Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Is it the end of the road for my Z5

Buga… see if you can get it fixed under warranty? Worth a shot. Hard to tell from photos but looks like the central spindle has sheared off?
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

well I wont spend huge $$$$ on a sccope...I simply can not justify it.... I dont dial,no interest in doing so as dont shoot past 300 very often at all... so I have simply leupolds on all my rifles. Im old enough to remember when a fixed power scope was considered more reliable than a vari power as there was less to go wrong,leak.let in moisture,crap out....NOTHING has changed about that...the more gizmos,the higher the chane of it failing.... as DannyB has said the nightforce might have reputation of being able to run over with truck or hammer in a nail...it comes at expence of weight and cost.
    IF they bought out a fixed 4x with good field of view for $500 it would just about kill off a whole section of market and would be a true one scope for lifetime of rifle thing.
    take scope back to shop...let them deal with it...it has failed under normal fair wear n tear....you shouldnt have to re pay to fix it.
    caberslash and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well I wont spend huge $$$$ on a sccope...I simply can not justify it.... I dont dial,no interest in doing so as dont shoot past 300 very often at all... so I have simply leupolds on all my rifles. Im old enough to remember when a fixed power scope was considered more reliable than a vari power as there was less to go wrong,leak.let in moisture,crap out....NOTHING has changed about that...the more gizmos,the higher the chane of it failing.... as DannyB has said the nightforce might have reputation of being able to run over with truck or hammer in a nail...it comes at expence of weight and cost.
    IF they bought out a fixed 4x with good field of view for $500 it would just about kill off a whole section of market and would be a true one scope for lifetime of rifle thing.
    take scope back to shop...let them deal with it...it has failed under normal fair wear n tear....you shouldnt have to re pay to fix it.
    Thanks MD
    When hunting think safety first

This is bad news. The Swarovski's I've seen have great glass and I would like one.

Mickey Duck is right, they are a lightweight scope and that's desirable but not at the expense of reliability.
    I'm also old enough to remember when they claimed fixed power were more reliable but my memory is short enough to be looking at new and shiny stuff.
    I remember a time when Japanese Tasco had an unconditional lifetime warranty. They would cover accidental damage.

Leupold, I have a couple and they have a lifetime warranty , that's hard to beat. They have proven reliable and my younger mate summed it up once saying that Leupold make great scopes under $1000, over that you can get some great glass if you are paying big money.

I done a lot of research on Swarovski a year or so back. I really wanted a Z5 2.4-12x50 for a light weight rifle and thought this was the best balance of weight and versatility. I found a few comments on the odd one that failed but I guess they all can. It's only budget that made me give up on the idea and use a Leupold that I already had.
    Nightforce are rugged and reliable but they are heavy. I suspect in hunting scope models Swarovski would have the edge in glasd quality and clarity.

Let's hope it's not the end of the line and it can be repaired, I imagine it's a nice hunting scope.

I’m sure Swaro will fix it for you.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Not a thread I wanted to see having a z5 in the cupboard waiting to go on a rifle....
    Micky Duck and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Banned
    I have a double thickness of pushbike tube over my Z5 objective and back to the turret, then a piece of car tire tube cable tied so that it is like a spray skirt over the turrets to protect them from hanging up and scrapes.
    I dont think the OP's scope is done, just needs a new turret.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

I have been speaking with Scott at Southern wild, they seem very good to deal with and I have always found them helpful, Scott is going to let me know whether to send it to them or Swarovski to get fixed.

Fingers crossed we can get it sorted.
    Micky Duck likes this.

By the way thanks everyone for your input, you have all been helpful as usual

Mate had a similar thing happen, slipped on a black ice rock in a tahr block, night one of a 5 night trip.

Slipped over and carried on. At the top I glanced over and noticed was missing. Couldn't find anywhere naturally.

Rest of trip was shooting fine apart from no dial

Got out, went into nearest hnf and a week later a new turret showed up no charge.

I'm sure if you take yours in or photos they'll be able to do something. Admittedly not "bulletproof" or tough as some of the others, but from my mates experience their warranty is pretty good
    Moa Hunter and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner223 View Post
    Mate had a similar thing happen, slipped on a black ice rock in a tahr block, night one of a 5 night trip.

Slipped over and carried on. At the top I glanced over and noticed was missing. Couldn't find anywhere naturally.

Rest of trip was shooting fine apart from no dial

Got out, went into nearest hnf and a week later a new turret showed up no charge.

I'm sure if you take yours in or photos they'll be able to do something. Admittedly not "bulletproof" or tough as some of the others, but from my mates experience their warranty is pretty good
    Cheers mate thanks for your post

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I repeat, rugged reliable repeatable, there's only one!

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    @andyanimal31 was wondering how long it'd take you to find this haha
    andyanimal31 and superdiver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Not a thread I wanted to see having a z5 in the cupboard waiting to go on a rifle....
    @223nut nah sounds like they are more delicate than cornflakes. Just give it to me to dispose of properly
    223nut and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I bloody love mine, its been a great scope and I hope I get it sorted. You won't regret your purchase as long as it keeps going good.
    CBH Australia and Kiwi328 like this.

I'm just waiting for a left handed t3 in 223 to show up here.... Then I can put it on something
    Micky Duck likes this.