Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Muzzle Brake Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Well if there is a patent pending, greg you 'd better check this out( I guess you would already have done so?)

By the way ,the guy makes an accurate description of the components he uses, but what about the software program he wrote?
    Is there a way of getting it ? Or are there some brainy gigs on the forum to understand and write such program?

It would be great to have such equipment here in NZ
    There is no patent pending as far as I'm aware, at least there wasn't ages ago ?

Before I made my new rig I looked into the very same system he is using, its doable but at $1500+ & after conflicting advice I was unsure whether it would work.

I chose to spend those dollars on enhancing a visual system I knew worked

I'm revisiting the electronic system with a local company at the moment.

I designed and built my own machine for testing recoil energy pulse/impulse/thrust, but this was about 3 1/2 years ago. It worked out really well to measure the recoil energy of a rifle firing various cartridges, and it is what I used to test changes or improvements when i went through about 20+ prototypes when i developed my own line of original (novel) design muzzle brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8dztGWyW2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsOQWA3-NLY

Have you built something similar to this now Greg? If you can get the friction as low to zero as possible the system works really well.

I looked at using load cells to measure peak force 4 years ago, but the load cells available at the time had very poor response time - great for measuring static loads (or static/constant forces), but very poor at accurately measuring pulse or impulse or spike forces.

I also felt that simply measuring force 'spike' or peak as a means of reference, or for trying to determine the true 'magnitude' of the recoil effect (or thrust) was not really accurate, or could be open to statistical misinterpretation.

I discovered alot of things about muzzle brake design that had obviously been overlooked for the decades that muzzle brakes have been around, and some of these features are in all of my proprietary designs. Hence i went to the trouble over registering/patenting my designs so that a few years down the track no-one could rip my designs, and then turn around and say that i was just copying them ! Or make copies in China and then flood the market here, which would really burn me, especially after investing big $$ in CNC machines to be able to make and sell then at a reasonable price. Not to mention all the R&D time, thousands of dollars worth of ammo, etc. etc.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

MSL
    Would you say you have revolutionised the muzzlebrake?

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Would you say you have revolutionised the muzzlebrake?
    Well, if you got to read even half of the positive feed back i get from here and overseas you might think so !!

Big call, but i would say i have certainly re-written the book on what results can be expected from a compact, highly efficient muzzle brake design - without having to resort to running really steep port angles like 20 - 30 degrees, or more. On some brakes steep angles can tend to really throw the pressure wave and shrapnel back at or very close to the shooter. (All of my brakes run less than 10 degrees on the port angles.)

For alot of shooters who have never had much to do with really good brakes before it can be a truly amazing experience to be able to fire magnum calibre rifles without having to flinch or winch under punishing recoil. As long as they follow the rules and use adequate hearing protection, then all good.

For me the best feedback is from experienced shooters who have used a ton of different brakes, either in competition use, military, or for hunting use. When you get big kudos from guys like that, then that's awesome.

Just today we are posting another small order of brakes to US military personal stationed in Europe. A megamax brake is also on it's way to a customer in Lithuania.
    This morning i got an email from another happy customer in New Mexico with the usual " the brake is awesome...... thanks for everything,,, etc. etc" message, and some pics and video of him shooting it. Great stuff. When you send brakes to the US it is like selling ice to eskimos !

Name:  image4.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  598.2 KB

Last week we sent some good orders of brakes to gunsmiths and customers in Aussie, and every week there are brakes going out to someone overseas. In fact i have been so busy with trying to keep up with production, hence i haven't really had to push the brakes much on here, and haven't done any you-tube updates for ages. Though it might be time to do that soon as there have been a few additions to the product line in the last year or so. Cheers.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

Dean - have you read Troy Newlons book on the subject?

I think you should post Greg a break to test in his rig and he send you a brake to test in your rig and see what sort of results we get my thinking is yours will win on your setup and his will win on his but I'd like to see the comparison

Quote Originally Posted by dfmaisey View Post
    Well, if you got to read even half of the positive feed back i get from here and overseas you might think so !!

