Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 300wsm for life
  • 1 Post By vewwwyvewwyquiet
  • 1 Post By gerwyn.woods
  • 1 Post By Lauries Hut
  • 1 Post By hunt08

Thread: North Island spots to introduce kids to hunting

Question North Island spots to introduce kids to hunting

Hello All

I'm based in Waikato and have got my regular spots for hunting (usually Sika...usually in the kaimanawas) but I'm looking at getting my boy out into the real world. We do some circuits together on friends farms for goats, which are easily accessible....so hes getting used to stalking/moving quietly and safety around firearms. The issue I'm imagining and the reason for this post is trying to find somewhere without too challenging a walk in/out (I cant yet imagine taking him to my normal spots) possibly with hunting clearings or open tops as opposed to Bush stalking. Any suggestions folks?

Many thanks

If your usual spots produce deer I would stick to those. My two boys are 12 and 14, both quite capable of walking 5-6hrs with rests and snacks. Kids are more capable then you realise.
    Just start trolling the web, heaps of info once you decide how long you want to go for, if a hut is involved and what species are around. Most people over think trips with kids.
    trooper90 likes this.

As per above post, involve your boy in the process of planning and finding a place to go. He may like the look of somewhere just because it has an unusual name explain the country using maps contour lines etc.

he is just turning 6 so its still defenitely a limiting factor
    Arced likes this.

To be honest most 6 year olds would be able to out-walk me (quite easily at the moment), The biggest issue would be keeping them interested and quiet/focused. As 300wsm for life said, lots of snacks/breaks.

At the end of Renfrew road, kimbolton, there is a car park turn right at the start, left is a highway edition of a track to a hut that school kids day trip to, can’t rember the name Wa a toy but used to be a cross country ski club, but right is ‘old hunter’ track or similar name take that
    Bit of a climb then levels out after 15 odd minutes, prob 20/25 for a young fella
    You stay quite your likely to bump one on that track
    But if a trip for you thou, is south of Taihape
    Russian 22. likes this.
    Fear is not real. Fear is simply the product of thoughts that you create.
    Danger is very real, but fear is choice.

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    To be honest most 6 year olds would be able to out-walk me (quite easily at the moment), The biggest issue would be keeping them interested and quiet/focused. As 300wsm for life said, lots of snacks/breaks.
    And a trip to BK or some other big treat (my poor deprived kids, lol) as motivation on the way out works well. Then if you're unsuccessful it will still equate to something cool (apart from dad time of course!)

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by gerwyn.woods View Post
    At the end of Renfrew road, kimbolton, there is a car park turn right at the start, left is a highway edition of a track to a hut that school kids day trip to, can’t rember the name Wa a toy but used to be a cross country ski club, but right is ‘old hunter’ track or similar name take that
    Bit of a climb then levels out after 15 odd minutes, prob 20/25 for a young fella
    You stay quite your likely to bump one on that track
    But if a trip for you thou, is south of Taihape
    Deadmans is a 4 hour drive from Hamilton,and I wouldn't take a young fella up there for first outing unless wether was perfect, wind can be savage up there once out of the bush.

Rangiwahia Hut is definitely worth a nudge, I took my niece up there when she was 8, its an easy track that sees a lot of use and is well maintained.

you can see deer in the bush/creeks or on the slips before you get out of the tree line. If you take a tent you could stay at the hut the first night, camp out the second and return down deadmans loop or back down the same way.

If you're looking for ideas on places to take a kid, google search family friendly hikes and pick a forest park that suits the method of hunting you want to do.

I used this macpac summer hike one to find an easy walk for my niece: https://www.macpac.co.nz/explore/not...mer-hikes.html

There's some beautiful and easy public ground up here in central plateau, though getting cooler overnight now.

I 100% agree with post saying we tend to over think trips with kids, I always do with two but it definitely helps with generating a solid plan.

As long as you got a solid plan, know the ground you on and have the gear Youl be fine. Worst case like someone above posted bail out for BK and a hot pool on the way home!
    Last edited by JWFB; 02-04-2024 at 08:46 PM.

I’ve found with my boys; it’s the drive that troubles them. They hate hours in the car, but never moaned about walking all day, and they’re more patient than me when it comes to sitting and watching…

I’d go to Pureora, depends where you are in the Waikato, but chances are your within 1 & 1/2 hours drive.
    Just got to find an area with too much 1080. Ideally with some cut over pine blocks to look over and start “hunting”
    Bagheera likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauries Hut View Post
    I’ve found with my boys; it’s the drive that troubles them. They hate hours in the car, but never moaned about walking all day, and they’re more patient than me when it comes to sitting and watching…

I’d go to Pureora, depends where you are in the Waikato, but chances are your within 1 & 1/2 hours drive.
    Just got to find an area with too much 1080. Ideally with some cut over pine blocks to look over and start “hunting”
    Pureora doesn't have "cut-over" pine blocks, it's land owned by others.

I started my boy doing overnight trips off Clements road. Hard animals to hunt but you get plenty of encounters.

I take my kids (been taking them with me since they turned 2 we even done a Xmas in the bush with the kids ) where ever I'm going I tell them what the walk so they know when they where younger I would camp from the ute or the ATV in doc land but since they where 5 they walked into lots off huts make sure they have good gear the same as you yes they noise yes they they talk at the wrong time just as you see a deer in the bush but for me and my kids it's about been out there & seeing a deer is as good as getting one but since they where bot 8 IV been getting deer every time with them I haven't had a shot over 50m for years in doc land they soon pick up on when to be quiet and when they're allowed to talk and be noisy you do need to have some brakes with them where they can being noisy and get the concentration back again
    Arced likes this.

Perhaps I should have been clearer, I’m not advocating hunting privately own pine forests.
    Ngaroma for example, has pine plantations surrounded by doc native, where there are nice open areas on doc land you can get some elevation and watch.
    In the spring at least it can be an easy way to catch the deer coming out or going back to the native.
    It’s easy to find young pines where grass grows well. Walk the roads during the day and find where they’re crossing to feed.
    Stake it out in the mornings or evenings. Plenty of apps/maps which show the boundaries.