Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: 300m hare gun

300m hare gun

Got this hare hanging around the back of the house, 6pm every day. Roughly 300m away, towards a hillside. A neighbours is located to the left a bit. I thought of using the .243 but would be a bit noisy for the neighbours, plus its in Christchurch. Only have a shotgun and 10/22, cant stalk any closer. What cal would be suitable and easy? Anyone got a rifle to borrow around Oamaru? We got plenty of potatos.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Suppressed 223 is what you need for the little bugger
    GWH, Steve123, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Take the 10/22 and park up at 5pm if he is there at 6 usually and ambush him,as long as you stay still and cover any bare skin he shouldn’t notice you till it’s too late.
    tetawa, timattalon and Moa Hunter like this.

17wsm.... Going by what I've done me online, I'll tell you in a month or so if it's good at that distance

if your twoforfree is suppressed and you have clear field of fire and a safe backstop....go for it the noise made shouldnt be a heck of a lot more than the .10/22 without a suppressor...maybe twice the volume??? if you have a DPT suppressor and know where there is another one you can pinch baffles off.....baffle the rifle up with extras then verify your now poi at range then snipe the hare with minimal noise...you cant get away from the sonic crack of projectile but can capture as much of the powder boom as you "can"

you say its in Christchurch.......I take it you are OUTSIDE city boundaries?????...a phone call to neighbour to get the OK and another to coppers wouldnt be the silliest move you could make in the current climate.
    Moa Hunter and rewa like this.

some powergel and a long wire, when hes close to it push the button

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    The Hare has probably died of old age by now.
    Haha good call

Make sure wife and kids are not home, dog tied up.

Fire the .243 from inside your house, narrow window opening, way back from the narrowly open window (i.e. don't poke barrel out the window, and don't shoot so close to the window the muzzle gases break the glass).

Will eat the majority of the muzzle report and a single shot is not that easy to localise anyway by someone indoors in a nearby dwelling. And don't don't poke your head out of the window after discharging the gun.

But remember the firearms act, you must not discharge a firearm so as to cause annoyance etc. Your call.
    rossi.45 likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

At the risk of sounding like a hand-wringing vegan...... Unless it's munching up trees etc and being a nuisance just enjoy seeing it about..... They are pretty cool to see loping about....

But otherwise intercept him with the 22; lie down wearing a pair of green overalls; they're pretty easy to crawl up on.

When I was a kid we had a .20 (yes .20) bolt action Sheridan pump up air rifle. Due to Muldoon's import laws the pellets became unavailable. .22 slugs were too big; and .177 were too small and fell out of the barrel if you pointed it down. But they were the only option.....

It was accurate with V-sight to about 5m; 10m was stretching the accuracy and power! So I had to stalk to within about that distance to have any joy. Of course, headshots were mandatory. I'd hate to say how many rabbits and hares I got with that old gun, but it did entail a lot of crawling on your belly while wearing green overalls! I even nailed a stoat with it as it climbed up a barberry hedge looking for nests!
    Mooseman, trooper90, 57jl and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    17wsm.... Going by what I've done me online, I'll tell you in a month or so if it's good at that distance
    Was having a play with one yesterday, impressive and noisy (without being suppressed), but I think 300m on hares would be stretching it a little - especially if there is a little breeze. Maybe want to look at a 223. A 204 would be just the berries, but seem hard to find these days and the ammo is pricey compared to similar sized calibers.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

If they breed like rabbits there will be 5000 plus there now, you'll need a semi.
    SlimySquirrel and Moa Hunter like this.

Haha just saw how old original post was..
    Moa Hunter and rossi.45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Haha just saw how old original post was..
    Ha ha; me too now

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you say its in Christchurch.......I take it you are OUTSIDE city boundaries?????...a phone call to neighbour to get the OK and another to coppers wouldnt be the silliest move you could make in the current climate.
    Just remember if you are shooting in a legally good spot to shoot..... That call to your neighbors is to notify them out of courtesy that you will be shooting. Don't feel like shooting is something that requires permission to do. (depending on situation/place)
    Courtesy is what people with manners have and use, but beware of the neighbors who think you have to notify them. Politely educate them that you are being courteous for the sake of being polite and friendly.
    I speak from experience, my neighbors seem to think that I am obliged to notify them of my shooting habits. Lucky for them I am a nice guy and go out of my way to let them know in advance etc.
    Use enough gun