Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Kudu
  • 1 Post By 264 magic
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 3 Post By DavidGunn
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 1 Post By hebe
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Harkness Hut

Harkness Hut

Evening All,
    I'm going to be heading into the Harkness in January and I was curious on a couple of things from those that had been there. It will not be a serious hunting trip as I'm taking the wife and kids on their first Heli trip. Anyway on the map I see there are some exposed tops to the west of harkness. Is it worth heading up there to look for a deer or at that time of year in that area is it just as likely to find them lower down in the valley?
    Also how far up the valley towards Tussock hut do you have to go before the valley starts to open up a bit? Or in general does Tussock Hut offer more hunting options?
    Cheers
    Scott.
    chainsaw likes this.

thems te rua tops,,well worth a visit,,easy to get to,,youll see a prominant spur just a bit down below the forks,,sidle to your left when on top and be there early,,keep low when sidling as there are guts that arent obvious,,eels for kids in the main ck and some nice gullies below tussock on your left if youre into a bit of long range,,late eve
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 264 magic View Post
    thems te rua tops,,well worth a visit,,easy to get to,,youll see a prominant spur just a bit down below the forks,,sidle to your left when on top and be there early,,keep low when sidling as there are guts that arent obvious,,eels for kids in the main ck and some nice gullies below tussock on your left if youre into a bit of long range,,late eve
    Ha! I'm not the only one up at stupid o"clock then! Cheers that was just what I was after. I'll make sure to take an eeling line for the boys then!!
    Cheers.

great wee hut and spot. Plenty of trout in the stream. You don't have to go too far towards Tussock to get onto some good spots. Heaps of stream crossings to contend with though - so take some crocs or boat shoes if you dont like wet boots.
    Te Puke tops the other direction also worth a look
    Kudu likes this.

Lovely area Harkness/ Tussock. I have spent a bit of time over the years up at Tussock and there is a lot of good hunting around there. If you are at Tussock you can climb the face opposite the hut and follow the bush edge into a nice gully with a creek in it which has plenty of grass along the banks and cover on the faces, ideal sika country. Animals can be encountered along the Harkness valley between the huts. The bush can be a bit tight in places but good in others . You and your family should have a great time in there.
    Kudu likes this.

Well worth a walk up to Te Puke, even if it is just to look at the toys on the roof
    Name:  IMG_2353.JPG
Views: 1000
Size:  287.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2354.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  270.7 KB
    Seventenths, Kudu and Frogfeatures like this.

Plenty of scope for what you wanna do with family... As .264magic said... that leading spur up to Te Rua tops... go south on those tops as there's some nice grassy gullies... even continuing south into the bush following the ridge you'll bump into some nice gully heads and just follow your nose and you'll pop out into the main Tussock - Harkness Valley, hit the track and walk back to Harkness.

Nice walk up to Te Puke Hut... always ran into deer on that track and also a nice walk down to Ngaawapurua Hut.
    Kudu likes this.

Harkness is a nice spot. Harkness saddle north of the hut actually has the highest deer pellet abundance of the entire kaweka , but the bush isn't amazing. Te Rua tops are well worth a look. The bush on the far side towards Golden Hills just below the bushline can be quite productive, and theres good grassy gullies on the southern end of Te Rua itself.

All in all, plenty of scope for you!
    Kudu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Harkness is a nice spot. Harkness saddle north of the hut actually has the highest deer pellet abundance of the entire kaweka , but the bush isn't amazing. Te Rua tops are well worth a look. The bush on the far side towards Golden Hills just below the bushline can be quite productive, and theres good grassy gullies on the southern end of Te Rua itself.

All in all, plenty of scope for you!
    Thanks Hebe. I'll let you know how I go.

Yeah mean area, enjoy. Makes me want to head back in there!
    Rusky likes this.

LOC
    plenty of that rank red scrub up the harness valley, if it looks like going through it is a shortcut to the tops it isn't and will break you will to live
    great spot though. track out to the puke tops is fast moving

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    plenty of that rank red scrub up the harness valley, if it looks like going through it is a shortcut to the tops it isn't and will break you will to live
    great spot though. track out to the puke tops is fast moving
    If one was going to go to the puke tops then one may as well use the puke hut.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    You can head up towards Te Puke hut and drop into Tui creek on your right and hunt all the way down to the river, bush hunting down the creek.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!