Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think needs to be done with the "Hunting & Wildlife" mag.

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it as is, I don't mind paying for the H&W mag.

14 25.45%
  • Ditch the mag & take the dollars off my subs.

13 23.64%
  • Ditch the mag & invest those funds into other NZDA thingy's.

28 50.91%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: A question for NZDA members

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    This is like blaming all Americans for the petulant child that is currently their president. A popularity contest in an old boys club will result in an old boy getting the reins - like it or not...
    But I do blame an aweful lot of Americans for Trump.
    Hillary won by a vast majority. NZDA elections don't have Electoral Colleges to worry about.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Hillary won by a vast majority. NZDA elections don't have Electoral Colleges to worry about.
    Agreed, and it easier to complain than to push for change. Given some of the attitudes in the old boys club, change will not happen: attitudes that differ from the status quo drift away from the piss drinking & shit talking/reminiscing of some clubs (not all!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    This is like blaming all Americans for the petulant child that is currently their president. A popularity contest in an old boys club will result in an old boy getting the reins - like it or not...
    maybe not, our treasurer has a cunning plan to modenise our club, with a bit of luck we will approve it at the next AGM

"Did Not Vote" won by a vast majority.
    44.7% did not vote.
    25.5% voted for Trump.
    26.7% voted for Clinton.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    "Did Not Vote" won by a vast majority.
    44.7% did not vote.
    25.5% voted for Trump.
    26.7% voted for Clinton.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Apathty wins by a landslide yet again. ☹️
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Obama won by the electoral college system too, first time I heard of it was when the man with an orange hairdo beat the other candidate (by the rules as they've been for a wee while).
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Obama won by the electoral college system too, first time I heard of it was when the man with an orange hairdo beat the other candidate (by the rules as they've been for a wee while).
    Aaah. Every President wins by Electoral College. Thats how it works over there.
    Anyway, miles off tangent now.

I'm only here to see Tommy vs. A 70 year old
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I'm only here to see Tommy vs. A 70 year old
    Or to see a 70 year old versus a keyboard
    Boaraxa likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

What the "Snowflakes " have to realize is that no Organization is going to be a 100% fit . So you're going to have to look the other way when " something " happens .
    And the only Organization that will be 100% agreeable to you ,has a membership of one . So either you swallow the occasional "Dead rat " or go about changing things ( bitching about things ,just does not do anything )
    And the final thing to consider is , what is / are the alternative(s) in Organizations .
    Woody likes this.

A Different Take ...

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. Saddening from NZDA's perspective to see some of the sentiments held, and expressed. Not surprising though. Here's my two cents worth.
    I trust we may agree it's an undeniable fact - NZDA as an organisation has done immeasurable good for the sport of recreational hunting in New Zealand - for 80-odd years. It's unlikely to be overtaken - as the only recreational hunting organisation with 50-odd Branches, and covering virtually the whole country.
    It's vitally important - even more so now than ever - that recreational hunting has an effective, national voice. There are some significant threats, both direct and indirect.
    NZDA is certainly not perfect - and a lot of the sentiment here has various degress of validity. Organisations like NZDA inevitably wax and wane over the years, as the dynamic environment in which they operate also changes. Leadership, too, goes through periods of being strong - and not so strong. As does the Membership.
    Right now, there's quite a bit of positive, constructive effort going on "behind the scenes" - to try and encourage NZDA to drag itself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Our young Members should not inherit an outfit that's stuck in the past, or lost it's way - in today's fast-changing and technological world.
    We must be realistic about what we expect of it, though. It's run entirely by volunteers. Some people put an unreasonable amount of time and effort into it. As with any such outfit - some of these efforts are inevitably misguided. But that doesn't make them not well-intentioned. Branches are a reflection of their combined membership. If we don't like the way our Branch operates - we always have the option of stepping up, and doing something about it. I have a rule I strive to stick to - I don't indulge in criticism - unless I'm prepared to do something constructive, too.
    Personally, I don't look at my Subscription as just something I should necessarily get value-for-money for. It's also a contribution towards the maintenance and upkeep of the recreational activity we inherited, and we love - and we all want to continue to be available, for our children and grandchildren to enjoy. I put several times my Sub into my freezer each year, all free-range organic meat. I don't care if I get nothing back - this alone (making a contribution) is worth it, for me. It's bugger all really, maybe just one tank of diesel. Maybe it's worth it for you, too?
    For this reason - if you think of yourself as a Recreational Hunter - I urge you to remain an NZDA Member, or join. A key part of being able to represent and advocate for recreational hunting - is to have a strong Membership of recreational hunters. It's all about having the numbers.
    As for Hunting & Wildlife - I believe it's been an institution within NZDA and beyond, since 1962 - the "glue" that has kept NZDA together - surviving through good times, and bad. Personally, I want to keep getting mine in hardcopy form - but it makes sense that Member's have the option to save the organisation some money, and opt-out - either to receive in electronic format only, or not at all. There are some good ideas floating about.
    Happy Hunting.

