Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: wanting to go Wallaby hunt Rotorua area

wanting to go Wallaby hunt Rotorua area

Hi i live in hamilton area and wanting to go for a wallaby shoot but have never hunted Rotorua area and have no idea where to start.
    any help would be appreciated with pointing me in right direction or if someone has a farm or land that I could come over for a day hunt on that would be even better .

DOC have a map of hunting areas including which species are present here:
    Calvnz1 likes this.

Are Wallabies up there now?.

Check with DOC re access as they close most areas during tourist season - about Feb sometime from memory. Having lived at Hamurana for several years I sought to hook up with cullers - no luck due to H & S regs. One private farm almost opposite airport offers accommodation in a hut up the back of his block, but charges approx $90 p.n. Per shooter.
    I suggest parking at end of Lake Ōkareka road and walking the shared Mountainbike track to Okataina. Cut into the bush on left hand side and parallel the fence line of the fence line bordering farmland, heading towards tallest point. I’ve shot them in there. Best at first and last light, but no spotlighting allowed. There are a few deer and pigs present too.
    If you have a boat, try hot water beach area across Lake Tarawera, but check legality as very popular with campers. Another spot is anywhere off the road to Lake Ōkataina from Rotorua-Whakatane road.
    The critters are basically oversized possums and not like the larger South Island Bennetts variety. Tails and back legs can be casseroled.
    You’ve gotta use a Centrefire unless special permission to use rimfire is granted; highly unlikely. .223 makes their eyes water.
    Warning: if you do walk the track from end of Okareka towards Okataina road, don’t hunt the farm edge on the right hand (Eastern) side as Paddy, the owner of that farm has a peculiar way of dealing with encroachers. The only warning you’ll get is a funny eye roll before he reacts adversely.
    Steve123, XR500 and Calvnz1 like this.

Give the bio-security team a call at the regional council (Rotorua), they maybe able to point you in the right direction. Approaching landowners is an also option, if you reinforce that you will close all gates remove all carcasses etc, because they don't want stoats, pigs or cats hanging around their property either. Try asking the local deer stalkers branch as well.

Land access is one of the biggest issues for Wallaby control in the BOP.
    Steve123, XR500 and Calvnz1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodiffs View Post
    Are Wallabies up there now?.
    Their always has being but the seem to be doing their thing and multiplying of late
    Calvnz1 and Twodiffs like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    My parents live there and their dog will typically catch and kill a wallaby most days they walk in the Whaka forests. It's a bit of a machine but it outlines how many there are there now
    I'm also fairy certain the wallaby in Rotorua is a much smaller one than what you get down south.
    Calvnz1 and Twodiffs like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Talk to a guy Wilkie at DOC Rotorua. He is very helpful.
    Maca49 and Calvnz1 like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

MB
    I can add nothing to the good advice given above. I've seen wallabies every time I've been in the bush around Rotorua.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Check with DOC re access as they close most areas during tourist season - about Feb sometime from memory. Having lived at Hamurana for several years I sought to hook up with cullers - no luck due to H & S regs. One private farm almost opposite airport offers accommodation in a hut up the back of his block, but charges approx $90 p.n. Per shooter.
    I suggest parking at end of Lake Ōkareka road and walking the shared Mountainbike track to Okataina. Cut into the bush on left hand side and parallel the fence line of the fence line bordering farmland, heading towards tallest point. I’ve shot them in there. Best at first and last light, but no spotlighting allowed. There are a few deer and pigs present too.
    If you have a boat, try hot water beach area across Lake Tarawera, but check legality as very popular with campers. Another spot is anywhere off the road to Lake Ōkataina from Rotorua-Whakatane road.
    The critters are basically oversized possums and not like the larger South Island Bennetts variety. Tails and back legs can be casseroled.
    You’ve gotta use a Centrefire unless special permission to use rimfire is granted; highly unlikely. .223 makes their eyes water.
    Warning: if you do walk the track from end of Okareka towards Okataina road, don’t hunt the farm edge on the right hand (Eastern) side as Paddy, the owner of that farm has a peculiar way of dealing with encroachers. The only warning you’ll get is a funny eye roll before he reacts adversely.
    Is that the farm between the Millars Rd end of the track and the lake?
    As others have said best way to get a wallaby is to take your dogs for a walk in Whakarewarewa forest around change of light.
    Mine have got plenty and getting private access is next to impossible.
    Calvnz1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Is that the farm between the Millars Rd end of the track and the lake?
    As others have said best way to get a wallaby is to take your dogs for a walk in Whakarewarewa forest around change of light.
    Mine have got plenty and getting private access is next to impossible.
    Yes.
    Steve123 likes this.

i went down a couple of years back. place we stayed was a couple acres between one of the lakes and a gravel road. probably got 6 just on dusk.
    but without private land access it's a pain.
    they go on about how bad they are but it's hard to get access.
    Z
    Calvnz1 likes this.

MB
    Agree, he'll probably get one or two in the bush, but for big numbers, you need access to private land.
    Calvnz1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I can add nothing to the good advice given above. I've seen wallabies every time I've been in the bush around Rotorua.

That looks like a very handy little rifle.
    MB and yeah_na_missed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    i went down a couple of years back. place we stayed was a couple acres between one of the lakes and a gravel road. probably got 6 just on dusk.
    but without private land access it's a pain.
    they go on about how bad they are but it's hard to get access.
    Z
    A lot of the land around the lakes is Iwi or Hapu trust owned with multiple beneficiaries. Who ever manages it would have a devil of a time getting answers so probably easier to say no.
    Calvnz1 likes this.