Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 6.5 or 7mm08

6.5 or 7mm08

So I feel like I'm in bed of a bit of retail therapy and like the look of the howa superlite seeing as I don't think I'll see a kimber for a while.
    Just tossing up between 708 and Creedmoor. I know I know the latte cartridges but for me they would suit well for a medium range lightweight gun without to much recoil. Really just tossing up whether I change to 6.5 as I already have a 708 and all the components. Also wondering if I did go 6.5 whether to go large or small rifle primer. Is there much difference.
    All input appreciated.

Both excellent so personal choice the creed is accurate and easy to load for and theirs a good amount of components around at the minuet for either choice the creed would be easier to shoot on the lighter platform depending on what you feed your 708

Go for 7mm if your already set up for it. I have 5x 6.5s...

Greetings,
    What is the barrel twist in the 7mm-08? The 6.5 will be 1 in 8". What projectiles do you want to use? You probably want to think about what you want to do with the rifle that you can't do with your current rifle assuming you are going to keep it. Questions only you can answer.
    GPM.
    PS I would likely go with the 6.5 and the 20 inch barrel but I am an old fossil.
    Last edited by grandpamac; 27-12-2023 at 12:47 PM.
    blip likes this.

7mm08, or if you want to be really smart- get a 308. Components a bit easier to find in 30 than the others.

Or go 243.

Has anyone noticed the trend towards 6mm/243 this year?= pill availability.
    Barry the hunter and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    What is the barrel twist in the 7mm-08? The 6.5 will be 1 in 8". What projectiles do you want to use? You probably want to think about what you want to do with the rifle that you can't do with your current rifle assuming you are going to keep it. Questions only you can answer.
    GPM.
    PS I would likely go with the 6.5 and the 20 inch barrel but I am an old fossil.
    Will be an all round to medium range rig.
    Not sure of the twist in the 708 and the 16" does out me off a bit. 20“ would be better. Will be selling the old rifle

Gun Rack advertising a new 6.5 Creedmoor Howa Lightweight for under $900 if that is a option.

if what I have been reading is even remotely correct we may well be looking at ammo shortages again - so 7mm-08 would need a hard think can I get rounds in a years time - 6.5 Creedmore fast falling out of favour again ammo ?? - I would be looking at .270 and .308 being realistic - but then [I] approach buying firearms quite differently . I look at the quality of the rifle first - caliber second and so many are suitable really for certainly most hunting I do .270 25-06 7x57 6.5 308 even 30-06 all good - GC have some older Sako Finnbears going very reasonable prices and in .270 - barrel back to 20 in and a suppressor and a good quality synthetic stock - cant go wrong

Barry, you lost me when you stated GC had Sako's reasonable priced, never seen it.
    chainsaw, Bert 71 and Longrun like this.

Either are a good choice I have a Creedmoor and have had a few 7-08 and .260 I would be happy with either of them
    If you have all the dies and loading components for 7-08 it would be easier and cheaper to stay with that if not I would go for the Creedmoor.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Barry, you lost me when you stated GC had Sako's reasonable priced, never seen it.
    270 AV Hunter Sako .270 $2199 - 270 Sako Finnbear $1999- 270 Sako Finnbear $1899 --270 L61R sako $1899 for that quality those are not silly prices

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    270 AV Hunter Sako .270 $2199 - 270 Sako Finnbear $1999- 270 Sako Finnbear $1899 --270 L61R sako $1899 for that quality those are not silly prices
    Brought a Sako Finnbear 7mm Rem mag on here for $900 including suppressor, that was before the industry down turn, try getting much more than $1200 on T/M for a Sako Finnbear. Last few I've seen haven't sold, GC's prices are for the "un-educated"
    Nathan F, Longrun and STC like this.

If you’re already set up for 7-08, have components for reloading then I’d stick it. Don’t be put off by a 16in bbl on 708, will still get you to 400-500 yds with a decent high BC pill.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    7mm08, or if you want to be really smart- get a 308. Components a bit easier to find in 30 than the others.

Or go 243.

Has anyone noticed the trend towards 6mm/243 this year?= pill availability.
    Name:  20231029_064720.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  4.54 MB

Yep.. love my 6mm creedmoor.

Of those you mentioned I'll go with the 20in 6.5 creed. Just cos the lenght.
    tetawa, Bill999 and shananah like this.

If you've got the components stick to 7mm08
    Ironically you're old one that I love owning will never leave my safe. It's my go to rifle. With 7mm projectiles finally becoming more regular it's a great selling point too.

Unless you've got a real desire to scratch the 6.5 Creed itch and you're not ultra recoil sensitive I don't see why you wouldn't stick to what ya know with the Chai 08. Again I don't hate Creedmoor and alot of guys use it. I've just had great success with my 7mm08 and why change what ain't broke aye?.
    NO4 likes this.