Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By Sidetrack
  • 8 Post By Southcity
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By BushChook
  • 2 Post By Southcity
  • 1 Post By Njappers

Thread: Legacy Firearm - An itch that needs scratched.

Legacy Firearm - An itch that needs scratched.

It gladdens the heart when I see an old hand such as Ron Spomer still fizzing at the bung and getting excited about a new rifle purchase. The Parkwest CD10 falling block in 7x57 is an absolute stunner and still a totally practical, usable bit of kit. It, in fact, screams to be handled, taken out hunting and not be hung on a wall or languishing in a safe.

The Wood and Blued Steel thread, and others, is a wonderful testament to many of the fine examples of firearms that have deep historical and/or generational meaning to their owners. Condition and value certainly not a prerequisite and everyone has their own preference as to aesthetics that appeal to them or not.

Currently, I have set aside a stainless Rem700 action and a slab of walnut for such a project. I’m still up in the air if this the action I want to use but firmly committed to my choice of 7x57 as my preferred caliber. 22” barrel with 1:9-1:10 twist rate. Finished in Matt or satin black.
    Have looked at a lot of stock designs but always come back to clean, uncluttered classical lines.
    Mucking around with the old P14 and 788’s keep the juices flowing and it’ll all come to a head in the next year or so, no doubt.
    Cheers all.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

That Parkwest rifle of Spomers is perfect. The only thing I'd change is the initials inlay!
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    It gladdens the heart when I see an old hand such as Ron Spomer still fizzing at the bung and getting excited about a new rifle purchase. The Parkwest CD10 falling block in 7x57 is an absolute stunner and still a totally practical, usable bit of kit. It, in fact, screams to be handled, taken out hunting and not be hung on a wall or languishing in a safe.

The Wood and Blued Steel thread, and others, is a wonderful testament to many of the fine examples of firearms that have deep historical and/or generational meaning to their owners. Condition and value certainly not a prerequisite and everyone has their own preference as to aesthetics that appeal to them or not.

Currently, I have set aside a stainless Rem700 action and a slab of walnut for such a project. I’m still up in the air if this the action I want to use but firmly committed to my choice of 7x57 as my preferred caliber. 22” barrel with 1:9-1:10 twist rate. Finished in Matt or satin black.
    Have looked at a lot of stock designs but always come back to clean, uncluttered classical lines.
    Mucking around with the old P14 and 788’s keep the juices flowing and it’ll all come to a head in the next year or so, no doubt.
    Cheers all.
    Legacy Firearms. I am not sure of the rifle you refer to of Ron Spomer? I assume a Dakota M10 which Park west took over. ( not sure why they chose to throw away the ‘Dakota Brand’ which had developed a formidable brand standing for precision and quality.) Anyway that’s another story.
    I guess you just need to look at history in terms of what become legacy rifles. Holland & Holland, Westly Richards, Purdey etc. I can’t see a stainless Tikka or Bergera becoming one of them.
    I have a handful of rifles that I will hand down to the next generation if they are interested. But only a few in my collection fall into that category. Here’s one. Dakota M10 in 257 Roberts.
    Name:  IMG_3590.png
Views: 307
Size:  127.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3595.png
Views: 303
Size:  111.4 KB
    NRT, Slug, Dama dama and 5 others like this.

Even the rings are colour case hardened, that's attention to detail.
    Micky Duck likes this.

