Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 22 lr vs 22 mag vs 17HMR

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    From what I have read the bolt itself from a 22mag or 17 HMR isn't strong enough. Stunning performance, very noisy so needs a can but yeah some ammo is only $5 more than 17HMR or 22 mag and t's nearly on par with a 222.
    Pretty amazing. From what i can see the lack of rifles ( makes ) is the biggest problem.
    At $40 - $45 for 50 rounds why sit in front of a press for hours farting around.
    Yep the reloading would be a pisser with the number required if you were to use a centre fire . The savage are available here, never seen a ruger but didn't look because of the price. Be a good choice for down central I reckon. Ammo is advertised pretty cheap on tm from gun works. I've only used Winchester to date but I saw hornady and American eagle are meant to be here now too so I'm going to see if there's much difference between them. 8 inch twist in the newer barrels is apparently better for the heavier projectiles.

Been doing some research Plinky, mate those B mags have some shocking reviews , the round looks amazing but the rifle manufacturers don't seem to be bringing out rifles for the round. 17 HMR was easy. If you produce a 2 mag then it's just a simple re-tooling job to take advantage of a very successful calibre, however it the old bolt isn't up to it then a whole new approach and action is a major investment.. it could on paper be the best rimfire varmint round ever made but it could disappear unless rifle producers get behind it. CZ in 17wsm... gotta be good...

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Been doing some research Plinky, mate those B mags have some shocking reviews , the round looks amazing but the rifle manufacturers don't seem to be bringing out rifles for the round. 17 HMR was easy. If you produce a 2 mag then it's just a simple re-tooling job to take advantage of a very successful calibre, however it the old bolt isn't up to it then a whole new approach and action is a major investment.. it could on paper be the best rimfire varmint round ever made but it could disappear unless rifle producers get behind it. CZ in 17wsm... gotta be good...
    Yep the std barrel version in particular are very variable, the one I got is ok but would probably benefit from the stock bring stiffened or upgraded to a Boyds. I was hoping to shoot the new heavy barrel one today but plans fell over. Same crappy stock but don't believe it will matter. Have a boyds stock on the way, it'll be nice then ����. Agree a cz or any other decent brand should be great once available. I'll pm you once I've had a go with the new one and give you a verdict on the heavier barrel and faster twist.

Off with another date with my 17hmr
    StrikerNZ and Shearer like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Off with another date with my 17hmr
    Had one of them last night, damn I love my cz455
    Maca49 likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Reason to stick to 223:

1. more versatile,
    2, while 223 is more expensive per shot, it is a lot of money to buy a good 17hmr + good scope + cleaning gear.

If you already have an accurate and high quality 223, dont buy a 17hmr.

Reason for 17HMR:

1, the 60cents rounds are of the same quality as the 2 dollar 223 factory rounds.
    2, reloading 223 makes it cheaper, but it costs time. how much do you make a hour? how many rounds can you buy with 1 hour wage?
    3, 17HMR is quieter, and less harsh on the silencer.

Now for 22M, tests show that wind drafts it more than 17hmr. while it is more powerful, I cannot think of an animal that you would not shoot with 17hmr but you would with 22m at 100+ range. So as far as I am concerned, 17hmr has overtaken this round.
    gadgetman likes this.

IMO have all of them in the safe and use them as you see fit!
    Personally I've always had the .22lr and .223Rem combo with various makes and models.
    I reload, so the .223 ammo is dirt cheap.
    Currently have a CMMG .22lr AR15 build, Sako 75 .223 and a couple of AR15s in .223/5.56.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Reason for 17HMR:

1, the 60cents rounds are of the same quality as the 2 dollar 223 factory rounds.
    I've had good accuracy from ~ $1/round 223 ammo as well, the price difference doesn't have to be that much.

I am really starting to study where and how I shoot. I can always find somewhere to take a longer shot and I can always get closer if needed. The .22 LR still covers 80% of my shooting. I am now really taking note of the rest. I think I will start carrying my range finder to find the true distance of most of my long shots across gully's and up big hill sides. A true average may help with a future decision.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I've had good accuracy from ~ $1/round 223 ammo as well, the price difference doesn't have to be that much.
    +1

When I used the steel cased Hornady Training Ammo at $34/50 it was pretty cheap and accurate shooting.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

You like my wife trying to buy shoes, takes forever , then she makes the wrong decision! Get a 17 HMR and then for more range a 223! There done it for you, the WSM an orphan, the 17 hornet you have to reload, its expensive, all the rest you have to reload. I banged of 25 rounds pissing about on Sat $15.00 17 HMR. Check ballistic charts, they'll make up your mind.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

LOL, hey isn't that half the fun Maca. Thanks for comparing me to your lovely wife, I hope for your sake she's better looking than me
    Shearer likes this.