Very well put message there, a lot of those reasons is why I am a member
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

kw
    If the magazine and the retirement home type committee members are the problem, maybe the persons concerned,young or old need to take charge and use their free time to be the driving force of the operation. Maybe this thread has out used it use by date as the original thread was the magazine. In my opinion ditch the hard cover and move to the modern age. K

Quote Originally Posted by stewart.h View Post
    Everybody's entitled to their opinion. Saddening from NZDA's perspective to see some of the sentiments held, and expressed. Not surprising though. Here's my two cents worth.
    I trust we may agree it's an undeniable fact - NZDA as an organisation has done immeasurable good for the sport of recreational hunting in New Zealand - for 80-odd years. It's unlikely to be overtaken - as the only recreational hunting organisation with 50-odd Branches, and covering virtually the whole country.
    It's vitally important - even more so now than ever - that recreational hunting has an effective, national voice. There are some significant threats, both direct and indirect.
    NZDA is certainly not perfect - and a lot of the sentiment here has various degress of validity. Organisations like NZDA inevitably wax and wane over the years, as the dynamic environment in which they operate also changes. Leadership, too, goes through periods of being strong - and not so strong. As does the Membership.
    Right now, there's quite a bit of positive, constructive effort going on "behind the scenes" - to try and encourage NZDA to drag itself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Our young Members should not inherit an outfit that's stuck in the past, or lost it's way - in today's fast-changing and technological world.
    We must be realistic about what we expect of it, though. It's run entirely by volunteers. Some people put an unreasonable amount of time and effort into it. As with any such outfit - some of these efforts are inevitably misguided. But that doesn't make them not well-intentioned. Branches are a reflection of their combined membership. If we don't like the way our Branch operates - we always have the option of stepping up, and doing something about it. I have a rule I strive to stick to - I don't indulge in criticism - unless I'm prepared to do something constructive, too.
    Personally, I don't look at my Subscription as just something I should necessarily get value-for-money for. It's also a contribution towards the maintenance and upkeep of the recreational activity we inherited, and we love - and we all want to continue to be available, for our children and grandchildren to enjoy. I put several times my Sub into my freezer each year, all free-range organic meat. I don't care if I get nothing back - this alone (making a contribution) is worth it, for me. It's bugger all really, maybe just one tank of diesel. Maybe it's worth it for you, too?
    For this reason - if you think of yourself as a Recreational Hunter - I urge you to remain an NZDA Member, or join. A key part of being able to represent and advocate for recreational hunting - is to have a strong Membership of recreational hunters. It's all about having the numbers.
    As for Hunting & Wildlife - I believe it's been an institution within NZDA and beyond, since 1962 - the "glue" that has kept NZDA together - surviving through good times, and bad. Personally, I want to keep getting mine in hardcopy form - but it makes sense that Member's have the option to save the organisation some money, and opt-out - either to receive in electronic format only, or not at all. There are some good ideas floating about.
    Happy Hunting.
    Best first post I've seen in a long time (if not ever).
    Gibo, LOC and Blisters like this.

A different take ...

Quote Originally Posted by stickle7 View Post
    If the magazine and the retirement home type committee members are the problem, maybe the persons concerned,young or old need to take charge and use their free time to be the driving force of the operation. Maybe this thread has out used it use by date as the original thread was the magazine. In my opinion ditch the hard cover and move to the modern age. K
    (1) Why put it back on them all the time? .. your arms and legs painted on? (2) Don't we think there's a good reason why all of the successful magazines stay in hardcopy? Why do we think that is? As NZ Jetboating Committee Members have said "our magazine is part of our heritage .. we wouldn't touch it (in terms of canning it, or going digital) without a referendum of all members". Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Let the Membership collectively decide. SMH.