Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Customs notification for imports

Anybody know what method and how long customs takes to notify you of an item they have that needs an import permit?

Track and trace shows it's in customs but I haven't been contacted

I had this issue late last year.
    They never contacted me nor did they respond to my emails or multiple phone calls/voicemails.
    I ended up making a complaint and doing an oia request for number of packages containing firearms related stuff and how many addressees were contacted by customs.
    They didn’t process the complaint in the time they are supposed to. I got the oia information which was clearly wrong as my package would have been in the total and they never informed me.
    They even managed to stuff up the clearance as I was told it had been delivered and pointed out it hadn’t. They checked and said that’s right it was put in the wrong place but it’s on the way now.
    Clowns.
    If you end up complaining add in an oia request. There are statutory requirements for them to reply.

Just get a import permit for anything remotely gun related. Customs has been told by police to hold EVERYTHING firearms related . The wording in the last round of anal rapping, sorry I mean law changes is ver vague and means anything technically from a screw( this one caught me out) to an optic or a sling can require a permit to import. That being said , I know of a heap of stuff still coming through without permits. While it's still free just apply for everything you might import now. Customs is slow also. Took 12 weeks to recieve some reloading gear, which I was declined an impot permit for as it was not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanfish View Post
    Just get a import permit for anything remotely gun related. Customs has been told by police to hold EVERYTHING firearms related . The wording in the last round of anal rapping, sorry I mean law changes is ver vague and means anything technically from a screw( this one caught me out) to an optic or a sling can require a permit to import. That being said , I know of a heap of stuff still coming through without permits. While it's still free just apply for everything you might import now. Customs is slow also. Took 12 weeks to recieve some reloading gear, which I was declined an impot permit for as it was not required.
    Cheers everyone. Already have the permit. I might just ring customs to see if I can pick it up as they haven't contacted me to tell me they have it

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Cheers everyone. Already have the permit. I might just ring customs to see if I can pick it up as they haven't contacted me to tell me they have it
    Yep I had the necessary permit already couriered to the arms officer before the stuff arrived.