Big call, but i would say i have certainly re-written the book on what results can be expected from a compact, highly efficient muzzle brake design - without having to resort to running really steep port angles like 20 - 30 degrees, or more. On some brakes steep angles can tend to really throw the pressure wave and shrapnel back at or very close to the shooter. (All of my brakes run less than 10 degrees on the port angles.)

For alot of shooters who have never had much to do with really good brakes before it can be a truly amazing experience to be able to fire magnum calibre rifles without having to flinch or winch under punishing recoil. As long as they follow the rules and use adequate hearing protection, then all good.

For me the best feedback is from experienced shooters who have used a ton of different brakes, either in competition use, military, or for hunting use. When you get big kudos from guys like that, then that's awesome.

Just today we are posting another small order of brakes to US military personal stationed in Europe. A megamax brake is also on it's way to a customer in Lithuania.
    This morning i got an email from another happy customer in New Mexico with the usual " the brake is awesome...... thanks for everything,,, etc. etc" message, and some pics and video of him shooting it. Great stuff. When you send brakes to the US it is like selling ice to eskimos !

Attachment 38366

Last week we sent some good orders of brakes to gunsmiths and customers in Aussie, and every week there are brakes going out to someone overseas. In fact i have been so busy with trying to keep up with production, hence i haven't really had to push the brakes much on here, and haven't done any you-tube updates for ages. Though it might be time to do that soon as there have been a few additions to the product line in the last year or so. Cheers.
    I have found many 20-30 degree brakes to be much more comfortable to shoot than radial or straight ported ''artillery'' style brakes. Worst ever being a trg brake, I thought my eyes dropped out of my head. And that was only on a .308!
    Matt2308 and BRADS like this.

Muzzle Brake Testing

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    I have found many 20-30 degree brakes to be much more comfortable to shoot than radial or straight ported ''artillery'' style brakes. Worst ever being a trg brake, I thought my eyes dropped out of my head. And that was only on a .308!
    +1 though I haven't shot a TRG brake.

I actually really LIKE the Sako TRG-42 brake , as it was one of 10 or so upgrades made to the Sako TRG-41 when trialled my the Finnish Army in 1999-2000 , and all the mods done to the TRG-41 in 338LM was to make the rifle easier to shoot & more rugged .
    The brake was a large piece of kit , and used a thread on & clamp system to lock it in place , the older TRG brakes , where just a slip fit & clamp , the brake was made not just to tame a 338LM rifle , BUT a lightweight 338LM sniper rifle .
    The Finns adopted the TRG-42 in I think 2000 .
    It is still a pretty light sniper rifle in 338LM , most others are much heavier , and even with good brake or suppressor , due to its lightness , it can be punishing on scopes , and IF you look at the TRG-42 scope mount , it uses 3 rings on a steel base , rather than the normal 2 rings , maybe to stop the scope slipping ?

I think muzzle brake design and development have moved on a bit from the Sako TRG brake - it has been around for quite a few years now. This was pretty well proven for a couple of friends of mine who have taken the factory brakes off their TRGs in favour of Terminator brakes. The more modern Terminator brakes simply reduce recoil more.
    Kiwi Greg and 338 like this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Here is one I made recently.

Some of the brakes are also in this test.

Muzzle Brakes: Recoil Results for 308 & 300 Magnum | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Many more comparisons here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TerminatorProducts

Some bigger ones to come in the next few weeks

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Nice new testing rig you have their Gregory
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Nice new testing rig you have their Gregory
    Why thank you Phillip

It does look a little more up market than this one.

I'm looking at getting a brake for my lr rig , how does your T2 compare to Maisey's brakes Greg?
    I can't watch the video so apologize if the results are in there.
    Last edited by von tempsky fan; 15-07-2015 at 09:26 AM.