Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree27Likes
  • 19 Post By superdiver
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By SmokeyJason
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By CanuckHunterAB
  • 1 Post By Juicy

Thread: Fallow on the bow

Fallow on the bow

Was lucky enough to get an invite down the line to chase fallow with a two of my good friends, this being on the back of one of them being brand new to hunting and only being interested in bows. This is one of the main reasons I have picked my one up again after giving it a good crack a couple years ago but losing interest due to lack of success and my local block getting smashed by cullers/having pines cut down. Stopped in at taupo on Saturday morning so one of the boys could grab his gear and we could check our bows, I was bang on at 25 and 30yds but beyond 35 something was going wrong(think my bottom pins are out) and my friend was shooting really well out to 45. On the road to our mates mate and then we were hunting by about 4ish. We started seeing goats immediately and my friend snuck in from well over 100m in to 59yds and drilled a nanny which decided to run off the road edge and disappear over a steep face, good shooting though so confidence was high and I was eager to get something to. First major slip i got to had a young fallow snoozing on it but 150m~ and couldn't get around to drop onto it so we continued on. About 10 mins further along we could see a large skid site where I thought a goat may be so the stalk was on! About 30m back from It I stuck my head over a bank and saw a mob of fallow yearlings feeding on the grass under the pines. My rifle toting friend was good enough to get a sneaky range on them for me(he got some good karma for this which paid off later...) and luckily enough the lead animal was at 30yds! I tried to get into position but wasn't happy so managed to sneak further along and draw my bow. As I popped up the lead animal turned to face me and I let him have a 100gr little evil to the chest. At the shot all the animals ran so gave him 15 minutes as was worried if I chased at all it would push the animal into deep cover. After 15 minutes I went the spot but no blood(as expected) and followed where they had run but I ended up following his mates and after 80-100m of good tracks and no blood I turned back to go see my friend and see if he could help me. Turns out he had walked 15m from where I had left him and found a drop of blood so when I got to him I started tracking and found more blood, then a broken arrow then a deer! Success had finally come 4 years after picking up the bow and I was very happy to have shared the moment with a friend who has been with me for multiple firsts making it even more special. Butchered the deer and the other turned up about 15 minutes later which was good timing. Nothing else really happened for me besides stalking in on a few goats and shooting one that day. My friend who was with me(also on the forum) had a pretty good encounter later on but will leave him to share and my other friend with the bow had a rangefinder mishap which saw him shoot over a yearling at 42yds which was a shame. All in all a good weekend with the boys though which Is hard to beat especially when you bring home some meat too.
    Name:  IMG_20240218_181424_141.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  2.25 MB
    stug, tikka, samohtxotom and 16 others like this.

great going..... looks tasty.
    superdiver and Billbob like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Bows are great fun

Wicked, well done!

Awesome job!! Congrats!
    superdiver likes this.

Congratulations! I'm so impressed by people who can actually get dear with bows. The stoke factor must be next level! Enjoy!
    superdiver likes this.