Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Hunting Permits

Hunting Permits

Hello Everyone, new member here, I'm planning a solo, self guided 5 week backpack hunting trip from the UK to New Zealand South Island in February and March next year. I'll be after camp meat, so a goat, pig or young deer is all I'd be after, no

Trophies. Been doing lots of research and I'm aware I need to purchase Permits for hunting(recurve bow) and fishing on DOC land. The permits are valid for 4 months so I haven't purchased any as yet, but when looking at the DOC website I get the

impression that I'd need to buy a permit for every Block I intended to hunt in. Is it possible to buy a permit for either the whole of the South Island or maybe just regions, also how much do they cost, I can't see any prices on the DOC website.

Many thanks,

Nick

HOO
    Hunting Permits are free, and you can just select all areas when you get it online. Fishing license for fresh water must be purchased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eat Meater likes this.

HOO
    There are some areas which are balloted I think but not too sure on those as I don’t go there

Free ?!!, I can't believe it, your so lucky down there. I was budgeting quite a lot of money for the permits. It would cost me the equivalent of about $400 NZ dollars to have a 3 hour stalking session here and then the same again to buy the hind that I'd shot, a lot more

for a stag!!

many thanks for taking the time to reply HOO, you have made me very happy.

Best wishes,

Nick

HOO
    Yep it’s a pretty good system.

Just make sure you print the permit out and take it with you.
    I’ve never actually been asked by anyone to see it but always have it with me or at least screenshots of it on my phone.
    Has all the rules regarding hunting in NZ on the permit and I assume any rules that might pertain to the area you’re hunting in.

HOO
    Some people would disagree but numbers are too high here so shoot hinds does or nannie’s for camp meat

Eat Meater and TimC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-UK View Post
    Free ?!!, I can't believe it, your so lucky down there. I was budgeting quite a lot of money for the permits. It would cost me the equivalent of about $400 NZ dollars to have a 3 hour stalking session here and then the same again to buy the hind that I'd shot, a lot more

for a stag!!

Best wishes,

Nick
    For a lot of us deer are pest animals that need to be gotten rid of.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-UK View Post

for a stag!!

Best wishes,

Nick

Public access hunting is really good compared to Europe and even parts of North America. Just bear in mind that in a lot of areas, you have to put in the hard yards and have good skills to get on to an animal, especially if bow hunting. A lot of the hunting that you see on social media is done on private land which is a different kettle of fish. Goats are a great animal to start on, being plentiful in some areas and no too bright. My family live on goat meat.
    camenzie and Goateater like this.

Goats better than lamb IMHO MB
    just not old stinky billies
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Goats better than lamb IMHO MB
    just not old stinky billies
    I would like to eat a goat better than this wild lamb from last week !

So tender and tasty you could suck it through a straw

So Name:  20230919_174517.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  1.91 MB
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I would like to eat a goat better than this wild lamb from last week !

So tender and tasty you could suck it through a straw

So Attachment 234047
    But head shots only on these little ones or you wreck half the meat.
    When you catch the ewes out in the open they are hard to get close
    Lots of very wary eyes despite the long wool over them
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Greetings Nick! Love your part of the world, and miss bits of it terribly.

Permit application form is here:
    https://huntingpermits.doc.govt.nz/huntingpermits/start
    Probably best to just tick them all to give yourself flexibility. I think there is also info on the main hunting areas whether it's open or restricted/balloted.

More info here on rules (incl. for bows)
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...unting-permit/

And the map with open/restricted hunting areas
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/map/index.html

Would highly recommend using NZTopoMaps app. The free version you can see Topo maps (obvs) and good aerial phot, as well as overlays with the open hunting areas. For I think NZ$12 you can get the pro version which allows you to plan and record all your tracks, and some other things I prob don't use. Not sure if it works overseas, but you could prob sort that when you get here.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...is.nzmaps.free

I use Topo maps app in combo with this website which shows public access routes (landowner permission still required for some routes, bur would prob be a courtesy for most anyway)
    https://www.herengaanuku.govt.nz/map...r-access-maps/

Saw your other post. I would probably say if going solo, an Inreach is apparently useful for non-life threatening situations, but most would recommend a PLB as well. You'll find a few threads on here where Inreach hasn't got through. For the price of 5 weeks hire, or a bit more than your 3 hour stalk, you could buy one here, and maybe even sell it before you leave. Peter on here as @CooeeBay will be able to help you more on that front probably. I bought mine from him, great prices, great knowledge, and excellent customer service.

Also, I have a fair bit of extra stuff sitting here not getting used, so if you wanted to borrow a tent/tarp/sleeping bag/bivi to save bringing it out, should be able to work something out.

That's prob a good start. There will most likely be some good tips on where might be good to focus your attention for not-difficult access with a good chance of getting something. Wrong island, but if you find yourself in Wellington, there's a bed here (2.3 star rating, so don't get your hopes up! Although luckily the guest suite is in the non-rotten part of the house).

Good luck with the planning!
    rupert, Mrs Beeman, HOO and 2 others like this.
    bunji likes this.

Just to clarify, Doc Hunting permits are solely for public land and do not allow you to hunt game birds. Private land you need permission from the landowner.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Just to clarify, Doc Hunting permits are solely for public land and do not allow you to hunt game birds. Private land you need permission from the landowner.
    Ah yeah, very good point.
    bunji likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Good point. "Fish & Game" are a quasi-governmental organisation and have nothing to do with big game hunting. I can see how it would be confusing for a visitor!