Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

X-TREME 223 55gr FMJ. Anyone tried these?

Has anyone tried these?
    X-TREME 223 55gr FMJ /1000

I have got a small sample (250) so will try them out this weekend. Will let you know how they go.

My go to bullets (Plinking, 3 Gun & service rifle) currently are 55g grain CMJ Frontier projectiles @ $135 / 1000 delivered so the X-treme's need to be at least as good as they are more expensive.
    The CMJ's shoot accurately in all my AR15's however I have noticed with my 14.5" shorty, a vapour cloud appears often about 25m down range as the copper coating parts company (guess this is what happens). Bullets still hits the target accurately 98% of the time. Through my 18" and 20" uppers no worries at all and reasonably accurate to boot. 1.5" to 2" groups at 100m.

The X-TREME 223 55gr FMJ's are a proper jacketed projectile (Open bottom) and look great compared to the CMJ's so first impressions are good.

Interested in your results, I might get some if they check out. Hey, I'm also after a cheaper supply of 1000 cases as well, any pointers?

Cheers

Results.
    26.5gn of CFE 223 returned just over 3100fps out of my 18" Remington R15.
    Out of my 14.5" no brand AR15 they produced around 2650fps. The down side of short barrels.
    Very consistent velocity using the CFE223. Usually only varying around +- 10 fps or less out of the 18" barrel. It varied more out of the 14.5" however.
    Both guns were running 4X scopes, shot from a bench rest.
    5 shots groups at 50 meters (not able to shoot 100 at the pistol club yet) ranged from 15mm to 25mm across. I did notice that often 3 shots would be touching then the next two would be separate from the main group but touching. My favourite 55rn hornady SP projectiles shoot a bit tighter, 12mm to 15mm across but I think with a little more load development the groups would come down for the X-treme's.
    The CMJ's I normally run, run anywhere from 15mm to 30mm 5 shot groups. They too are not as consistent as the hornady with fliers common.

Will continue to shoot the CMJ's (great plinking bullet) but when my Hornady supply runs out, I will swap to the X-treme's if the next 200 I just loaded go ok next weekend. Will try them through my 20" windham with a 3-9x scope.

I buy my brass off trademe normally. Some good deals come up now and then. I have all the gear to process it though and are not after the most accurate ammo possible. I want cheap functional ammo as a lot of my shooting is under 200 meters so gilt edge accuracy is not needed.
    5Kg .223 or 5.56 fired BRITISH RG brass reloading | Trade Me
    This will need the primer pockets swaged. Case Capacity is down on the factory stuff so care needs to be taken when reloading.
    Get yourself a case gauge to check the resulting ammo. This will save you a lot of swearing and from wearing out your bullet puller.
    You may be best to buy the hornady training ammo if you can get it and save the cases as the brass is good stuff.

Ive been using them since i got my ar earlier in the year and in my 18 inch nea dmr with 24.5 gr of bm2 i get touching at 100 i get somewhere in the 2900 fps from memory really consistant but quite a flat nose on them

Just grabbed a box. Hey I also grabbed 5Kg of the British RG's

Cheers for the info...what powder are you using for these?

A new gun site no less., added to my list. Bugger they have Stag model 1 or 4 in stock....and the price isnt bad at all.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Case Capacity is down on the factory stuff so care needs to be taken when reloading.
    Get yourself a case gauge to check the resulting ammo. This will save you a lot of swearing and from wearing out your bullet puller.
    You may be best to buy the hornady training ammo if you can get it and save the cases as the brass is good stuff.
    Sorry forgot to quote this in my above post. Way cheaper just to fix this stuff up that by training ammo..really interested in powder load etc though.'

Cheers for this stuff Simon

Hi Greenie.
    With the RG brass I have been loading 26gn of CFE 223 with 55gn Hornady #2266 loaded to 56.8mm OAL using CCI small rifle primers.
    I have also been loading 24.6gn of H335 with 55gn Hornady #2266 loaded to 56.8mm OAL using CCI small rifle primers.
    Both of these loads are reasonably mild in my rifles but start 10% lower and work your way up.

When you get the cases give them a good tumble to clean them up, decap them, swag them, trim them then load them.
    Use a case gauge to ensure they are sized correctly.
    Good luck

Those to prices are not bad per 1000, barnauls look a bit expensive by comparison. It would be interesting to shoot all 3 to see which ones does the best (or any other cheap projectiles)
    Last edited by steven; 03-12-2014 at 08:10 PM.

I have shot both the 55gn and 62gn spbt Barnaul projectiles.
    Both shot very poorly out of all of my AR15's. Others may have had better luck but I tried all sorts of load combinations but the groups were terrible regardless.
    Both the CMJ's and the X-tremes out shot the Barnaul projectiles by some margin.

"hornady training ammo" this is obsolete? cannot see it on the Hornady web site.

Good to know, I wondered if it was the projectiles or the loading or both that makes them so poor. Think I'll avoid them, though the 303brit FMJs they do are not bad.

ouch, think I'll stay with Belmont 2nds, $27.50 for 50

What does it mean by "seconds"?