Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By The Claw
  • 1 Post By bang

Thread: Tahr Hunting Ballots 2020, Where we going to be at??

Tahr Hunting Ballots 2020, Where we going to be at??

Ladies and Gents

With public land hunting on the horizon my attention is drawn to the Ballot we drew for the Landsborough - Adams Wilderness area.
    I also acknowledge the many others that do also as well as Aussies that can no longer get here.
    Whats going to become of this years Ballots. So far silence from DoC. Guys at Fox Franz havent been able to get any info either, so same boat for them.

Do they only run the Ballots Period 4-8?

Do they run all 8 periods starting from where period 4 would have started (16th May) and carry them on from there. That would mean that period 8 would start on 11th July.
    Would the Rut be well over by then? I know it would be pretty harsh weather wise mid July in the Landsborough.

What happens to the first four, or possibly five, periods ballot holders? Transfer to next year? Or cancelled with refund of Ballot fee?

Ive already missed out on Haast roar Block Ballot, 1st period. We were almost going to board the ferry before we pulled pin. As it turns out we would've only had 2 days there if we did go.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Id like to know. Has it affected you?

Cheers

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I had Mahitahi River 1st period and a mate had it 2nd period. I'd have the selection rolled over to next year if I had the option. My brother has Shelter Hollow 4th period, don't see him getting in for it either and I definitely won't be able to join him if we get back to level 2 next week.

There's been talk of a summer ballot in the past, it would be good to see that happen this year.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Yeah a Summer Ballot was touted when the Tahr Plan hit the fan. One of the ideas put forward to DoC from Tahr foundation and GAC?
    It would have been great to get access to that part of the country in summer. Tahr Deer and Chamios faarkin fantastic. Be warm too
    I think the commercial heli operators may have put the Ky-bosh on that.

I geuss thats another point, those that have ballots 4 - 8 and cant fill them, are they put up for grabs??

R93
    Easiest way is for doc to allow ballot to carry on where it can start off and wave the fee for successful ballot holders that missed out this year for next. Be a stupid mess to roll it over.
    There were at least 20 odd parties I know of from overseas that will be missing out on their blocks this year. Doc should allow them blocks that will be empty to first come first serve to show up in Franz.
    Like they did the old Haast ballot.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Shearer likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I theory you let DoC know that you aren't going to be using the permit and it should then be made available on their website. Should be a good number available from Aussies who can't get over for the ballot now?

Shearer likes this.

Doc refunded me my haast ballot fee so they should do the same for the Tahr ballots that can’t be used.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Tahr foundation and GAC have both posted that the tahr rut is all go however starting from period 4 to eight.
    We have 8, never been that late before. I guess it will be as cold as it always is. Wonder if James will fly ballot holders in the squirrels since they're all parked up.
    Who else is going?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

From the Doc site
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...9-and-hunting/

Deer roar ballots
    Some hunting blocks assigned to hunters as part of the 2020 deer roar ballots did not go ahead during Alert Levels 3 and 4. Ballot holders can choose to have their allocated block transferred to the same period next year. Where ballot holders did have the opportunity to take up their blocks, these will be either re-drawn in a limited ballot, or made available to book for 2021. We will contact ballot holders whose hunting trips were partially affected by COVID-19 in due course.

DOC staff are focused on ensuring any hunting ballots or bookings planned for the next few months go ahead. Once this process is complete we will contact affected ballot holders regarding next year’s ballots and hunting blocks.

The following roar ballots were affected by COVID-19. If hunters were unable to hunt on the hunting block, their ballot will be rolled over to 2021.

Northern South Island
    Molesworth roar ballot
    West Coast
    Haast roar ballot
    Southern South Island
    Wanaka roar ballot
    Greenstone/Caples roar ballot
    Coastal Otago ballots: Waianakarua, Glencoe, Mill Creek, Waipori Falls
    Murihiku ballots: Waikaia, Leithen Bush, MacLennan, Tautuku, Blue Mountains
    Rakiura/Stewart Island booking system

There's been an email sent out today to permit holders. I had a first period block and had the choice to either get a refund or roll the block over to next year. Period 4 starts this Saturday. If a permit holder for period 4 to 8 cannot go then they have 7 days to inform DoC and can roll over to next year as well.

we're going. barlow river period 6th period. amped. if anyone has any info on the block, a pm would be much appreciated.
    Reindeer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bang View Post
    we're going. barlow river period 6th period. amped. if anyone has any info on the block, a pm would be much appreciated.
    Been there, it's a good block. Kea at the campsite was a problem (not sure if this is still the case?). We took everything in plastic bins with lids and took down tents etc each morning if no one was going to be around camp. Was a bit of a pain but better than arriving back to everything destroyed, which I've seen photos of... Weather was awesome when we were there so wasn't a major to quickly put up tents at night.

I got invited into Lambert River for next year, 6th June.

Anyone been on this block? We had Upper Zora last year

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post

I was there in 2017. @Ryan_Songhurst has been there a couple of times? too I think.
    Last edited by Shearer; 15-10-2020 at 04:31 PM.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post

Will PM this evening
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

So have ballots been rolled over until next year ?do they re draw the blocks no longer wanted