Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Buyinig Scope in States

How do people get hit with GST when coming into the country? All my latest times returning to NZ, all customs seems worried about is MAF type stuff, what food and wood etc im bringing back.

When you go through x ray and customs you have your checked luggage wih you. I brought a $200 scope back in June and didnt declare it. No questions asked at xray. Could have been a multi-k NF for all they knew. If its over $700 she will want to declare it. Not sure how they get gst from you. Have a card handy. Thats how i paid off a secret orange hiding in my bag once.

A practical problem was getting to a gunshop to buy one over the counter without a car. Big box shops were way outside the main cities.

How can you find out if something is ITAR or not ?

2 posters have mentioned 700 bucks now. Why 700?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    2 posters have mentioned 700 bucks now. Why 700?
    It's $400 NZ and over which attracts G.S.T. and the related charges. If the amount comes to under $60 NZ it's not collectable.

New Zealand Customs Service : Private imports by post or courier

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    It's $400 NZ and over which attracts G.S.T. and the related charges. If the amount comes to under $60 NZ it's not collectable.

New Zealand Customs Service : Private imports by post or courier
    Yep, fully know that. Have brought in my share of stuff over the last 15 years where I've been over the $60 threshold and it has come straight thru (no nice letter). Mostly though of late I receive the letter. I never get wound up about it - I always budget for it to happen. If it doesn't, well so be it goodo. Also had my share of stuff sitting close to the threshold value (yeah poor planning) and the xchange rate since I placed the order has changed and has pushed me over.

I was just wondering if the 700 bucks was misinformed advise to the OP or some perception that that is the point Customs will take collecting of duties more seriously, or equally as seriously as the MAF Biosecurity checks. Important to note that second hand goods and gifts are not exempt. And it is not just goods ordered by mail order.

Its $400 limit when items come via postage (total amount including actual postage), and $700 when you hand carry it...

I travel a lot, and most times I don't get scanned, so its a coin toss, with luck she will get thru without anything...
    10-Ring likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grunzter View Post
    Its $400 limit when items come via postage (total amount including actual postage), and $700 when you hand carry it...

I travel a lot, and most times I don't get scanned, so its a coin toss, with luck she will get thru without anything...
    Cheers for that.
    Covered in detail here New Zealand Customs Service : Overseas purchases & travellers
    "Fees and charges accompanied goods"

Recently had a New Leupold VX-R sent to me, fortunately a friend in the US took delivery then, sent to me as a gift, no tax fortunately, mind you saved $200 as it was on sale, so most pleased. Just got stung today on some clothing, $349USD and has cost a whole heap more, wasn't thinking at the time, win some lose some...need to sharpen up.

Anyone used the NZ post forwarding system or something similar to get scopes shipped out of the states, got my eye on a cheap VX6 as well. Unfortunately haven't got the luxury of actually going to the states and don't want the customs boys confiscating her.

I'm going ahead with mine - 800 US now for the base model VX6. I don't think they'd confiscate it but they might charge gst and duty

Hen
    Mate just brought back a vx6 from the states, had it in his checked luggage with all boxing as per out of the shop, customs didn't care about it, was a breeze apparently, no questions asked...

Cool! Fingers crossed.

Just back for the States bought back 4 scopes a V3 Magneto Speed crony, rotary S/S media tumbler, RCBS Charge master, Kestrel, LaRue QD mount and rings etc. and paid no GST so its the luck of the draw. I checked with Vortex and none of their scopes are ITAR controlled so printed that off and taped to the scope boxes in case security looked at them. Had non problems. The Gen II 4.5-27 ended up costing me only $2850 so worth it for the discount, good luck with the shopping

Nice one. I got the vx6 am waiting at airport now to collect my wife all seems to have gone smoothly no GST.

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Nice one. I got the vx6 am waiting at airport now to collect my wife all seems to have gone smoothly no GST.
    Which one will you be more pleased to see?
    P38 likes this.