Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What happened ????

Whats your neck tension like, could this projectile have slipped in a bit further, giving a "compressed " load ? I know that ya case is going to be pretty full anyway but maybe that gave a higher pressure when jumping to the lands?

What's your bolt face look like? Any gas cutting/pitting?

Loose primer and/or an under load causing detonation would be my guess?

Mate I would pull the bullets and tip the powder back in the container and do anything with the brass accept pull the trigger on it. No go be hero get rid of it.
    Feral likes this.

Neck tension is good, it was to light before so adjusted to be firmer, also OAL so it's away from the lands.
    Bolt face shows no damage other than a little dis-coloration, I know it's not under or over loaded, all powder levels weighted and visually inspected , scales checked.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If everything is as you say Viper.
    It's the case , as someone mentioned primer pocket expanded, maybe combined with split case.
    Split case shouldn't really be that bad as all enclosed in the chamber, after this and pocket , it is to tech for me.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't think you answered the earlier question about a possible over-length case.
    What does the "offender" measure now for length?

One other thought- there's no chance a live primer fell into the case prior to loading powder?

Sorry 6x47, been so many questions to answer.
    Ok trimmed cases are 44.40mm
    That case that let go 44.42mm

R93
    I forgot to mention an oval pocket will feel normal whether hand or press priming. But someone else did and I am pretty sure that's your issue. Even in the pics you provided the pocket looks oval.

As you said you don't have any other type of powder and you can't really over load with the powder you have. You also cannot seat the projectile back far enough due to the charge for it to be a pressure issue related to seating anyway.

Bin the brass as others have suggested and get some better cases. Or weigh sort and check the brass you have and only keep what's in spec.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Thanks R93, yeah I am going to bin it. As for the above issues you mention I have been over and over it, checked and re-checked, One of those things, not nice but I have learned a lot from the comments, everyone has forwarded ideas and been very helpful.
    The Hornady case quality has been a real eye opener.
    Thanks to everyone.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Thanks R93, yeah I am going to bin it. As for the above issues you mention I have been over and over it, checked and re-checked, One of those things, not nice but I have learned a lot from the comments, everyone has forwarded ideas and been very helpful.
    The Hornady case quality has been a real eye opener.
    Thanks to everyone.
    I didn't know hornady .223 brass was shit till now, either. I have sack fulls of Lake city and police brass I collect at the club, but got sick of prepping it for my AR.
    I bought a 300 Hornady rounds just for the brass a while ago. So I have learnt something as well😆

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Feral likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

As a side question Viper, did you buy the brass loaded? Our just as empty cases?
    The reason I ask is I'm going to buy some factory load rounds and shoot them then reload as here in the uk this is cheaper than buying empty brass, it's hard to get 7x57. The ammo will be Hornady. So I hope that coming from the factory it will have better quality control?

This is going to maybe sound stupid to sum but i have to ask ? Were you shooting from a ute , did you have your reloads on the dash or in heat,

Ive not seen it myself but have been told 2206h is temp sensitive in a big way!
    guys over hear get huge spikes while traveling inland
    kiwijames likes this.
    "Chokes make differnces in inches and targets are missed by feet."

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    As a side question Viper, did you buy the brass loaded? Our just as empty cases?
    The reason I ask is I'm going to buy some factory load rounds and shoot them then reload as here in the uk this is cheaper than buying empty brass, it's hard to get 7x57. The ammo will be Hornady. So I hope that coming from the factory it will have better quality control?
    Yes brought as a 50 round box. Doing exactly as you are, get 50 loaded rounds from the factory then use the brass for reloading. I've used a lot of their brass in the past and never a problem so when the guys on here say it's crap I was surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by 6MMBR View Post
    This is going to maybe sound stupid to sum but i have to ask ? Were you shooting from a ute , did you have your reloads on the dash or in heat,

Ive not seen it myself but have been told 2206h is temp sensitive in a big way!
    guys over hear get huge spikes while traveling inland
    Hi mate, it's definatley not a stupid question. I wasn't shooting over a bonnet but there were a lot of rabbits and the rifle had around 30 shots through it before hand and it was getting very hot.
    I couldn't touch the barrel or suppressor for very long. There was no breeze and I had ammo in the mag but the bolt open between shoots to help cool things.
    I remember it getting so hot that I chambered a round , decided not to shoot and extracted it out and noticed the brass colouring on the projectile had dis- coloured !

I know a lot of the guys on here use 2206H, I don't and this is my second 500g tub and I don't think I will use it again. Nothing wrong with it and I can't put my finger on any issue but there is something about the stuff that to my ears sounds a bit different.
    I am probably talking shit but I am not super comfortable with the stuff. May go back to BM2 or try something else.

Any possibility there was water or other obstruction in barrel?