Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Deer on the side of the road

Had a colleague drive through Haast around 2am during the roar 3 years ago, he came across a mob of hinds in the middle of the road. I've seen a couple of yearlings in McKenzie county late at night beside the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    A mate experienced that on his farm up the back of Taranaki. Put out nailed boards. They came back and did quite a bit of damage to property and killing stock. Not deterred he put out boards everywhere. He located them stuck one night and they had a chat with his brother and a batten. He watched with a crow bar so they could not run away. This was in 1989. No one travels up his dead end road anymore.
    I met a bloke who had a boy racer problem on his quiet deadend road - he hammered in half length warratahs on an angle sticking out of the road about 300mm - boy racers got their sumps ripped out on their cars when they came through that night
    Used his lifting tool to jack them out the next morning, quite a bit of oil about..
    Moa Hunter, BSA270, Jusepy and 1 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    There's a bit more of a story to it. There was pig skins hanging there before our time here and at one stage they left a heap of offal just laying there beside the road so I put a post on the local buy sell group asking people to stop doing it and then the games began, gutbags left in our gateway just down the road from it etc, we started padlocking the gate and the chain got cut off it a couple times. There's a paddock just before it and we've found gutbags and heads laying in there several times where they've been shot from the road and we find ute tracks through the grass on a regular basis. There's been a pile of piglets all torn up by dogs left there and several early velvet bucks heads left hanging on the fence last year too, I probably should have just left it alone but since I put that post up it's like a fun game for whoever it is that does it
    We had 'trouble' with trespassing / illegal hunting on our Murchison farm. Gave the pig hunting rights to a bloke who was feared by all, on the condition that he kept the poachers off. No more problems. One day he gave three blokes a hiding, threw them in the river and took the pig they had. Others were tracked down at the pub and found somewhere else to hunt
    Trout, 308, Micky Duck and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Arseholes
    What he said.

That would make me angry too if it were my farm. God help them if you caught them. Their skin might be hanging on the fence too........

A couple of roadside photos from last year and this years efforts for forum members to enjoy

Name:  Red stag in velvet.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  355.3 KB

Obviously a photo of a stag in velvet.... taken awhile ago.

Name:  Red deer hind watching123.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  230.9 KB

As per usual.... Again drove down the road and spotted another deer on the side of the road. No more road photos for awhile, but feel free to put your own up.

Dogs being allowed to rip up pigletS,not nice.I dont mind watching a sow mooching around with her familly at foot.I wouldnt shoot her,gota give the familly some pleasure in life befor they are tipped over.

Name:  IMG_20221227_101852_676.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  5.66 MB
    Name:  IMG_20221227_101831_371.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  5.24 MB
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

it would almost be funny to find out where these jokers live and pay visit in wee small hours on your tractor with the effluent tank in tow.let gravity do its thing and return in time to start milking...but I guess at least its not a cow hide on the fence.
    Trout and dannyb like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Awesome photos!

Hot wire the fence from under ground electric fence.
    XR500 and MCCPRO like this.

Banned
    Camera - must be skinning at home and coming back with the skins, perhaps going past on the way to work

There's a bit more of a story to it. There was pig skins hanging there before our time here and at one stage they left a heap of offal just laying there beside the road so I put a post on the local buy sell group asking people to stop doing it and then the games began, gutbags left in our gateway just down the road from it etc, we started padlocking the gate and the chain got cut off it a couple times. There's a paddock just before it and we've found gutbags and heads laying in there several times where they've been shot from the road and we find ute tracks through the grass on a regular basis. There's been a pile of piglets all torn up by dogs left there and several early velvet bucks heads left hanging on the fence last year too, I probably should have just left it alone but since I put that post up it's like a fun game for whoever it is that does it
    What total c…ts !? What arseholes do this shit & think it’s ok ? Or funny ?!
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

the same sort of people that think its ok to cross private land without permission to get a wild animal

gmm
    Reminds me of issues my father-in-law had many years ago.
    He brought a rough block at the end of a dead-end road which gave access to the harbour and many people used this access point to get flounder.
    He had no issue with people crossing his farm but expected if he was there, they had the decency to ask.
    He had a few issues as he developed the place but nothing too serious until he built and new cowshed and barn. People believed the content of his fuel tanks was theirs and that used the hay barn for parties, almost burning it down. They then cut fences so that they could drive down to the shore.
    After he build the house and lived on the farm, he had a few issued but most were sorted out without any incidents, however he had 2 guys who he trespassed as they were semi commercial as he caught them with 15 dozen flounder, and they almost end up in a fist fight.
    These guys continued to sneak onto the farm and again cut the fences to get down to the large haul of flounder they had caught.
    He started to wait out for these guys and after a few long nights when the tide was right, they visited again.
    They parked their car on the side of the hill and headed off, he got the tractor and used the front-end loader to roll the car down off the side of the hill, parked the tractor and went home.
    3 in the morning there was knock on the door and the 2 guys were there, as you can imagine there was a bit of discussion, with the father-in-law telling them to fu*k off and refused to let them use the phone as he was the only house on the road. It was a 5 mile walk to the main road for them to hitch hike home
    The dragged the car up the next morning and left it on the road side.
    After this they got the message.
    Trout, Dreamer, 308 and 5 others like this.

These guys here were having a good look for one.Name:  Nightvision.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  566.0 KB