of components in the Far North is pretty well non existent but I am about to make a return trip to Palmerston North for the CD Fieldays.
    Can anyone on here help me out with possible sources along the way for powder (AR2209), Projectiles 143gn ELDX and primers preferably CCI or Federal large rifle.
    I have gone for the ADI powder because it looks like ongoing supply of this brand will be better than the American brands.
    The biggest issue is the powder, this is the only thing which cannot be bought online and couriered. Hopefully someone knows of stocks in the Auckland, Hamilton, Taupo, Palmerston North areas.
    Sent you a PM.

There was a 1kg bottle of 2209 in HnF at Dannevirke behind the counter. The owner is a good dude.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    There was a 1kg bottle of 2209 in HnF at Dannevirke behind the counter. The owner is a good dude.
    Thanks for that. Dannevirke Is a little out of our way. Hopefully something closer. to my line of march.

Guncity Auckland is showing stock of AR2209, order online and pick up. Projectiles just order online and ship.
    Large rifle primers are pretty much out of stock every where so you might need to source them from someone that's willing to sell you a tray or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Guncity Auckland is showing stock of AR2209, order online and pick up. Projectiles just order online and ship.
    Large rifle primers are pretty much out of stock every where so you might need to source them from someone that's willing to sell you a tray or two.
    Thanks for that. Yes it seems the primers are the main issue with supply.

I see Reloaders Supplies website lists the AR2209 and ELDX 143 gn 6.5 Usually if they list them they're in stock. Best thing to do is contact them beforehand to check and put your name on them to collect.
    Reloaders seem to have little in the way of Primers but worth asking. On Gun City's website the only Large Rifle Primers they seem to have are Fiocchi. Again, ringing ahead to check and reserve is probably a good idea. They also list AR2209 but also list other powders I bet they don't have. Best to ask them of course.
    Good luck with enquiries. Getting stuff at the moment is a bitch and takes a bit of work.

Thanks for that. Yes it seems the primers are the main issue with supply.
    Rifle primers (especially LR) are basically non existent, there have been very few shipments and are usually very small.

If you are only shooting a couple of boxes of ammo a year then you should be able to get enough primers to start. If you are wanting to buy 1000 primers expect to pay way too much, if you can even find them.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    I see Reloaders Supplies website lists the AR2209 and ELDX 143 gn 6.5 Usually if they list them they're in stock. Best thing to do is contact them beforehand to check and put your name on them to collect.
    Reloaders seem to have little in the way of Primers but worth asking. On Gun City's website the only Large Rifle Primers they seem to have are Fiocchi. Again, ringing ahead to check and reserve is probably a good idea. They also list AR2209 but also list other powders I bet they don't have. Best to ask them of course.
    Good luck with enquiries. Getting stuff at the moment is a bitch and takes a bit of work.
    Yeah I see the Fiocchi primers. Has anyone here used them.

Fiocchi primers are as good as any. I found them more consistent for velocities in 44-40 using large pistol primers than CCI.
    Guncity has none in stock despite their website suggesting they might. Click on them and you'll see no option to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Fiocchi primers are as good as any. I found them more consistent for velocities in 44-40 using large pistol primers than CCI.
    Guncity has none in stock despite their website suggesting they might. Click on them and you'll see no option to buy.
    Bugger. yes I saw that and figured it was because of no stock.

Buy what you can now, place a wanted ad in our buy sell section for anything you can't get, worst case more primers are due in NZ toward the end of the year RWS brand, which i believe has been purchased by Beretta. But yeah definitely buy what you can while it's available.
    #DANNYCENT

Can I make a suggestion. Never loaded that cartridge. But for the last 3 years there has been plenty of AR2208 and I believe AR2206h. Could you use one of those powders? ADI never stopped making 2208. Its just so bloody popular. You don't want to get stuck with supply issues in the future.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Can I make a suggestion. Never loaded that cartridge. But for the last 3 years there has been plenty of AR2208 and I believe AR2206h. Could you use one of those powders? ADI never stopped making 2208. Its just so bloody popular. You don't want to get stuck with supply issues in the future.
    Thanks for the info. Yes I probably could use either of those powders. A quick look online a stocks gives me the impression most of the common ADI powders are available certainly supply seems better than the american powders, I've just found 1 couple of Kilos of 2209 so I am going with that for now. Primers seems the real issue but were working on it.
    Cheers

hey
    I can spare you a box of federal F210, if you happen to be in Wellington, or someone can pick it up for you. not sure about posting this