Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is this...

P38
    Given up?

#1 50cal Gyrojet

#2 577 Snider, Case turned and stamped SPANZ

#3 45 Basic by RCBS

Cheers
    Pete

The big projectile is about 37mm, Great uncle bought it back from the war as far as I know.

Was given the case yesterday its about 25mm.
    Name:  P5270055.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  987.3 KB

Any Ideas?

Tools not Toys
    Id say that the 37mm is indeed that, an AP or solid shot round from either the Germans, British or Americans in ww2, but I am guessing German? All the Allied ones I have seen on the web have 2 or more grooves at the bottom - driving bands??

I had a Foreman once who used a shell very similar to your 37, as a plumb bob!! It was a NZ one dug out of a berm at Burnham by his Uncle I think.

As for the case, if it is 137mm long then I guess a modern 25mm round such as fired by the bushmaster cannon in the Lavs

Cool though, I always remember being in awe of an inert 105mm round on Dads mates hearth as a kid.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hanse View Post
    Id say that the 37mm is indeed that, an AP or solid shot round from either the Germans, British or Americans in ww2, but I am guessing German? All the Allied ones I have seen on the web have 2 or more grooves at the bottom - driving bands??

I had a Foreman once who used a shell very similar to your 37, as a plumb bob!! It was a NZ one dug out of a berm at Burnham by his Uncle I think.

As for the case, if it is 137mm long then I guess a modern 25mm round such as fired by the bushmaster cannon in the Lavs

Cool though, I always remember being in awe of an inert 105mm round on Dads mates hearth as a kid.
    Cheers yea the old man used to use this one as a center punch Great uncle was a tank driver, they were hit by zee germans pretty early in the peice killing his tank commander, whether this is the round involved in that incident Im not sure.

I'll measure the case tonight but thats exactly what the fulla that gave it to me thought it was he wasnt sure though.