Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Steelo

Thread: Bushnell Rainguard - worth it?

Bushnell Rainguard - worth it?

Hi all
    Had a few days in the Kaweka's recently and the weather was shit and when I was wet through so was my scope which required continuous cleaning which is a pain and I wondered if it was also compromising the lens coatings. When my scope a topline Burris was wet through it made me unable to take a quick shot when it suddenly presented itself. My question is to experienced Bushnell scope users, does the Rainguard coating work as portrayed in the advertising and would you recommend it?
    Many thanks for your thoughts and advice in advance.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm

57JL
    It sure does your kill rate will go up 100% because you will see streight away what you are aiming at no matter how shitty the weather is

I own a 2.5-10x Elite 4200 and would have to agree. The few times I have used it when it has been really wet it has remained well clear enough to use.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yes, it works well as long as you keep lenses clean. Water will still cling to dust and crap. A quick clean with gentle tools before you head out hunting is all you need.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Thanks for the replies and advice, much appreciated. Shearer is your scope a 40 or 50 objective and how do you rate the glass? I think I will start looking for a replacement scope with Rainguard for my bush rifle as it is useless trying to shoot through a wall of water on the lens.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger7mm View Post
    Thanks for the replies and advice, much appreciated. Shearer is your scope a 40 or 50 objective and how do you rate the glass? I think I will start looking for a replacement scope with Rainguard for my bush rifle as it is useless trying to shoot through a wall of water on the lens.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm
    2.5-10x40mm
    I would rate it at least as good as the VX3 4.5-14x40 I had. They are an under rated scope IMO.
    Did you get my PM?
    Last edited by Shearer; 28-11-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    Dama dama likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I've got a Legend 3-9 and been pretty happy with the rain guard coating and glass quality. I would look at any of their newer EXO barrier coated scopes in the Prime range and up. Pretty much rain guard mk2 that also repels finger prints and dust

Friend of mine really rates his Bushnell and rainguard.
    Shearer likes this.

Rainguard has been the difference of being able to see and shoot game in hard rain, misty conditions and wet nth island conditions for me on many occasions. So much so, that if it's likely to turn ugly, I grab a my old savage weather warrior rifle with a bushy rainguard scope.

I have a 3200 and legend and rate them for their intended purpose, not as nice or clear as my euro glass but been enough times I cant see through my kahles when the bushy is clear enough to id target clearly and shoot, even in steady rain.

DBD
    Does any other manufacturers offer "rainguard" on there scopes or binos? My spare set of 10x42 are Bushnell Legend M with rainguard HD, would it be the same coating as on the scopes?
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

Zerotech do a 'Weather shield' coating which supposedly is as good.