the sad thing is many folks get to end of thier shooting life and look around and have no relative to hand guns on to.....or no relatives they think deserve them....
    those folk who end up being gifted firearms will end up cherishing them more than ones bought n paid for as the sentiment is there when using them.
    I know when Ive shot animals with guns left to me it means more and always think of the gifter fondly.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the sad thing is many folks get to end of thier shooting life and look around and have no relative to hand guns on to.....or no relatives they think deserve them....
    those folk who end up being gifted firearms will end up cherishing them more than ones bought n paid for as the sentiment is there when using them.
    I know when Ive shot animals with guns left to me it means more and always think of the gifter fondly.
    Absolutely. My Dad sold his TOZ at a garage sale, I would have loved to have that just to remember his stories everytime I used it.
    I'm only attracted to older rifles, I guess I like knowing they have a story. I don't own anything younger than 50.
    Not that I'm opposed to new technology, it just doesn't feel the same for me.
    It's been a dream of mine since watching cowboy movies as a kid to own an old side by side 12ga.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BushChook View Post
    Absolutely. My Dad sold his TOZ at a garage sale, I would have loved to have that just to remember his stories everytime I used it.
    I'm only attracted to older rifles, I guess I like knowing they have a story. I don't own anything younger than 50.
    Not that I'm opposed to new technology, it just doesn't feel the same for me.
    It's been a dream of mine since watching cowboy movies as a kid to own an old side by side 12ga.
    Yes a very valid point Bushchook. There is also something noble about saving old stuff. Too often I see beautiful old rifles chopped and silenced and think why do that to a rifle that has survived the ages.
    I guess being attracted to older rifles maybe the story they tell, but also the fine material and workmanship that allowed them to stand the test of time.
    Don’t be distracted from buying something quality more recent and creating your own stories.
    Tech and BushChook like this.

I have my grandads single shot 22.
    It will never leave me and still gets used an aweful lot.
    Biggest question is do I restore it out keep it in is current patina

Quote Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
    Yes a very valid point Bushchook. There is also something noble about saving old stuff. Too often I see beautiful old rifles chopped and silenced and think why do that to a rifle that has survived the ages.
    I guess being attracted to older rifles maybe the story they tell, but also the fine material and workmanship that allowed them to stand the test of time.
    Don’t be distracted from buying something quality more recent and creating your own stories.
    Yes, I am not opposed to new rifles. In other hobbies like music I have bought both new and old guitars etc. both have their merit.
    With rifles though, you can find beautiful old gems for a lot less than a brand new comparable rifle which also adds to the appeal.
    I really like old BRNO and BSA stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
    Legacy Firearms. I am not sure of the rifle you refer to of Ron Spomer? I assume a Dakota M10 which Park west took over. ( not sure why they chose to throw away the ‘Dakota Brand’ which had developed a formidable brand standing for precision and quality.) Anyway that’s another story.
    I guess you just need to look at history in terms of what become legacy rifles. Holland & Holland, Westly Richards, Purdey etc. I can’t see a stainless Tikka or Bergera becoming one of them.
    I have a handful of rifles that I will hand down to the next generation if they are interested. But only a few in my collection fall into that category. Here’s one. Dakota M10 in 257 Roberts.
    Attachment 251041
    Attachment 251042
    Apologies, it’s SD not CD. Your M10 is the same rifle, just rebranded. Parkwest is pretty much the same company but don’t have the rights to the Dakota name. That all went south when Remington went tits up. Not sure who owns the naming rights now. Either way, it’s a stunning piece. I envy you.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    Apologies, it’s SD not CD. Your M10 is the same rifle, just rebranded. Parkwest is pretty much the same company but don’t have the rights to the Dakota name. That all went south when Remington went tits up. Not sure who owns the naming rights now. Either way, it’s a stunning piece. I envy you.
    Thanks, yes a nice rifle and piece of engineering. Sometimes I wish I could articulate to the anti gun fraternity the pleasure I get from the engineering and artwork that many of my classy rifles ooze. But most wouldn’t give you the time of day to listen. It’s no different than a wine connoisseur being inspired by a classy red or a cigar aficionado appreciating a select cigar of choice.
    Thanks for the info on Parkwest. I didn’t know they didn’t have rights to the Dakota brand.

I love the old stuff. Just bought a Brno model 21 in 7x57. Owning old quality guns is one thing, but it needs to do what it was design to do. If not, buy another gun instead of altering the old gals.
    BushChook likes this.