Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By 25/08IMP
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By TeRei

Thread: What weight 223 TTSX for deer

Ejected

What weight 223 TTSX for deer

Hi, I have always used TTSX in my AR for deer and been happy with them. I have used 62g because big pills are good. Post that purchase most of the stuff I have read says use light pills to keep the velocity up. Obviously a lighter pill has a worse BC.

So what do the people with more experience say? Stick with 62g or use 50g?

I've settled on 50gr, but have only shot paper with them so far. There is a TSX/TTSX thread in reloading on fishnhunt, one guy there states he uses 50gr and it works well, but he keeps shots within 150 yds.

Just use the good old Hornady 55 SP great on deer.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    R93 and Carpe Diem like this.

Guess you t depends on your deer, down here you would be fine with anything. Head to fiordland and I'd be wanting something bigger than a 223.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Just use the good old Hornady 55 SP great on deer.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    What are you comparing them with?

I use 55 grn TTSX in my .223 and am totally happy with them. 3,140 fps. When I first started using them I was amazed at how good they are. They breath new life into the .223. I had shot plenty of deer with ordinary bullets in the .222 & .223 in the past and this was a real step up.

Pass throughs at 200 yards on pigs, reds and fallow bucks. Always kill. Have used them out to 275 odd yards.

I haven't used any other weight ttxs in .223 but am satisfied that the 55grn expands at longer range and kills well.
    tetawa and takbok like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I use 55 grn TTSX in my .223 and am totally happy with them. 3,140 fps. When I first started using them I was amazed at how good they are. They breath new life into the .223. I had shot plenty of deer with ordinary bullets in the .222 & .223 in the past and this was a real step up.

Pass throughs at 200 yards on pigs, reds and fallow bucks. Always kill. Have used them out to 275 odd yards.

I haven't used any other weight ttxs in .223 but am satisfied that the 55grn expands at longer range and kills well.
    What twist rate are you using for those 55gr @Tahr?

Ejected
    Thanks for the responses. I have shot about half a dozen whitetail with the 62g TTSX and one red spiker and it was all successful. Just wondering if the 50 or 55g is better. I think 50g is a flat base (lower BC but more accurate) and the 55 is a boat tail.

I also have some rounds loaded with 62g SGK for deer but I am happy to spend the extra few dollars for the best projectile and also no lead in my meat.

So still keen on feedback of 50 vs 55 vs 62g TTSX but thinking I will try the lighter ones at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    What twist rate are you using for those 55gr @Tahr?
    1:8 Savage Light Weight. Shoots .5" groups on a good day and would average .75".

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    1:8 Savage Light Weight. Shoots .5" groups on a good day and would average .75".

Another very good bullet that I use on deer for slightly longer ranges is the 69grn Sierra Tipped Match.

im using the 55gr TTSX in my zastava, havent shot a deer with the bullet yet but it shoots just inside an inch

they like to go fast from my tests
    #BallisticFists

My son loaded up some 53 gr TSX in his 22 250 a few years back to carry as a deer load when out looking for coyotes ( he lives in Canada) My wife shot a nice whitetail Buck at about 50 meters with that load, two steps and dropped. Interesting to see the bullet passed through and the exit hole has 4- 5 holes ( looks like the petals come off) But it worked a treat.
    I know this is out of a 22 250 not 223 but I think it would be good in the 223 as well.

I've got a 1:8 Tikka and fine Hornady 75 grain steel match, cheap as, suits my rifle and has dropped the last two fallow no prob, but under 150 metres, 3 in 1" @ 100 consistently off the bi pod.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Load my mates Browning X Bolt with 55gr TSX using 25gr BM2.Shot recently 2 big red stags i.e. forestry ones @300m. Bang flop.He gets told regularly at work in Gisborne that he needs a big gun to shoot deer. He shows them his fone with proof then tells them to grow up.
    SlimySquirrel, MrSly and takbok like this.