Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Can 'scopes be freighted straight to NZ without permits at either end?

Can 'scopes be freighted straight to NZ without permits at either end?

As above. It's straight forward from the US. Nothing required. What about from Australia?

Tract have opened a warehouse in Aus.

Thanks
    GSP HUNTER and dannyb like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Not sure about scopes. I know for a fact that iron sights do not require an import permit.
    I applied for one after "the guy" at the firearms authority said I would require on.
    Six weeks later I had the permit declined due to no permit being required.

Optics and sights are of the same ilk?

Some one on here must know
    Tahr likes this.

I was told that you need a permit when shipping optics from Aus to nz and visa versa.

This was said when I was considering a vortex scope, the sales person, who didn't sell vortex, said that the vortex warranty isn't worth much as you can't easily ship them back to the main office, which apparently is in Aus.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

2 words " crossbow scope"
    not going on a firearam

Australia require an export permit.
    6x47 and 19Badger like this.

It all depends on who you deal with, hopefully it's improved a bit now but a few years ago I tried to buy flip up scope covers from the US and was told I needed export/import permits as they were considered an optical sighting accessory

Just buy one tract will know the rules.
    You know you need another 3-15 torric.
    Tahr, nor-west, GSP HUNTER and 3 others like this.

I just went through this with a Redfield-Leopold warrantee claim. I couldn't freight it to America because it is a, "Firearms component." However the Nelson based NZ agent could freight it to the Leopold service centre in Australia. The agent explained the hassles of freighting anything gun related. Aramex Couriers at the most helpful for gun stuff. Equally you could try calling it a "Star Gazing Lunar Telescope!"

For what its worth I recieved a holosun 507 comp from optics trade a week ago. Didnt do any paperwork because i assumed it wasnt required.

I asked this question to the police a while ago . This was the reply I got emailed back:
    “Scopes, scope rings, scope mounts and the like do not meet the interpretation of a part under Section 2 of the Arms Act 1983, therefore no permit is required for their importation.”
    Bear in mind this was mid 2021 . Things may have changed since?

This is the content of an email I received from the Firearms Safety Authority on 24 May this year:

Hi Craig,
    A scope and/or scope mount do not require permits to import into New Zealand, as they are not considered to be a part Pursuant to the Arms Act 1983. I trust this clarifies the matter for you. If you have any other queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us again, we’re always happy to assist.

Kind regards,

Debbie
    Permits Officer
    Kapiti Digital Centre

I have bought a scope from a shop in Sydney and had it freighted here, but was a few years ago. No export permit was required at that time.
    Tahr, BSA270, Nathanfish and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    I was told that you need a permit when shipping optics from Aus to nz and visa versa.

This was said when I was considering a vortex scope, the sales person, who didn't sell vortex, said that the vortex warranty isn't worth much as you can't easily ship them back to the main office, which apparently is in Aus.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
    The sales person has totally mislead you with vortex info. NZ Vortex warranty is managed in Auckland by Vortex NZ. Any replacement goes back to their warehouse. If replaced, then the stock comes from that warehouse.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    This is the content of an email I received from the Firearms Safety Authority on 24 May this year:

Hi Craig,
    A scope and/or scope mount do not require permits to import into New Zealand, as they are not considered to be a part Pursuant to the Arms Act 1983. I trust this clarifies the matter for you. If you have any other queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us again, we’re always happy to assist.

Kind regards,

Debbie
    Permits Officer
    Kapiti Digital Centre

I have bought a scope from a shop in Sydney and had it freighted here, but was a few years ago. No export permit was required at that time.
    You might be right from a NZ point of view, but the daft buggers in Aussie may require an export permit as their ruls make eve n less sense than ours...... A number of years back I had to ship a VZ33 bolt action mauser to Aussie. Customs Aussie required ithat it travel in a sturdy lockable gun case ....that must be left unlocked so they can open it to inspect it!!!!!!!! The guy had to spend $200 on a bloody case so it COULD be locked but SHOULDN't be locked....Or if it was locked, the key had to be attached so they could open it.....Bloody muppets I thought...
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Gotta get an export permit. If you need a hand I can show you how. It's long winded to get scopes outta Australia.
    You need to register with Aus Border Force to get a CCID. With the CCID you can apply to become an exporter from Defence Export Controls DEC, part of ADF and get a DCRN client number. Once you are registered with ADF as an exporter you can apply for an export permit through them. It's not hard and it's free to do but, it's long winded and geared around businesses, not an individual getting one scope. My wife is bringing back one for me this month and the last thing I want is for her to get bailed up leaving Aus. I think you just forfeit the thing if you don't have the paperwork but I'm not keen to try and chase it after the fact or deal with my wife if it went pear shaped.
    Nothing required as far I know for import permit into NZ. They're not as scary this side of the ditch.
    Last edited by kiwijames; 09-03-2024 at 06:00 PM.
    Dreamer, shift14 and Shamus_ like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Gotta get an export permit. If you need a hand I can show you how. It's long winded to get scopes outta Australia.
    You need to register with Aus Border Force to get a CCID. With the CCID you can apply to become an exporter from Defence Export Controls DEC, part of ADF and get a DCRN client number.
    In the USA it's worse...you have to apply to the ATF & FBI, with Forms 431 clause b, subset 6 in triplicate. You need an ETD (Estimated Time of Departure) but the airports are crowded, so the closer the ATA (Actual Time of Arrival) is to the ETA, the better. The goal is that ATA and ATD (Actual Time of Departure) are the same times as the ETA and ETD.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.