Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Velocity loss in short barrel 308

Velocity loss in short barrel 308

Hey guys
    Have just purchased a shortened 308 (17inches).
    I am keen to make up a rough drop chart for it (very rough indication) and I will try and validate it as and when I can.
    I don't reload, and dont have access to a chrono, so take the manufacturers data on the factory ammo boxes. From what I understand, the displayed FPS for 308 is based off a 24 inch barrel, what kind of approximate loss should I expect per inch, to roughly estimate my velocity from a 17inch barrel? I thought the collective forum mind might have a more accurate suggestion then google, as seems quite a range out there. I also know quite a few people have cut down 308s so might have some real world data.
    Cheers!

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelA View Post
    Hey guys
    Have just purchased a shortened 308 (17inches).
    I am keen to make up a rough drop chart for it (very rough indication) and I will try and validate it as and when I can.
    I don't reload, and don't have access to a chrono, so take the manufacturers data on the factory ammo boxes. From what I understand, the displayed FPS for 308 is based off a 24 inch barrel, what kind of approximate loss should I expect per inch, to roughly estimate my velocity from a 17inch barrel? I thought the collective forum mind might have a more accurate suggestion then google, as seems quite a range out there. I also know quite a few people have cut down 308s so might have some real world data.
    Cheers!
    My best suggestion would be to borrow a chrono from somebody. Or somebody with a Garmin or Labradar et take you to a range. I am sure somebody around the Waikato would be able to help?

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/

looks like about 250 fps which is a bit less than I was thinking.
    will vary with ammo faster/lighter ammo may loose more velocity
    Z

16inch 1-8 Tikka, 168gn eldm handloads @2450. Not fast but good enough for what I need it to do to 300m
    I know I could get more speed if I brought different powder but that means additional cost.
    Never used factory ammo in it
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelA View Post
    I don't reload, and dont have access to a chrono, so take the manufacturers data on the factory ammo boxes. From what I understand, the displayed FPS for 308 is based off a 24 inch barrel, what kind of approximate loss should I expect per inch, to roughly estimate my velocity from a 17inch barrel?
    Tried doing exactly that once upon a time and it was so far off, it wasn't funny.
    Gibo likes this.

Bergara 16.5 spitting factory Sako gamehead 150gn => 2650fps.
    BRADS and JoelA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Tried doing exactly that once upon a time and it was so far off, it wasn't funny.
    Good to know - thanks MB

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/

looks like about 250 fps which is a bit less than I was thinking.
    will vary with ammo faster/lighter ammo may loose more velocity
    Z
    Thanks for that Z!

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    My best suggestion would be to borrow a chrono from somebody. Or somebody with a Garmin or Labradar et take you to a range. I am sure somebody around the Waikato would be able to help?
    I may have to try that!

Tika 308 22in barrel,using shop hornady 165gr ssts chronied at 2760ft/sec.Loss of 40ft/s /inch off the factory velocity 2840ft/s using at 24in barrel.Down to a 17in barrel would mean more velocity loss per inch.

@7mmsaum is the North Island Chrony still alive?
    BRADS and mawzer308 like this.

@JoelA. I shoot a 16" with supressor but do reload et al. The max range shot I'll take is at 300 metres.

That said; I have used factory ammo in several different brands of shortened .308's. The most consistent in terms of velocity and accuracy was Sako Gamehead. In your shoes I would forget about velocity seeing as you don't have the means to measure it. Assuming you've got access to a range, Zero your rifle @ 100 metres. Then step it out to 200 metres. Group and measure drop, should be roughly 3". That being the case you can safely assume an 8" drop at 300 metres from 100 meter zero.

I figure if I'm taking shots at the two latter extended ranges I've got time to faff about. That has proven to be exactly the case. My scopes a dial up variety. I don't compete but do knock over animals.

Hope this assists. Cheers
    JoelA likes this.

Il send you my chrono guessing is just to hard mate

Pick which ammo you think is gonna work, sight it @100, then do a tall target test at 200 and 300. Put your drops in an app - Strelok or Applied Ballistic's etc, and go from there. Should be able to sight it in with 5 or 6 shots, another 3 or 5 to group it, and 3@200, and 3@300. Should still have a few rounds left in the box to go shoot an animal.
    mikee and Micky Duck like this.

I have the SI chrono coming to me next and once I have finished with it can send it south to him @Gibo

Oops just realised he is up north. So ignore above
    Gibo likes this.
    Happy Jack.