Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Fee Knicks
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 3 Post By gundoc

Thread: bsa sportsman ten feeding issue

bsa sportsman ten feeding issue

hi i have a bsa sportsman ten 22lr tube fed mag its not feeding seems to be alot or pressure coming from the next round hold the first round down or mabe an over powrfull spring the gun has done very little work any help of ideas welcome thank you in advance

Your best bet is just to take it to your local gunsmith.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Has it always been like that or something its started doing

New guy here - so take this with a grain of salt ....

Give it a good clean with Brakekleen and compressed air .

Then report back.
    bluecod1967 likes this.

I've got my Dad's one of these (originally a Sportsman 15) , he got it about 1955, I started using it about 1969. It's shot thousands each of rabbits and goats, plenty of pigs, possums, quail, cats and a few dogs.

AND it's always done what yours does Ken, ya gotta leave the tube follower out a bit and push it in as you go, became instinctive after a few rounds!
    bluecod1967 likes this.

Sometimes rubbish gets trapped in the stock recess below the cartridge lifter. Take the stock off and check, cleaning as required. If you can see marks in the woodwork where the lifter sits when the bolt is closed then that area may need careful deepening with a chisel. A safer alternative is to cut a spacing washer (from a plastic ice cream lid) to go around the stock retaining screw so the action is held slightly higher in the stock.
    Tentman, jamie and bluecod1967 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Sometimes rubbish gets trapped in the stock recess below the cartridge lifter. Take the stock off and check, cleaning as required. If you can see marks in the woodwork where the lifter sits when the bolt is closed then that area may need careful deepening with a chisel. A safer alternative is to cut a spacing washer (from a plastic ice cream lid) to go around the stock retaining screw so the action is held slightly higher in the stock.
    Jeez Gundoc - where have you been since 1955! Haha

up date thank you all for your help i gave the mag tube a good dose of degreaser and compressed air it felt like it was smooth before but now its very smooth i tried removing the end cap by removing the screw but no joy,gave it a wee splash of light spray oil and another does of air,loaded 5 pointed projectiles feed slighly better but not flash,them i loaded 5 555 winchester flat nose type and it feed flawless @gundoc that was my next try raising it to see if the loading gate was hitting the stock but theres no markings on the stock not to say its not touch but it did the same thing out of the stock so hopefully its just the combination of sticky tube and pointed bullets.

@Fee Knicks good advise thank you.ive only just got this thing it was the first try all good cheers

Pretty often no one has cleaned old .22 rifles for years and years coz you dont have to - right ?