Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Interesting Trend

I think to an extent it is generational, it seems everyone wants to be a Josh James and and not have to work 40 plus hours in some mind numbing job and I don't begrudge that but....I do begrudge our sport of hunting becoming more and more commercialized, sensationalised and generally devalued mostly by wannabe "personalities".
    7mmsaum, Pointer, madjon_ and 4 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Its a generation thing iv got a teen here & for ever online,iphone & all that go,s with it they like to shear things on there f book pages etc etc makes them cool .sadly that comes before they no how to play there cards ! lets face it agree or disagree with spot x shearing if you find a good spot how is it good to shear it with the rest of the country ...its not, aside from the likes on your channel

Just as long as it doesn't happen in my backyard. I've worked bloody hard to still find not much. I enjoy turning up to a car park and being the only vehicle there......probably empty for a reason, but just to get away for a few hours is reward enough

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Thats just silly of him but not really relevant
    Just that give someone an inch and they will take the mile. Whether its on public or private land tell someone where to hunt and before you know everyone wants a piece of the action
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Hamish, anywhere is already someone else's spot X or in what they consider their back yard...

My experience is that even if you told me go to this area, i.e. this stream off this track, I would still struggle to find a deer Knowing which area to go to is one thing, finding animals in that area is another...
    Dont disagree at all, but why advertise it i guess is my point. Yes you can tell someone where to go but sometimes they are still unable to get anything.

I have learnt the hard way to keep where i go pretty close to my chest after being burnt.

Hamish
    BRADS and Boaraxa like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I'm 50/50 - sort of.
    If you don't have hunters coming on, everyone suffers to some degree or other.
    By the same token, the 'newbies' need to prove that they're serious about hunting.
    Suggestion: Take a newbie out and observe how he behaves.
    At camp, let him/her know, that finding animals isn't a 'given'.
    If they're not prepared to learn, be disappointed and keep trying until they get their No 1 humane kill, then hunting isn't a 'time filler' that they find elsewhere.
    Usually - in most cases - some coaching in hunting techniques and shooting practises will sort the wheat from the chaff.
    Obviously, the 'stayers' can be trusted not to abuse your spot X location, but make it clear that the trust is earned, NOT given because they are friend's kids, rellies or workmates.
    Hence the 'run around' for a couple of trips before the spot X is visited - just get there using a different, longer route than you'd normally use.
    If the newbie is genuine, he/she'll work it out and join in the laugh.
    veitnamcam, Frosty, HNTMAD and 1 others like this.

Fulla
    I wouldn't put my spot out there.
    But another side to look at. If numbers get high the area will be culled or 1080ed anyway if there's big numbers. Almost doing the area good to keep numbers down.

Im a new hunter, and I have been guilty of asking a bit of advice on here, so I should explain myself...
    I have allways loved the outdoors, and am a keen fisherman and diver. I have always wanted to get into hunting, but knew nobody to show me the ropes. Finally decided to give it a crack on my own.

Ive never asked for any secret spots or anything, But I have asked if Im in the right area etc. I had no idea where to look, what to look for and how to do it.

I have got some great tips and info from this forum. I now know a little bit, and am putting in the yards and learning every time. Weather you have got advice online like me, or passed down from your father/grandfather, I dont believe every hunter has figured it out with no help at all. But I can also appreciate other peoples secrecy too.

So each to their own I reckon.
    veitnamcam, mikee, Gibo and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Every public spot in the country is at the end of someones driveway. You will learn this after you have your spot X shot out from under you and have to go shoot someone elses spot X out from under them. Got to move around on public land. The sign shooters are always at the back of the migrating heard.
    for once i tend to agree with you tussock

solo hunting for the win
    Grim likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by Durrie View Post
    Im a new hunter, and I have been guilty of asking a bit of advice on here, so I should explain myself...
    I have allways loved the outdoors, and am a keen fisherman and diver. I have always wanted to get into hunting, but knew nobody to show me the ropes. Finally decided to give it a crack on my own.

Ive never asked for any secret spots or anything, But I have asked if Im in the right area etc. I had no idea where to look, what to look for and how to do it.

I have got some great tips and info from this forum. I now know a little bit, and am putting in the yards and learning every time. Weather you have got advice online like me, or passed down from your father/grandfather, I dont believe every hunter has figured it out with no help at all. But I can also appreciate other peoples secrecy too.

So each to their own I reckon.
    Wow took the words from out of my mouth! Im in exactly the same boat!
    StagRyan and Durrie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Durrie View Post
    This is a key message that a lot of hunters who have been brought up in a hunting family don't appreciate.
    Biggun708 and StagRyan like this.

A hunters willingness to share information is inversely proportional to how how close they live to said location and directly proportional to their own access or ownership of huntable private land.
    The internet allows a whole new speed and magnitude of dickheadery to destroy publicised hunting spots, especially the accessable ones.
    Frosty, HNTMAD and Cliff like this.

Hardly mate. Look at the recent doc image of Ariel 1080 that's being applied to Clements, now look at how many people are crying bloody murder... Good chance "their" spot is inside that small red zone.
    blake and StagRyan like this.

Doc has done an amazing job of letting people know where to hunt. On top of that most doc offices will add more info on a particular area if asked.
    There is so much info that you should just get out and explore. I have no problem in naming areas to hunt as the next trip I do will hopefully be somewhere new and an adventure. Sorry if that adventure takes me to your spot x!
    Biggun708 and StagRyan like this.

Weeeeeee!