Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 22 RF Tuner strategies?

22 RF Tuner strategies?

Giidday Guys

After exploring a lot of other parts of "the 22 RF Warren" I finally arrived at a door labeled "Tuners - yet another route to madness" so I've ripped it open and walked right in. Being a cheap sorta bastard I've declined to go with the big name versions like the Harrels or Eric Cortina . . . The one that arrived here is made by FX for airguns and set me back $189 to my door (from the UK, I find their prices and esp postage are reasonable, got here in less than two weeks).

Apart from cheap the FX comes with a neat trick, it's threaded 1/2x20 but has a series of adapters that go on the front that take a suppressor of either 1/2x20, 1/2x28 etc.

Name:  16932130750142107909878972240882.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  1.60 MB

It's gonna need a bit of fine tuning, the thread for receiving the muzzle thread isn't deep enough. However easily fixed. Also needs an index mark.

So now the questions start . . . .

Do I start with it on my most accurate 22, or pick something that is showing potential but needs improvement?

Does anyone have a preferred adjustment protocol that suits our limited ammo availability?
    akaroa1 and Moa Hunter like this.

I bought a Lowey tuner for my LA101 earlier this year. Due to an annoying health issue I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Hopefully will get to the range later this year.
    Mine was NZ$212.

So, I've still to learn how to tune tuners.

Watched Jason on Pursuit Of Accuracy and he had fitted one (EC) to the POS Springfield 2020. His adjustments were large until he appeared to start to get an improvement but alas, didn't end well. Where he started from I don't know.

I would not be trying to tune ammo that is known to perform poorly. I think that is a waste of time. I would try with quality ammo that maybe is not performing as well as hoped in a good rifle. I know from my limited knowledge of CF tuners they are used to improve good loads. The old you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear applies I think.
    At any rate look fwd to OP posting his results.
    https://youtu.be/ROxIqBiBQgM?si=i3kuPLA7cGrNQRsq
    https://youtu.be/3i1U7i4R_dg?si=B9lKqb0leYZ0A5-8
    Name:  20230829_092926.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  4.98 MB
    HJA8 likes this.

Hmmm , very useful answer "try quality ammo in a good rifle that isnt going as well as expected " I like that! I'll dig out some older batches of Eley Match and Fiocchi F320

So in a nutshell how does the tuner work? Yeah I know I could Google it but being a lazy bastard...
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Its a weight on a fine thread, wind it in or out to alter your barrel harmonic.
    Jhon likes this.

Yeah, they won't fix fooked.

But, if you have a brand of ammo that is producing nice circular reliable groups that are bigger than you'd think it should - that's a good candidate for tuning. Double grouping or stringing isn't, that's another issue.

Record everything, so you know what each change does - don't fly by the seat of your pants and document it well in terms of measurements or the like so you can reproduce it if you have to change it. That and isolate everything else so it's only the tuning changes that have an effect so as much as you can shoot without any external or environmental effects twitching you.

Ah good. Someone with actual experience. What rifle are you using your tuner on and what brand of tuner?

And it just occured to me that it'd be a waste of time and money to tune to an ammo that you dont have a decent amount of on hand after the tuning process.
    HJA8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    And it just occured to me that it'd be a waste of time and money to tune to an ammo that you dont have a decent amount of on hand after the tuning process.
    Jason in his vid chewed thru I think 100 rounds of Eley Match for no improvement on the Springfield. But that was a lost cause. Hopefully, with a good performing rifle there can be improvements.
    Also we are just learning so there has to be some wasteage.

I have my Walther, Anschutz 54 and the LA0101 that I use for 100yd group shooting but only the Lithgow is threaded.

I'm looking fwd to trying mine but have read several forum postings where the owners have removed their tuners in frustration. Other shooters (experienced) who won't even entertain tuners.

I got no starting point instructions for mine so it's a suck it and see initially. Whilst I've got a good stock of ammo I'm reluctant to burn thru too much without tangible results.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Or at least a decent amount of individual lots of the same ammo. Changing lots, the bane of rimfire, would possible see better or poorer results from the previous lot. Still, that's what we hope the tuner will assist with.
    I tried RWS R50 in my rifles and it was poor. All gone now and I'll never buy any more, but maybe that would have responded to a tuner.

I put one on 22 CZ for a guy a couple of weeks back and he seems pleased with the results, closing group size by 20% or so.
    zimmer and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Ah good. Someone with actual experience. What rifle are you using your tuner on and what brand of tuner?
    I'm not now, but was when I was doing rimfire target. To be fair, there are several methods for 'tuning' or twitching the resonance of the barrel - the muzzle device is but one. Others include weights that strap or clamp to the barrel and can be slid back and forwards, or different amounts of padding in between the barrel and front of the forestock (pressure point dampening).

All basically seek to achieve the same thing, forcibly adjust the barrel harmonics to get the bullet leaving the muzzle at the same point in the wave cycle each time. Where it gets funky, is the tuning is really only one part of the problem - if your ammo isn't identical and the rifle is sensitive to humidity temperature or some other factor that you haven't worked out like time of the month or the flavour the colour blue sounds like, stand by to go insane.

In other words, you can only reliably tune using a weight or device if everything else is the same every time and not affected by something else external to the rifle...

Oh OK I thought you were a knowledgable current user.

I'm aware of all above. And yes I log all atmospherics when shooting 100yd groups and yes I'm aware the tune can change session to session.

My KK Match Walther is equiped to do above but weights or straps are a pain in the arse and not suited to the likes of the LA101 which can be used for hunting as well.

My first candidate will be SK Rifle Match and SK Pistol Match which I stocked up when last available but did not perform as well as SK Std.

Yeah, the Lapua and Eley offerings I was using don't seem to be available now or have changed from what was the norm so aren't a worthwhile starting place (only have a few packets of each left for testing basically). If you wanted to be brutal the other tuning method I didn't mention was chopping sections off the barrel haha.

I agree with the barrel weights, pain in the bum - a bit of a bump and you're back all over the place. The muzzle weight is the least fluffing about and of the easily adjustable methods the most resistant to a whoops but also offers the least adjustment. What the guy had in that link up there was pretty much the process we were using more or less, start at one end shoot a group and record then a coarse adjustment and another group. Basically hunting for the suitable 'nodes' in the barrel harmonics. Once a node is showing itself as promising (there should be a few), fine adjustments as per. One thing that might be a factor with target rifles with really solid chunks of metal for barrels is the barrel weight might not have enough adjustment to find a suitable node given that a series of adjustment with a barrel weight might end up an inch or two forward or back. I doubt that it would be an issue on the Lithgow though, slimmer tube.

My go to option now for a hunting style rifle is some form of a pressure pad like cork shim wrapped with tape, with tape layers that I can peel off or add to and set up to slip between the foreend and barrel with a tag that I can haul it out with. Works on centerfire too...
    Moa Hunter likes this.