Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Skunked AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    nice fat little eating pig ya cant complain about that --delicious
    she would go very close to 100lb believe it or not...as as boy Tasman would say "she is PHAAAT" LOL
    Billbob likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Awesome you'll get a good few feeds off that
    Micky Duck likes this.

Fantatic MD. A just reward for your persistence. Well done.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Now that's more like it.twofifty yards,single round fired same result as yesterday but a hell of a lot harder carry. This isn't method I've used often but ok. Boned out with meat left on skin,two fifteen liter buckets of meat now chilling in fridge. Young stag with a smashed femur some time back meaning one huge ham and one not so good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brian, Maxx, Chur Bay and 7 others like this.

Looks like you're back on track MD. Nice job.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Well done MD you deserve a change of luck
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Now that's more like it.twofifty yards,single round fired same result as yesterday but a hell of a lot harder carry. This isn't method I've used often but ok. Boned out with meat left on skin,two fifteen liter buckets of meat now chilling in fridge. Young stag with a smashed femur some time back meaning one huge ham and one not so good.
    Good stuff Micky.

Never seen that method before you are right. What are the advantages?

meat stays clean...no bones to be carried...MUCH easier to get back on feet as its draped over shoulders,just grab one end over shoulder and roll sideways as you stand up,too easy to readjust once up on feet...no bones to dig into you...no shoulders being pinched and no tightness round the chest...BUT you do need to be careful when you put it down as it can roll anyway it pleases,I just picked clean bits of grass and flopped down,shrugged out a bit to regain breath then up and away again...thinking about it afterwards,when I do it again will skin flank meat back on one side and remove most of one sides skin....less bulk across shoulders /neck ...oh and its a good way to get a complete skin out too.... without my pack or carry strap there was no way I was going to be able to carry this fella..needed to gut him to shift him 2 yards to semi flat spot. works great with fallow or yearlings too.
    Billbob likes this.

Your on a roll, Chamois or Tahr tomorrow?
    308 likes this.

What does a deer skin weigh? I'm not sure if i could carry the meat and the skin

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoHntr View Post
    That's excellent. You could probably go for days without seeing someone. There are a few places like that in CA, but I find most, not all hunters here are lazy. Electric bike sales are through the roof, as ppl want to use as little effort getting to their hunting zone. I don't disagree with using a bike to get to a trailhead, but many use them to get right to the spot, if possible. I'm fine with that, as I'm willing to go farther in, giving me a better chance.

No bears? That's good, and bad, as you're unable to hunt them. I was doing an archery elk hunt in Montana a few years ago, and guide got killed by a grizzly about 5 miles away.
    The hunter shot an elk halfway up a ridge, on a small bench. The guide took off his pack, and shirt, cuz it was a hot day. The guide proceeded to process the elk, and made it part way when a mama grizzly and her cub came flying down the hill after getting a whiff of the kill site. The guide had taken his pack off, and left it about 20ft away. The mama started mauling the guide, and the hunter went for the guides gun off his pack. The hunter had never used a handgun (other than a revolver) and fumbled with it until he accidentally ejected the mag out of the Glock. The mama went after the hunter, mauled him a little, then went back to the elk. The hunter was able to crawl away, and made a cell call. The hunter died shortly after.

I had a brown bear tag when I was doing the archery elk, and brought my 45/70 Marlin for the job, but never saw one. I saw a grizz about 100 yards away, and it was freaking huge. I never want to run into one. I keep a 10mm on my chest AND bear spray just in case. It would be nice to be able to hunt without that crap on my chest.

So the only predator you have is the gray wolf? Do they impact solo hunting at all?
    How 'bout snakes? You have to have snakes...
    A few of us have been mauled by cougars after a night clubbing in the past

good day out on the hill today....couldnt resist snotting 4 wallabies,2 at over 200 yards and 2 under 50 yards,5 shots fired.
    saw VERY quick couple of fallow at about 60 yards,another half a second and would have fired ,but as was carting .223 around for the day,wanted to make sure of shot.got another quick broadside glimpse but not enough for safe sure shot...scooted past where thought they might be and left it alone for hour then slowly stalked back through but not joy.....when up in very deer like area a wallaby sat and watched me walk past all of 10 yards away...note to self,make some subbies for the .223 pronto.
    Trout, 308, RUMPY and 4 others like this.