Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 7mm-08 benefits

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    Whack a supressor on it and it saps most of the recoil out. They're good for that.
    I tried a suppressor on my 243 Scout & it was a disaster & went back

They have a very fine fluted barrel & it didn't like the weight of the suppressor on it.

All this was years ago, now I have even lighter Kimbers with supppressors very hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    What's that, a Marlin XS7? That's a good price. I used to have one (sold it to my brother) but mine was blued. It cost me around $900~ from memory so you got a really good deal.

Excellent gun for the money and the accutrigger clone makes them great to shoot off a bench too.
    Yup it is the Marlin XS7 with the stainless synthetic being a new release four H&F stores have been selected to give introductory prices on them at catalogue price of the blued synthetic model. I have had an XL7 in 25-06 bloody nice to shoot but the 22" barrel crippled the 25-06 caliber performance wise that cost me $999 back then. so yep I got a bloody good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Yup it is the Marlin XS7 with the stainless synthetic being a new release four H&F stores have been selected to give introductory prices on them at catalogue price of the blued synthetic model. I have had an XL7 in 25-06 bloody nice to shoot but the 22" barrel crippled the 25-06 caliber performance wise that cost me $999 back then. so yep I got a bloody good deal.
    Sounds like a good deal hunter. Dont get to caught up in cal almost anything 6mm and up is a good alround NZ cal.
    I think recoil is 90% in the head. Ie noise I literally cant tell the differnce in felt recoil from my 308 loaded hard with 168gr and the old mans 3006 my mates 7mmmag tikka(soppost to kick like a horse in a tikka) and another mates 700 in 7-08

Wear ear plugs (or muffs if you like sweat) any time you shoot at the range etc when you go hunting you wont even feel or hear it. Stag shot this morning barely even felt it go off
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

A real pity that most manufacturer's these days make the likes of the 25-06,270,30-06 and 7mm rem mag in short barrels, a 7mm rem mag needs a 24 at the bare minimum but 25-26" is ideal, the 25-06 which also happens to be my favorite allround calibre needs a 24" aswell but as yet and lord knows why but manufacturer's still keep making 22" versions......... arrrgghh!

Then again if your after a short rifle that can do most things then grab yourself a 20" AR-10 and you can swap it to 260,243 or even 7-08 to name but a few
    Mangle likes this.

I know exactly what you mean I can not understand why a firearm company would cripple such calibers that need 24 inch plus to perform to how they are meant to understandably 22 inch is good for hunting in bush but when you start hunting open tops areas thats where the longer barrel is handy for the longer range shots. So tomorrow night my XS7 stainless is being dropped off to me and Sunday I will be sighting it in.

And just in time for the roar and in stainless(we agree on a few things already) ! I'm used to 24" supressed rifles and as such its no biggie but after putting a few rounds down my AR-15 with its 20" semi bull barrel..... I can really appreciate a short rifle, still awaiting for it to come back from being supressed!

If anything with the likes of 7-08,243,308 etc most short action calibres 20-22" is just fine for most uses.... One new calibre that hasn't been around for very long and is yet to gain exposure down under is the 6.8SPC.... designed as a potential replacement for the 223/556 nato round in US Marine service its a .270 calibre bullet on a modified 223 case so it will be easily modifyable into the AR platform, whats cool about it is that it gains its 2460fps MV out of a 16" barrel pushing a 120gr SST with 1120 ft-lbs at 200m doing 2050fps.... that to me just has "the ultimate bush calibre" written all over it don't ya think!

yep heard of 6.8SPC would make a nice short actioned alternative to the 270 itself it is actually a wonder that a short actioned version of the .270 wasn't thought of sooner other than that yeah I am looking forward to having a rifle in 7mm chambering although I still ultimately want to own a 6.5-06 but having one built or having the funds to buy one is a long way off

