Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Magnetospeed mounts

Magnetospeed mounts

I'm pondering a new chrony after many years of running a magnetospeed sporter type. I've looked at the Labradar and those of similar types, but it's pretty hard to beat the magnetospeed's utility.

The Yanks now have a choice of several designs of rail that removes the magnetospeed from the barrel - it attaches to a rail on the fore-end. Has anyone built their own or used one of these - any tricks/tips or observations?

Thanks

There's also the Fx Ballistic Chrograph now but the price is ouch.
    Mounts available in the States seem quite expensive and the cost of a V3 plus a decent mount ends up about the same as a LR.
    I think it was Xring on YouTube who I watched the other night doing a review of the Fx, Labradar, and the V3. Still a bit of messing around using a mount and getting the correct clearance.

Found it https://youtu.be/6wYJGKOiTGk

Yeah I watched it too . . .

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I'm pondering a new chrony after many years of running a magnetospeed sporter type. I've looked at the Labradar and those of similar types, but it's pretty hard to beat the magnetospeed's utility.

The Yanks now have a choice of several designs of rail that removes the magnetospeed from the barrel - it attaches to a rail on the fore-end. Has anyone built their own or used one of these - any tricks/tips or observations?

Thanks
    I feel like the lab radar is about to be obsolete due to its bulk and hassle to set up, newer smaller radar options are coming to market. I had the toll up a while back between the 2 and went with the magneto speed, i have not felt wanting with it at all and for what i do it works better than the lab radar as my loads are almost always done on velocity 1st so i don't actually need to go to the range, i can just go out back somewhere and shoot into a hill to get velocity readings. also i think that lab radar struggles with subs and with 4000fps plus velocities some of which i thing you can fix with extra bits you buy but seeing as i have 4000fps+ guns it put it off the table too for me

i really like the look of the newer type of radars that mount to your rifle and you can just about keep them on there for matches and get shot to shot data.

In saying that, ill propably keep my Magneto V3 for some years to come, i just need to find some adapters to make it fit on thin sporter barrels as sometimes its hard if you dont have a supressor on a sporter
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

I have the magneto v3 love it as it's so easy to set up and simple to use.
    Can't see I'll ever change it.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Larskramer likes this.

Fairly easy to mod the original Magneto to work with suppressors. I've had zero issues with mine in modded format.
    I still remove it to shoot for groups only because the poi is slighly changed with/without. Dont expect the intended target would notice!
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post

Thanks
    It’s worth trying the Magnetospeed straight first.
    Some barrels, the POI is not affected by having the Magnetospeed fitted. Faffing around making a mount might be redundant.

It doesn't seem to effect my poi

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Doesn’t effect poi or group size on the few rifles I’ve shot with the v3

I liked my V2. Vastly better than my previous optical chronies (or any optical chrony) that it replaced. And it did move groups mounted versus off, some rifles minimally some more so. Soon as you hang something like that on your barrel you mess with the harmonics. Meant load development potentially required twice as many shots which probably wasn't a real issue when I had it given the cost of components back then. Sometimes a single group shot with it removed confirmed group still OK and rifle zeroed at the same time. So extra shots fired could be quite low.

Ultimately I replaced my V2 with a Labradar. The V2 wouldn't easily fit my military rifles. My Swiss rifle for example I would remove the stacking hook each time to mount it.

The Labradar is going to be around for a while yet. The best alternative is the Fx Ballistic Chronograph but it is way too expensive.

The Speedtracker (nee Bulletseeker) has developed a bad accuracy reputation so it's not yet the Labradar killer it has been touted to be.

I've recently started using a V3 on a mount purchased from the states made by Wiser Precision. Has the advantage over most that it can be adjusted to different angles ie. if you have a hunting stock with a pic rail that doesn't run parallel to the barrel.

\https://www.wiserprecision.com/produ...rono-mount-pro

Pic attached of it on a Hardy Project X. Only issue currently is the recoil and/or muzzle blast slowly slides the bayonet down the barrel, however this should be easily rectified. Any questions ask away.

Name:  20230815_085026.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  2.51 MB
    Kimber 7mm-08, 20 Bore and STC like this.

Hey thanks for that, very interesting . . . .
    Vandy likes this.

That looks like a really good product and relatively well priced for what it is.

Vandy likes this.

I'm still scratching my head over this ms thing all I have ever done is work up a load and once best accuracy has been found I then crono some and job done all the way out to 1430y

Quote Originally Posted by deye223 View Post
    I'm still scratching my head over this ms thing all I have ever done is work up a load and once best accuracy has been found I then crono some and job done all the way out to 1430y
    A lot of people prefer to select their load based on lower SD's and ES's as well as group size when doing ladder tests. I'd rather have a .75 MOA group with an ES of under 20 fps than a .25 MOA group with a much higher ES for long range hunting. Just different ways of doing things
    dannyb and 20 Bore like this.