Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: new 300 wsm

new 300 wsm

im looking at getting rid of my tikka. its a 300 wsm and still shoots mint. but just feel like a bit of an upgrade. options are really between the browning x-bolt, sako a7 or kimber montana 8400. anyone had much experience with these? im still 90% sure il stick with the same calibre im pretty happy with that side of things(dont try push me for a 300 winmag or 7mm rem lol) swaying towards the x-bolt at this stage. there are a lot of mixed reviews on all of them though on u.s forums, i guess thats americans though.

Kimber. Jeez the others arent in the same league.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Kimber mate

in what respect is the kimber so much better?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
    in what respect is the kimber so much better?
    Because when someone by chance gets one that actually shoots ok, they can't stop talking about it. Its Kimbers' cunning plan of reverse psychology. They make every second one a dud, so it makes an ordinary one look great
    Spanners, scott85, NZHTR and 1 others like this.

Kimbers have a nice action and trigger and have a nice lightweight stock on it to start with and all of mine have been great shooters including my 6.5x300 WSM that abe built for me, few other guys I know have them aswell in 7mm WSM and love them.
    Mate of mine had an xbolt in 7mm rem mag that just wouldn't shoot ended up in the parts bin lol but hey it's all personal choice/opinion always good to see them all to see what you like the look and feel of.

My bro has a kimber 300wsm. Beautiful gun but kicks more than my 300wm.
    Sako finnlight should have a mention I reckon! That's what id love one day
    kokako likes this.

Im not spending $3200 on a...from what iv seen, not that impressive rifle. Yeah the finnlight is nice. But at that price il build something better I think lol. Sticking at $1500-2000 for this one

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    What makes the Kimber shoot badly?

Because based on the one I had for a bit, they are superb in every other respect. It was a .260, if I had the money and the need I would buy one tomorrow.
    They had a rep for a while for poor accuracy, in the Montana line, I never heard of problems in the other (albeit significantly less common in NZ) rifles. Haven't heard much for a while, I assumed people stopped buying them.

It could have been

-People having difficulty shooting them well due to the extreme light weight of the rifle
    -People having difficulty finding a load which shoots well due to the extreme thinness of the barrel (there is a reason that benchrest rifles don't have barrels of a #1 contour)
    -An actual QC issue of some sort (which isn't unknown with Kimber 1911 pistols, they have been in the past considered by some people quite overpriced for the quality and unreliable)

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Also what does "accuracy issue" mean?

Internet accuracy, or real accuracy? 2" or better?
    Let's stop using inches. For anything. Ever.
    Wirehunt likes this.

I would look at the Winchester model 70 before any of those, esp the Bell and Carlson stocked extreme weather.
    Nothing wrong with the other choices thought,
    Pnumatix, Neckshot and Toby like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
    im looking at getting rid of my tikka. its a 300 wsm and still shoots mint. but just feel like a bit of an upgrade. options are really between the browning x-bolt, sako a7 or kimber montana 8400. anyone had much experience with these? im still 90% sure il stick with the same calibre im pretty happy with that side of things(dont try push me for a 300 winmag or 7mm rem lol) swaying towards the x-bolt at this stage. there are a lot of mixed reviews on all of them though on u.s forums, i guess thats americans though.
    sako 85 finnlight if you get a A7 you might aswell buy a tikka!!!...........again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I would look at the Winchester model 70 before any of those, esp the Bell and Carlson stocked extreme weather.
    Nothing wrong with the other choices thought,
    I like your thinking,very good action.

I would rather a tikka than an a7. As good but less cash. Yup ive got a winchester extreme weather its a little heavy but not excesive very nice rifle. You may be hard pushed to find one in 300wsm though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Let's stop using inches. For anything. Ever.
    10cm does sound more impressive to the girls than four inches