Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Molesworth roar

Quote Originally Posted by Rendogg View Post
    Yeah me and a mate have the maukuratawhai block . Had a fair bit of doc work going on in there the last few months so not sure if it’s still worth a look .
    I was in there a couple of weeks ago. Helicopters buzzing around all over the place doing wilding control. Deer were lying low but saw a few chamois. Lovely area to explore.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Think you'll find most, if not all of the blocks get a fair old goin over before the roar. All you need is a doc permit.
    I know of 2 13 pointers that came out of one of the roar blocks on the weekend.
    There are only 3 blocks that are open all year round. The others are open at different times of the year depending on stock movements within the station. As far as I am aware all of the blocks need to be booked through the Molesworth booking system and cannot be hunted on a standard DoC permit.
    It's a bit of a process working out what block is available when and booking it.
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets...s-overview.pdf
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...worth-hunting/
    Happy Jack likes this.

Bos
    Heres the top of that Block Rendogg, looking down towards Jacks pass

Name:  DSC01294.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  3.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I was in there a couple of weeks ago. Helicopters buzzing around all over the place doing wilding control. Deer were lying low but saw a few chamois. Lovely area to explore.
    I was looking into where we went last roar from the other side of the river last Friday evening, still deer about then.
    Shearer likes this.

Shit yeah looks pretty cool . Thanks for the info guys I’d say we will definitely give it a crack . Was just making sure it was worth spending the money and time heading in there after the wilding pine work . Cheers

You were one of the lucky ones to draw a block. The deer will still be there, just lying low. You may have to put a bit of effort in to score but that’s hunting, it’s not a given that you’re going to score for frig all effort considering the block you’ve drawn. Go in for the designated period, if you score an animal good on you, if not you’ve had the privilege of spending time in some fantastic country that not a lot of people get to see. Either way enjoy the experience. If you don’t go all you’ve done is deprive someone else of the opportunity to experience some fantastic country. I’ve had the privilege to spend time there annually for 30+ years and loved every minute of it.
    Bye the bye, Rangiora is fuck all distance to travel compared to the distance others will travel for this opportunity. -Rant over-

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendogg View Post
    Shit yeah looks pretty cool . Thanks for the info guys I’d say we will definitely give it a crack . Was just making sure it was worth spending the money and time heading in there after the wilding pine work . Cheers
    Name:  DSC01285.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  3.57 MB
    Most of the animals are up high in the heads of the creek where theres a bit of water and some lush growth. Find that and you'll find the deer.(Except this one, he's long gone) Few pigs down low as well
    Bugger all water till you get up high so better carry some

Think you'll find none of them are roar blocks only. A few available all year, the rest for 3 or 4 months and the roar fulls within those months. So not poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Crekyhills View Post
    Think you'll find none of them are roar blocks only. A few available all year, the rest for 3 or 4 months and the roar fulls within those months. So not poaching
    Not poaching as long as you have booked the block through the Molesworth booking system. You cannot just go in and hunt it on a standard DoC hunting permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crekyhills View Post
    Try living here it does get poached in Molesworth.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Try living here it does get poached in Molesworth.
    I guess it still does. About 16-17 years ago we came across a couple of guys spotlighting the road through to Rainbow, turned out one of our crew knew the driver. He worked on Hanmer farm, him and others used to light the easy country from Accomodation House thru to and on Rainbow Stn. quite often. Following year he drove into Hossack stn. to have a few beers with us. Hossack used to get poached too. Went in one time and some keen dude had towed a trailer and jet boat down to river flats opposite Dillon, fkn keen, must’ve known where gate key was. Neither Laurie or Mick knew they were in there. Same on St James stn. We were at Lake Guyon hut and come across horseback hunters with dogs who had come over Fowlers Pass. Fck, did old Jimmy have a fit over that, wanted the lot shot. Still gets poached in there too.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Bos
    Cant really understand that mentality these days. Yonks ago deer were scarce and poaching was rife because most of the deer had been cleaned up on public land. These days there are deer everywhere. I can see a gully out the window that will hold deer, and reasonably accessible. I know thermals are the thing for these guys that hunt from public roads, rather than spotlight in the past, but thats meat gathering and couldn't be further from hunting.
    Cant see the point in hunting somewhere without permission these days; surely you're lookin over your shoulder the whole time
    woods223 and 300wsm for life like this.

Agree with you @Bos. I do a lot of culling/recreational hunting. All no go areas are marked on gps, neighbouring owners are contacted to set ground rules. And permits, special permits in some cases, are kept current. Frequently use thermal and night vision on private land and yes it’s shooting not hunting in any way. Effective to get on top of animal problem though. There’s few people lost their gear and licence around here who were caught breaking the rules.