Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: .600 Nitro

.600 Nitro

Had my renewal vetting this morning, and after all the serious stuff we moved on to watching videos of people firing the .600 Nitro. Anyone got one of these monsters? How much does ammo cost? Anyone hit a deer with one, and if so was there much salvagable meat left?

That wimpy thing. Not a patch on the 700 Nitro that came out a few years back. Regarding the 600 nitro if you have to ask how much the ammo costs you can't afford it. It fires a 900 grain projectile at around 1,900 fps so meat damage would not be too bad as likely only solids were available. Damage to your shoulder would be something else. Bigger calibres were available in the black powder era with Baker using a 2 bore (a little over an inch dia). The powder charge was obscene.
    GPM.
    Micky Duck, 40mm, dannyb and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    That wimpy thing. Not a patch on the 700 Nitro that came out a few years back. Regarding the 600 nitro if you have to ask how much the ammo costs you can't afford it. It fires a 900 grain projectile at around 1,900 fps so meat damage would not be too bad as likely only solids were available. Damage to your shoulder would be something else. Bigger calibres were available in the black powder era with Baker using a 2 bore (a little over an inch dia). The powder charge was obscene.
    GPM.
    I definetly can't afford it. Can't afford a broken shoulder or collar bone either.

just get a 50 cal way more fun

But none of the mystique that a .600 Nitro has....

Where's @40mm when we are talking about obscene powder charges haha
    40mm likes this.

Greetings All,
    This post has me thinking about recoil, or more on the declining amount of recoil that I can tolerate. I shot a lot of the local NZDA target shoots with my old Remington ADL in .308 with full power loads and a hard plastic butt plate. After I fitted a Hogue stock I gave the old one to a friend that liked the rifle and the old stock was fitted to his .308 barrelled action. It now has a rubber butt pad, a much heavier scope and a bipod. To be honest I found the recoil of even the 150 grain loads I was testing for him demanding even shooting from a bench seated. I suppose it is just getting old. Over time I dialled back the loads with my .308 for target shooting and then changed to a .223. My .308 now has a suppressor so that must help as well. As for firing a 600 Nitro or a two bore, no thanks. I will just watch from a safe distance.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Biggest I've fired is a brno in 500 Jeffrey that @Friwi brought to the first big bore shoot held in taranaki. 535 gr fmj at 2400 fps makes for robust recoil. There was a video of a small ginger person firing it.
    I've got a 500 3 inch black powder express and that's not too uncomfortable @akaroa1 is looking at making a single shot "super snider" based on the 577 nitro case. He's calculated the recoil at 60 ft lbs
    Micky Duck likes this.

Biggest I've fired is a brno in 500 Jeffrey that @Friwi brought to the first big bore shoot held in taranaki. 535 gr fmj at 2400 fps makes for robust recoil. There was a video of a small ginger person firing it.
    I've got a 500 3 inch black powder express and that's stout with 120 grains of 2f and a 450 grain bullet but not too uncomfortable. @akaroa1 is looking at making a single shot "super snider" based on the 577 nitro case. He's calculated the recoil at 60 ft lbs.

Double posted instead of edit

Biggest I have fired is a 505 Gibbs.

I was expecting more of a push but got a hefty boot instead. At $US30 a round I declined another shot ..... and that was 20 years ago.....
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Had my renewal vetting this morning, and after all the serious stuff we moved on to watching videos of people firing the .600 Nitro. Anyone got one of these monsters? How much does ammo cost? Anyone hit a deer with one, and if so was there much salvagable meat left?
    get your self a 12 gauge and shoot a small deer say a fallow with it using a solid slug that will be close to it - most of us just want to hear the story as we cant be bothered with that kind of nonsense
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Yeah nah. Not for me guys

But a quick crunch of the numbers

Jeffery 16 pound 600 Double, 900 grain projectile, 1900 FPS EQUALS 110 to 120 Foot Pounds of recoil

The 577 3" BPE I'm building at 12 pounds would produce 60 Foot Pounds recoil
    @Marty Henry and my 500 3" BPEs produce about 30 Foot Pounds recoil

A puny 308 produces a mere 15 Foot Pounds
    Micky Duck and 40mm like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

There's a 600 Nitro Express Double that was brought from Canterbury recently and now lives somewhere in the CNI
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Loaded factory ammo looks to go about $50 US to $70 US PER ROUND So $100 to 150 NZ PER ROUND

That's probably cheap compared to the costs involved with the broken collar bone
    Micky Duck and 40mm like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter