Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Deer in Southern areas?

Deer in Southern areas?

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/deer-devi...the-deep-south
    Just read this may interest you , access issues probably caused this problem.

We should all definitely shoot more hinds everywhere we go.
    199p, Freezer, Hook_Grass and 2 others like this.

I wouldn't say it's high quality reporting, so let's get that out of the way, not endlessly complain about it, and move onto what we as hunters can actually do, within our control, to help prevent the increasing deer numbers in some places around the country becoming an issue for the future of hunting in NZ: remove more breeding females whenever the opportunity presents itself

there definitely is a problem in some areas and hunter access can be hard to get, some farmers want the deer gone and are happy to let people go hunting while the farmer next door likes the deer and doesent want anyone to shoot them. took a mate out earlier this week to get his first deer and shot 2 hinds out of a mob of 7 and will be back to shoot some more once the venison gets low.
    tetawa, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

A lot of built up areas in southland because half the public land you can't get access to.
    BSA270, Strummer and Sako851 like this.

NRT
    Like accessing through Cattle Flat station to land locked DOC block that has deer galore

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    Like accessing through Cattle Flat station to land locked DOC block that has deer galore
    Locked roads that lead to doc land are also really offputting. :/ Been sending out a couple of letters to ask landowners permission to cross their paddocks to access difficult-to-reach areas, hopefully they respond.
    But yeah I understand people get paranoid when it comes to safety, especially when firearms are involved.
    Danny and BSA270 like this.

I was talking to a Farmer who gave us access through his farm to a Doc block this roar about how the said Doc block was completly overrun and the quality of the bush and the deer was badly suffering. I asked him how many of the hunters he lets have access through his farm to the boock would come out having shot hinds. He held up his hand in the shape of a donut and told us we were the first for a long time. He said most guys just tell him the stags were shit so they shot nothing.

We had shot 7 deer that trip, 5 were hinds.

Quote Originally Posted by LMcNab View Post
    I was talking to a Farmer who gave us access through his farm to a Doc block this roar about how the said Doc block was completly overrun and the quality of the bush and the deer was badly suffering. I asked him how many of the hunters he lets have access through his farm to the boock would come out having shot hinds. He held up his hand in the shape of a donut and told us we were the first for a long time. He said most guys just tell him the stags were shit so they shot nothing.

We had shot 7 deer that trip, 5 were hinds.
    Exactly, everybody is saying ito shoot more hinds. but bugger all are doing it. Some of these private land helicopter operations tend to be stag focused as well. Lots of antler in that articles photos.

well,when access is granted,I will shoot what I can use.... hate the thought of leaving venison to rot.... my freezers are in healthy state ,all three of them....but intend to shoot another deer in next month and make sausages and patties..... might just shoot two.
    BSA270, Synthetic and Ronin007 like this.

lots of antler...and one looked a rather good antler too......par for the course unfortunately.

It’s bullshit. There’s no deer here
    jakewire, Micky Duck, NO4 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    It’s bullshit. There’s no deer here
    Excepting the sound of stags roaring that’s the impression I got down the Catlins this roar block I had for two days - but then I was coaching a beginner (wife!) so wasn’t full-on into stalking mode as I would have been if hunting alone.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

There's definitely to many deer about in many places, the affect hunters can have on private land numbers will always be limited by the landowner though. On public land access is a major factor.

Attitude/ethics is probably the next most important factor. If an area is holding very high numbers then is it really wasting and wrong to shoot 2-3 hinds/deer and only carry out back steaks and fillets? Compared to shooting only one deer and carrying out all the meat shooting multiple animals is better in the long-run.
    Sideshow and Micky Duck like this.

The hippies shouldn't have taken everyone's AR15s then.
    jakewire, NRT, norsk and 2 others like this.