Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree18710Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

Your efforts are paying off. Bastard rats.

Decent weekend away with the Family.

Smacked with the .17 marlin

Name:  Huntech Boys 3.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  248.1 KB
    Dundee, kiwi39, Beaker and 5 others like this.

Early morning Hare in the heavy frost.

Name:  4f9f12e2ffbd3df0df770701f1f20484b0be4a0bc165f3225554c24069825427.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  249.2 KB

Was probably out to try and thaw out its ass and you go and do that haha

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    Was probably out to try and thaw out its ass and you go and do that haha

Sent from my workbench
    Was only out to get some wood for the fire and check out the frost when some movement caught my eye....Took me 5 min to get my stuff sorted so he had time to leave.... He went stiff pretty quick too!
    Dundee and smidey like this.

SS ,

Good to see your kids involved , whats their age , my boy is 4 1/2 & he had his 1st aided shoot when he was 3 , a bit too young to hold the cutdown 22 totally by him self , but will get him back on the rifle soon , just need to put a front sling point in , so I can put a cheap bipod up front , then all he needs to do is support the back .

Going to get him some things to wear on the farm , camo jacket , trou etc , and show him basic stuff , light fires , cook stuff etc , both my boy & girl 3 , know what happens on the farm , Daddy kills stuff , either as pests or to eat .
    When at home , all the meat on the table they eat ,I tell them what animal it is , ie Pig , Cow , Chicken/bird , or Shawn the sheep , instead of Pork , Beef , Mutton , and I tell them all animals are TASTY as they are made of MEAT , they are under NO ILLUSIONs as too where MEAT comes from .

Later Chris
    veitnamcam, Maca49 and screamO like this.

57 roos last night.. well off track and playing in the spaniard again. Managed to drop a few at 400 yards too, before we got the torches out.

Starting to wonder just how much longer my 223 barrel will last..
    Dundee and Marty Henry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    SS ,

Good to see your kids involved , whats their age , my boy is 4 1/2 & he had his 1st aided shoot when he was 3 , a bit too young to hold the cutdown 22 totally by him self , but will get him back on the rifle soon , just need to put a front sling point in , so I can put a cheap bipod up front , then all he needs to do is support the back .

Going to get him some things to wear on the farm , camo jacket , trou etc , and show him basic stuff , light fires , cook stuff etc , both my boy & girl 3 , know what happens on the farm , Daddy kills stuff , either as pests or to eat .
    When at home , all the meat on the table they eat ,I tell them what animal it is , ie Pig , Cow , Chicken/bird , or Shawn the sheep , instead of Pork , Beef , Mutton , and I tell them all animals are TASTY as they are made of MEAT , they are under NO ILLUSIONs as too where MEAT comes from .

Later Chris
    They're 8 and 11.

Eldest boy is a decent shot now and that is thanks to the .17 being super accurate and having no recoil so there is no flinch.

I reckon the truth about animals is important from a young age so they learn to try new things on the table.

They are silly keen on hunting now so a .223 has been purchased so they can move up the ranks!

Hey Dundee - other than my lawn grass - what do you think he might like to eat - do they like carrots?
    Just as well my time doesn't cost anything and I had a bit of No 8 wire - but it was a bit of a challenge to get it working - you might need to provide specifications
    Just need some netting and will be good to go
    Little shit is digging holes in the lawn, looking through the ranch slider and hiding under the barbeque cover
    Cats are too well fed round here

try silver beat time out. Have you got a slug gun?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

SS ,

The 223 is a very good choice for them at their current age , maybe look at a CZ527 as the rifle is small & scaled down to the calibre in hte case of the 223 , and also run with a can like your 17 , KEEP their eyes in GOOD shape .

Mate, I secured a Heavy barrel .223 I know that sounds a bit strange when you consider how small they are!
    The reasoning is this...I wan them to learn how to shoot prone as it takes a bit of time to get set up and settled in behind the rifle. I have been making them head shoot Vermin that we sneak up on so they have time to do so.

When they get a bit stronger I can get them a CZ or Tikka super light or something along those lines... But also I have a Manners stocked 6.5 Rem 700 and the .223 is in an XLR Chassis so we will swap Stocks when I think they are ready for the bigger stock.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    57 roos last night.. well off track and playing in the spaniard again. Managed to drop a few at 400 yards too, before we got the torches out.

Starting to wonder just how much longer my 223 barrel will last..
    At the rate your going I'm wondering how much longer the wallabies will last!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    At the rate your going I'm wondering how much longer the wallabies will last!
    We've been making steady and definite progress on them.. gives a real sense of satisfaction to cover ground you would have previously shot 20-30 off and being lucky to now see even 1 or 2.

They'll always be around though, we'll never be able to get rid of them all.. Won't stop me trying though!
    Beaker, smidey and Marty Henry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    SS ,

The 223 is a very good choice for them at their current age , maybe look at a CZ527 as the rifle is small & scaled down to the calibre in hte case of the 223 , and also run with a can like your 17 , KEEP their eyes in GOOD shape .
    I'd look at the ruger American compact, my standard sized one shoots really well out of the box and had a good adjustable trigger

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.