Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: First hunt attempt.

First hunt attempt.

Kia Ora team,

With some super helpful advice from you guys me and a buddy headed out the Kaimais for my frist attempt at a hunt ever and while we didn't manage to see anything still had an awesome time and learned a lot.

Hiked out the end of Whakamarama at 4am on Waitangi day to get to the swamp clearings by one and we were about 20 mins off onto an unmarked track when we heard a deer barking/grunting at us. It was bloody exciting but as it was still pitch black we couldn't do anything about it. Got up to the big clearing we were aiming for by sunrise and didn't spot anything so had a coffee by the river and then snuck off into the bush south of the clearing following game trails.

Found heaps of fresh sign on our walk through but in hindsight I would say we were going far too quick and noisy. A good lesson learned. But trying to stalk and keeping an eye out for sign for the first time was fun. Came across an area with heaps of fresh looking shiny poo that smelled musky as like something had been there recently but eventually we lost the trail.

Got out by about 1pm. An awesome soft intro into the process and I can't wait wait to get out there again.

Any thoughts, advice etc would be awesome.
    veitnamcam, Trout, 199p and 7 others like this.

Good stuff mate, I'm almost envious of the stage you're at, it's such an exciting time in a hunting career. Stalking in on a deer in the bush is no mean feat, you are in their environment and they have the upper hand, you have to have everything go right to pull it off. Slips hunting not so much so long as you're confident at whatever range, it's just a matter of when and where they will come out. Nothing beats the rush of bush hunting but if you fellas are just keen on getting your first deer I'd focus your efforts on the slips personally. Best of luck nothing beats the feeling of getting that first deer!

Quote Originally Posted by samohtxotom View Post
    Good stuff mate, I'm almost envious of the stage you're at, it's such an exciting time in a hunting career. Stalking in on a deer in the bush is no mean feat, you are in their environment and they have the upper hand, you have to have everything go right to pull it off. Slips hunting not so much so long as you're confident at whatever range, it's just a matter of when and where they will come out. Nothing beats the rush of bush hunting but if you fellas are just keen on getting your first deer I'd focus your efforts on the slips personally. Best of luck nothing beats the feeling of getting that first deer!
    Thanks mate that's awesome advice! Any recommendations of slips to try out for my frist time? I realise that's a sensitive topic haha

Try, try, try again.
    Keep going back to the same place until you know where the game trails are, the wollows and rubbing, the good grass grazing, the slip and the lookout points.
    It sounds like you had a good plan and there was plenty of sign there, so then it just becomes a matter ot timing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shippo View Post
    Thanks mate that's awesome advice! Any recommendations of slips to try out for my frist time? I realise that's a sensitive topic haha
    Not up your ways sadly lol but just have a real good look on a high quality satellite map such as https://basemaps.linz.govt.nz/ around where your access points are, and then try and figure out a good glassing point from there. Once you find a good spot you'll be set for life, I don't remember the last time I didn't see a deer at my spot in the ruahines, but when I first started hunting a few years back I went 6 months going out every weekend before getting my first deer.
    Hugh Shields likes this.

very good advice from Hugh Shields - must be a typo in your story -left at 4 am to get to swamp clearings at 1 - do you mean in 1 hour - anyway you are in right place - and seeing sign and spooked one - how far from farmland/road end/ clearings was that deer --keep doing what you are doing - but I suggest you split up -much quieter on your own - hit that area you saw all the sign early and with wind right and slowly with lots of stop and listen - as Hugh said build up a picture of that area - hunt that area with sign early or late - mid day well spend some time in another area and see what sign is there and go back to your known area at right time - keep at it -
    Hugh Shields likes this.

be careful if split up......make darn sure you have clear defined areas to each hunt if you do.... slow down in fresh sign till you think your going too slow,then slow down some more. carry and use binoculars to check out dodgy/weird/different looking things in the bush....amazing how you can seem to see "through" a wall of vegetation using focus.
    wind direction is paramount....a ciggy lighter in top pocket is your friend here,get it out,quick flick and you know for sure which way your scent is being carried.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yeah fully agree with @Micky Duck re using binoculars. Even when rabbiting I can watch a face for 5 - 10 minutes and see nothing. Then I invariably say to myself, "There must be something on that face!?" Out come the binoculars and 10 seconds later I've spotted three rabbits. It amazes me how often that happens. Same with spotting deer in the bush or on the bush edges of slips and grass flats.

Bloody awesome. Can’t wait for my next trip. Nice and slow, or even sit and wait with the wind in your favour. Although I have not shot my first one yet I have been next to others when they have. Happy stalking.

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by samohtxotom View Post
    Not up your ways sadly lol but just have a real good look on a high quality satellite map such as https://basemaps.linz.govt.nz/ around where your access points are, and then try and figure out a good glassing point from there. Once you find a good spot you'll be set for life, I don't remember the last time I didn't see a deer at my spot in the ruahines, but when I first started hunting a few years back I went 6 months going out every weekend before getting my first deer.
    Dang those are good quality, and 'only' 2 years old. *throws app away*

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    Dang those are good quality, and 'only' 2 years old. *throws app away*

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    OUCH!!!
    the clearings will still be there...the hills are still there,they havent moved..2 years is but a heartbeat in time for the hills.
    bush doesnt regenerate that fast that a 2 year old map is redundant.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Dont leave to early,get the your deer barking area just on daylight.Wait and watch 20minuts.Move another 30 metres watch and wait 20minuts.You never know whats going to show their face.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    OUCH!!!
    the clearings will still be there...the hills are still there,they havent moved..2 years is but a heartbeat in time for the hills.
    bush doesnt regenerate that fast that a 2 year old map is redundant.
    They are extraordinary quality pics and it's nice they actually have a date. I imagine there's quite a few new slips after the weather last January though. I guess I'll just have to go have a look

Wild Hunt likes this.

While early morning and evening are prime times to hunt don’t discount other times of the day. When we were using trail cameras a lot it was amazing to see the amount of deer movement especially 10am to about 2 pm. When bush hunting hunt very slow when you are into good sign and use your ears as well, deer can be quite noisy when feeding and moving about.
    Keep at it and success will come your way.
    tetawa likes this.

man cicadas make it hard to hear anything in the bush at the moment
    Micky Duck and Eat Meater like this.