Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Importing rifle stocks from the US

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    a) you can bring in a complete AR15 upper (BCG and barrel and receiver) say, no permit needed and none will be issued.
    b) you can bring in a stripped lower without any MSSA parts on it, no permit needed and none will be issued.
    That is not correct. A permit is required for a complete upper, as this is the action.

Police policy is a permit is required for an AR15 lower as well.
    From NZPOL website:
    "A permit is not required for parts of a sporting rifle or shotgun other than the complete action (upper and/or lower receiver for AR/AK types)."

Further information from the NZPOL guide for importing parts:
    Section 18 of the Arms Act 1983 provides for the issuance of permits to import for the purposes of section 16 of the Arms Act 1983. There is no provision for Police to issue a permit
    to import for components of firearms, other than those that fall within the definition of ‘part’ above.

To summarise, the only component of a firearm (that is not a pistol, restricted weapon or MSSA) that requires a permit to import is the action of that firearm.

Police do not have a practice of issuing a letter stating that a component does not require a permit to import and suggest that if further information is required by overseas authorities, reference can be made to this information on the New Zealand Police website.

http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...f-firearms.pdf

a) you need to fill out a "end user statement for export" which Brownells will send you. In that you say its for your personal use and what you will use it for.
    b) you need to fill out a "DSP-83" which Brownells will send you. It has to be counter signed by the NZ Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade to say they wont allow it to be exported.
    c) Tell Brownells no import certificate is needed (as long as its a Cat A part or gun).
    The DSP-83 doesn't need to be signed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You only need to complete sections 3, 4, 5 and 7. The State Department won't accept your word that an import permit is not required. They need a letter stating that, or an import permit.

Brownells now tell me they need a letter stateing I dont need an import permit and the NZ police wont issue such a letter...

ffs

I got the guy at the Ministry and he'll sign "the not allowed to export bit" no problems.

Seems I am now stuffed unless Brownells accept my word I dont need a permit...

So it maybe I go get a E class endorsemnt as taht forced the police to write me a permit...

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Brownells now tell me they need a letter stateing I dont need an import permit and the NZ police wont issue such a letter...
    Write the letter yourself.

See my previous post for information regarding this matter from the NZPOL website.
    ARdave likes this.

I got the guy at the Ministry and he'll sign "the not allowed to export bit" no problems.

Seems I am now stuffed unless Brownells accept my word I dont need a permit...
    No one needs to sign section 8 "the not allowed to export bit".
    Needing an import permit isn't a Brownells thing. The US State Department require it (or a letter) as part of the export process.

What parts are you trying to get? Just get an import permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    No one needs to sign section 8 "the not allowed to export bit".
    Needing an import permit isn't a Brownells thing. The US State Department require it (or a letter) as part of the export process.

What parts are you trying to get? Just get an import permit.
    This is interesting as there is so much confusion.....

I want some AR15 parts like uppers and lowers.

I went to get an import permit and the Police AO said he wouldnt issue one (he was not allowed to) as one was not legally required. It is only legally required for a complete gun or a complete action, or a MSSA part or a part going on a MSSA.

I have written a "personal" letter this morning and sent it off, lets see how it goes.

Section8, well I have an MAFT official happy to sign it so I'll get him to sign it, its free anyway.

Your AO is giving you really bad advice. Police consider the upper and/or lower to be the 'action', so they both require import permits. This is stated on the police website.

A permit is not required for parts of a sporting rifle or shotgun other than the complete action (upper and/or lower receiver for AR/AK types). Firearms application forms | New Zealand Police

Going off your AO's word, anyone could import AR15s as long as they weren't assembled.

From the guidelines on the DDTC website:
    Item 8 of the DSP-83 needs to be completed ONLY when the foreign government is the end-user of a commodity.
    They capitalized ONLY, not me.

Getting someone to sign section 8 will most likely cause your license to be declined.

Hi,

Well I have asked my AO, if it goes to custard I cant be told off too much as I have talked to him for his clearance and I have gone off what he has told me, I mean I have done everything in my power to comply. Also I specifically asked about upper and lower AR15 parts. So that english "upper AND lower" of an AR15 would be a complete AR15 in effect so yes this would require a permit. I did ask about a lower and if its stripped its a part and not a complete item as far as he is concerned, so no problems. While the US says a lower is the firearm it isnt an action under NZ law, its a trigger assembly, wierd huh.

oh boy it shouldnt be opaque

:/

I will take your suggestion and leave 8 unsigned and see how it goes, worst case Brownells sends it back to be done.

In terms of the Police import application form, this wording is what made me go ask the AO after I read it.

Lets see how this goes.