R93
    yep heard of 6.8SPC would make a nice short actioned alternative to the 270 itself it is actually a wonder that a short actioned version of the .270 wasn't thought of sooner other than that yeah I am looking forward to having a rifle in 7mm chambering although I still ultimately want to own a 6.5-06 but having one built or having the funds to buy one is a long way off
    I have owned a 6.5-06 for a couple of years. I love the 6.5 calibre pills and love the 06. I found mine to be amazingly accurate. I witnessed another that is a tac driver as well. I am glad I had it done....... But, I have found lately I only use this as a LR rifle on the odd meat animal, tahr and the odd bit of steel that is operated by the banjo squad in Greymouth. (People south of Grey are considered less likely to be tampered with and as a rule have more teeth and can string the odd sentence together)
    Anyway to get the most out of the 6.5-06 you need at least 24' bl, mines 26'. Case life, even on Lapua brass is around 5 to 6 loadings max. I am shooting a 130gr pill at 3100ish to achieve best accuracy and brass life. You can get a 140 doing 3200 easily, but at a cost.
    I would never part with my 06 but I will look at something a little more all round if you know what I mean. I am planning to get a .260 AI barrel done for my boy. I have a feeling it will see a lot more everyday use than my 06. Ballistics are not far off the 06, I have found a projectile that performs in the velcoity range it should achieve and although my 06 isint that heavy I can do with mine being lighter by being shorter for my sons sake.
    I am not trying to put you off. I just think before you go to the hassle you may want to look at what you want to achieve and if it can be done with less hassle.
    If I was a dedicated F-class shooter and could afford tons of brass and a barrel change every couple of seasons I would seriously look no further than the 6.5-06.
    baldbob likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yes it is a great wonder although there is the 270wsm..........na lets not get started on short magnum and ultra magnum malarky here.... I'm seriously considering the 6.8 whether it be a complete AR or just the upper to pop onto my current one and take its upper off whilst i am using the 6.8 is yet to be decided, in saying that though a few of the guys off IMAS which is where I'm from and hence found this forum a few of the guys have got import permits for 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendle uppers all to A-cat specs, 7mm's are nice I'm not going to lie and from what I've gathered on here the general consensus is that most people on here are 30cal lovers? but I tell you what I've only seen one deer run after being shot as he galloped roughly in the direction me and my father where sitting amoungst some half cut down punga's, in saying that though the bullet went through the heart and missed both bloody shoulders and the bugger ended up on the knoll 20m from where I'd just shot mine from hehehehe....

it has arrived going to sight in tomorrow and have a bit of a play got a couple of packs of PPU 140gr SPBT and 120gr HP so I can find out which weight is going to shoot best in this rifle it has been reported that PPU ammo is supposed to shoot well in the XS7

it has arrived going to sight in tomorrow and have a bit of a play got a couple of packs of PPU 140gr SPBT and 120gr HP so I can find out which weight is going to shoot best in this rifle it has been reported that PPU ammo is supposed to shoot well in the XS7
    I helped a guy out with a 708, I'm sure it was one of these.

He took that scope off & put a VX3 on it.

I bet you go for the 120s..........

hopefully in a couple of months I can get another redfield and put it on the rifle. Will definitely find out today what weight bullet I will go for

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I helped a guy out with a 708, I'm sure it was one of these.

He took that scope off & put a VX3 on it.

I bet you go for the 120s..........
    Well Greg I will say that you were right about your comment regarding the 120gr HP privi partizan ammo it shot 1.5" or just under at 100 meters the 140gr SPBT Privi shot around 3-4" at 100 so I will have to get some more of the 120gr PPU to keep me going till I can start reloading for it would love to see what it can do with a 120gr under some 2208, will be taking scope off in the next couple of months once I can get another redfield or otherwise a bushnell banner that precision optics scope is horrible without finger adjustment as for eye relief well I will have to sit the front ring back a notch to sit the scope back further to get the right eye relief and maybe adjust the trigger down a bit from the factory set 3lb too. Other than that bloody nice rifle to shoot

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  100.4 KB
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Now that is a real range

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!