Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 2 Post By Freezer
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Sika Seeker

Thread: Importing rifles

Importing rifles

I'm trying to get my hands on a model of browning x bolt not available in nz. Is there any way to bring one in myself? Anyone done this before? Or anyone know who the browning importer for nz is. I heard possibly a guy in Rotorua? Cheers

have heard it costs a lot more than you would expect

Unforunatly its very expensive

You should try and find out who imports them ( cameron's sports possibly ) and try and get on one special order with there next shipment.

What model do you want and when do you want it by?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Its no problem to import a rifle.

Just a few things to understand, it costs plenty

Export permit, with or without commission (depends on exporter, most have a minimum charge ie $4-500 USD) shipping, $2-400 USD, customs brokers fees, customs fees, & gst

A much better proposition is to get one locally, if they will provide one within a sensible time frame...

Importing works if you can't (easily) get a particular rifle here, run of the mill stuff, not so much

I have imported & exported rifles, its not that difficult you just need to follow the correct process

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Its no problem to import a rifle.

Just a few things to understand, it costs plenty

Export permit, with or without commission (depends on exporter, most have a minimum charge ie $4-500 USD) shipping, $2-400 USD, customs brokers fees, customs fees, & gst

A much better proposition is to get one locally, if they will provide one within a sensible time frame...

Importing works if you can't (easily) get a particular rifle here, run of the mill stuff, not so much

I have imported & exported rifles, its not that difficult you just need to follow the correct process
    this is the truth, having done it a few times
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

No one recommended just buying a Sako
    tetawa and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

I'm after an eclipse hunter in .308 not in a mad hurry mate but I'm dead keen on one so willing to wait

Quote Originally Posted by Sika Seeker View Post
    I'm after an eclipse hunter in .308 not in a mad hurry mate but I'm dead keen on one so willing to wait
    What is the exact difference between an eclipse and the normal Browning X Bolt? I see it has a nicer stock, is it the same action set into a thumbhole stock? It may be easier to import a stock if you can get the actions here. Or build one yourself, especially seeing as it is a common calibre.

Have thought the same thing. Boyds don't do a thumbhole for the xbolt and to get one made would be pricey. Only other option would be if another rifle had a close enough bedding pattern to the xbolt that I could modify slightly? Need a thumbhole coz my wrists don't rotate much

Have thought the same thing. Boyds don't do a thumbhole for the xbolt and to get one made would be pricey. Only other option would be if another rifle had a close enough bedding pattern to the xbolt that I could modify slightly? Need a thumbhole coz my wrists don't rotate much
    Boyds do uninletted blanks. Yu may have to ask as I cannot find my way around their new website. (Their old one was easier to navigate) They are shaped, uninletted and unfinished so you need to inlet them and sand and varnish them. I got one in for a EM332 22 that I could not source a stock for. That could be worth looking into. Its very rewarding at a personal level.

Another option would be try somewhere like Laminated Blanks

Bear in mind that Richards will not export so you will need someone in the US to receive it and forward to you. Its not a price thing so much, as I understand it they just cannot be bothered with the bureaucracy involved in setting up for handling export orders etc.

Be aware that any firearms parts, including stocks, if over US$100 needs an export permit. Don't get your mate in trouble trying to save a few bucks.
    mikee likes this.

Yeah I'm aware of the 100usd threshold. I wasn't aware you could get blanks I'll definitely look into that. I'm a joiner so shouldn't be to difficult to get it to fit from a blank. Cheers
    199p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Be aware that any firearms parts, including stocks, if over US$100 needs an export permit. Don't get your mate in trouble trying to save a few bucks.
    Indeed. I was not suggesting going over the $100 at al. But Richards will not ship ex the US because of the paperwork involved in dealing with export issues so they are happy restricting themselves to US customers. Price is actually better than Boyds and they have a far bigger selection.

From memory the Boyds blanks were about half the price of a finished stock.

Yeah I'm aware of the 100usd threshold. I wasn't aware you could get blanks I'll definitely look into that. I'm a joiner so shouldn't be to difficult to get it to fit from a blank. Cheers
    If you work with wood for a living, have you considered making your own stock from scratch.............Well worth the effort and the reward of a stock you made yourself is awesome....