Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Brand new 7mm08 Browning X-Bolt

What are you doing while it cools, might as well push a rag through
    GWH and YosemiteSam like this.

Shooting other guns I brought to the range... Duh :p
    YosemiteSam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    My wooden Savages are impressively well sealed inside and out. My wooden Ruger isn't. No idea about a Browning, I guess the best way to find out is have a look.
    Might be the exception there @GravelBen. I have had quite a few wooden stock off rifles and can't remember one that didn't need extra work to seal the in-letting properly. Under the butt pad is another place that never seem to get any attention.
    Come to think of it I've never looked under the butt pad. It looks like the Savages were sealed after inletting and the Ruger was sealed before inletting. Always worth checking anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    I break in all my bolt action rifle barrels more as a piece mind as my very first new guns the mini 14 and mini 30 I just shot them and never hardly cleaned them shot 2"-3" groups.

What optics you putting on it and are you going to chop and suppress it?
    I got a Zeiss 4-12. The best my budget could reach to. Never had a scope worth more than 100 before.

Thanks for the input, advice and support. I'll break it in properly. And will dismantle and seal tomorrow.

When I put it back together should I leave a slick of gun grease on the underside of the barrel to protect it?
    gadgetman likes this.

Come to think of it I've never looked under the butt pad. It looks like the Savages were sealed after inletting and the Ruger was sealed before inletting. Always worth checking anyway!
    I'm not even sure how to get the butt pad off.

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    I'm not even sure how to get the butt pad off.
    It will be held on by two screws (probably #2 Philips head). If you look closely you will be able to see the tiny slits in the pad. Get the appropriate screw driver and grease the head and shaft well so when you unscrew it you won't rip the rubber of the pad. Apply plenty of good sealant to the raw timber. You can screw the pad back on with the sealant still wet if you don't think you will want to remove it again.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

If Savage seal the stock after inletting the butt is probably done too. Good stuff.

I took the rifle out for a break-in today. Nice and slow, shoot clean shoot. I only got eight shots in because I'm a Volly firefighter and the siren went up.

It's bloody loud to shoot. Louder than I expected. The kick is ok but after eight shots I was getting tired of it. No biggie just something to get used to. The ejected brass was quite cool. That surprised me too. Why isn't it hot?

I was shooting 150g partisan cheep stuff for break-in.

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    I took the rifle out for a break-in today. Nice and slow, shoot clean shoot. I only got eight shots in because I'm a Volly firefighter and the siren went up.

It's bloody loud to shoot. Louder than I expected. The kick is ok but after eight shots I was getting tired of it. No biggie just something to get used to. The ejected brass was quite cool. That surprised me too. Why isn't it hot?

I was shooting 150g partisan cheep stuff for break-in.
    Hope you are wearing ear protection at the range????
    BRADS likes this.

Yep. Full cans on the ears.
    Shearer likes this.

Just for the record, the browning X-bolt maple stocks are unsealed everywhere you can't see. They squirt the bedding onto bare wood and jam the action in and let it harden. And then never want to undo all that to seal the wood. But a tablespoon of Tung oil will fix all of that.

Because one day somebody wanting to buy an X-Bolt will read this... The 25th to 28th shots ever fired from my rifle. At 122 yards in a light breeze.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 258
Size:  95.4 KB
    Tahr likes this.