Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Guns on a plane?

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    That happened to me on an international flight from Auckland last year, didn't go down well when I told the security supervisor that it was just a chunk of metal that I could hit someone over the head with, he spat the dummy and called the cops. Airport copper duly arrived and could see the funny side and also the rules. Luckily I made my flight with all my stuff. Good wraps to the Air NZ staff, they sent up a guy to relieve me of the offending part and place it in one of my bags, but shit that Security supervisor was anal.
    Mine was domestic. Late into the airport from a hunting trip, threw my rifle and pack into check in, ammo in pack. But it was in my day pack/carry on...I'd flown up from Dunedin with it the same way with no problems...no x-ray screening! Rifle/bolt/ammo all in separate compartments. Anyway, the security lady pinged me and made a big song and dance, but after apologising numerous times and trying to explain I was just out of the bush, was tired and had made an honest mistake, I was getting nowhere. In the end I started getting pissed off with her, trying to explain a rifle bolt is a useless piece of equipment without the rifle and ammunition, but that didn't help. In the end a male security guard stepped in and offered to just put my backpack down in the baggage compartment himself, and said to me while we were walking to the plane, "Don't worry about her mate, she's a muppet. What's more important is how'd the hunting trip go?" Lol
    Bryan, Gibo and PERRISCICABA like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    What's the go with taking firearms in you car in November Gibo? Any special rules?
    Oh course. All mags and chambers empty

a text i received shortly after dropping my mate off at the airport for his flight back to Denmark. We had been out spotlighting the night before. Turned out customs either didn't see them or didn't care.
    Dougie and Gibo like this.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Mine was domestic. Late into the airport from a hunting trip, threw my rifle and pack into check in, ammo in pack. But it was in my day pack/carry on...I'd flown up from Dunedin with it the same way with no problems...no x-ray screening! Rifle/bolt/ammo all in separate compartments. Anyway, the security lady pinged me and made a big song and dance, but after apologising numerous times and trying to explain I was just out of the bush, was tired and had made an honest mistake, I was getting nowhere. In the end I started getting pissed off with her, trying to explain a rifle bolt is a useless piece of equipment without the rifle and ammunition, but that didn't help. In the end a male security guard stepped in and offered to just put my backpack down in the baggage compartment himself, and said to me while we were walking to the plane, "Don't worry about her mate, she's a muppet. What's more important is how'd the hunting trip go?" Lol

I was checking in up the sharp end with 2 rifles and 2 bags, all was ok until I walked away from the checkin counter when the checkin lady could see that my cabin bag weighed more that 7kg's and she called me back to weigh it. It weighed about 18kg's so she got me to take stuff out of it and put it in my checked in baggage. While doing this I inadvertently removed a little plastic container which housed my bolts and batteries and placed them in my hand carry, from then on it was all down hill.

The copper was much like your male security man.

Aussie customs is another story, you need your paperwork in order for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    FYI those AirNZ rules are for international flights. Domestic is easy, rock up with the firearms in a locked case, and ammo and bolt in another locked bag, sign the docket and produce the docket when picking up the bags. The downside is that you need to have 2 bags on your ticket, and make sure you do it before arriving at the airport. $30 extra when booking the ticket vs $70 when paying at check in.

Flew Jetstar only once in 2012 with firearms and the check in folks had to call thru to Australia for information on firearms, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Attachment 30192

On the plus side of travelling with firearms out of Queenstown, the security / x-ray folks are very chatty and let you take photos of your gear when it's xrayed.
    Jetstar is far easier compared to air new zealand, you must of got a real numb nuts! The bonus being you don't get charged with extra bags and the additional weight if needed is significantly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    I was checking in up the sharp end with 2 rifles and 2 bags, all was ok until I walked away from the checkin counter when the checkin lady could see that my cabin bag weighed more that 7kg's and she called me back to weigh it. It weighed about 18kg's so she got me to take stuff out of it and put it in my checked in baggage. While doing this I inadvertently removed a little plastic container which housed my bolts and batteries and placed them in my hand carry, from then on it was all down hill.

The copper was much like your male security man.

Aussie customs is another story, you need your paperwork in order for them.
    19kg is my personal best for carry on. Those steel plates of neckshots are farking heavy!
    veitnamcam and 300winmag like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Oh course. All mags and chambers empty
    Got it. Penthouse and Playboy OK and take a dump before we depart.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Got it. Penthouse and Playboy OK and take a dump before we depart.
    Yeah mate thats about the rules covered I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Scar him for life you think? The boys down there might stick him on a spit and roost him.
    Might be better off plying Spook with alcohol and using his bus for a weekend while they sort out the permit system.
    I've never been up Thompsons Track and have often looked at the faces above the kaimai rail tunnel and wondered what the hunting was like there.
    hey im pretty scared from the two trips down there lol
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

im flyin to welly in a couple weeks-so rifle in hard case- ammo in an ammo box in checked baggage?

who has decent lockable rifle boxes for sale these days?

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    im flyin to welly in a couple weeks-so rifle in hard case- ammo in an ammo box in checked baggage?

who has decent lockable rifle boxes for sale these days?
    Get onto the website of the airline you're flying with to check what their requirements are.
    Any hunting/ outdoors store should have stacks of Plano gun transport cases....you're in CHC ? You shouldn't have a problem.

B

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    just rock in on the day with a fully locked hard case = bolt and ammo in separate check bag, if you are worried about separating bolt (as i am on flights) tell them its a semi auto.

its really straight forward they do it alot
    Addicted to gun powder