Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: New (RemArms) Remington Rifles...

New (RemArms) Remington Rifles...

Heads up, the new incarnation of Remington (RemArms) is 'upgrading' the Rem700, they are calling it 'Alpha 1' , a very inspired name choice ...

https://internationalsportsman.com/r...rom-remington/

I won't hold my breath, expect these to be over priced and under-engineered.

What was wrong with the Rem700 wasn't design, but lack of QC.

Remington's slogan used to be 'Built one at a time', but that became 'sling them out as fast as possible'... the fact WalMart sold these on clearance for $89 says it all!

Anyone who has handled and compared the old Remingtons to those of the 2010's (RR Serials) will know.
    6x47 and Barry the hunter like this.

Looks OK, seems to have sorted some of the piss-me-offs with the original 700. Interesting to see what the weight is compared to the original length for length. I have had a wee bit to do with the RR's, guess I got lucky as they were all reasonable apart from one with a mistimed primary extraction.

Thats good news , i happen to like the old remington .It looks like they have done what Christensen ,bageara ,have done to the basic rifle . If i think about i had at least 10 of them and all but one was a good reliable gun and it didnt take to much to sort it out but it was at end of their era were the qc was just terrible . Who knows they may support their own cartridges too so the 280 may return form the dead

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    Who knows they may support their own cartridges too so the 280 may return form the dead
    Remington were probably the most forward thinking rifle makers but lacked the management and marketing to make strides (like Hornady have managed with much less innovation...)

So Remington made:

.17 Rem Fireball
    .222 Rem
    .223 Rem
    6mm Remington
    .25-06 Rem
    260 Rem
    280 Rem
    7mm08 Rem
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm/300 RSAUM
    350 Rem Mag
    etc. etc.

They offered a carbon/composite barrel on Rem 700's in 1999

First commercial electronically primed rifle ammunition (eTronX)

At one point, all the US military's bolt action rifles were built on the Rem700 (M40- USMC, M24- US Army, M91- US Navy)

Keep in mind that the guys who set up Atlas Development Group are/were ex-Remington employees.

Very very sad decline from America's favorite maker of hunting rifles and shotguns...

Going by that, they once again look like a competitive option, but that will depend on the NZ retail price.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    The original 700 had a number of weaknesses....I never liked the 3 piece bolt and the extraction system left a lot to be desired in my view.Occassionaly when you would set one up in the lathe to have its muzzle threaded it would wobble like a banana they were so far from being concentric.The newer ones were especially bad in this regard not so much the older production rifles.
    Heard some crazy talk on the American forums that they were finishing actions by cutting the tenon face flat with a bandsaw and then running a tap into the action...

Took it with a pinch of salt at the time but the more I see and hear the more I'm inclined to believe stuff like this was happening.

Went down the local and compared a 'new' RR Stainless Rem700 with an old 'S' one a few months back. Crazy to think the seondhand rifle which was 1/3 of the price and ridden hard put away wet, was the better rifle...

yup I still have my 1975 700 BDL in .222 and would never part with it -but ohh god I miss my 742 woodmaster
    Mooseman and caberslash like this.

They look good to me especially if they have upgraded the twist rates and will chamber them in some of the new cartridges too so will be popular for sure.
    199p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yup I still have my 1975 700 BDL in .222 and would never part with it -but ohh god I miss my 742 woodmaster
    My ADL in .308W of the same vintage is not going anywhere either. It now has a Hogue stock and a hinged floor plate and is suppressed.
    GPM.
    Mooseman and caberslash like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    We will see
    I have a 1990 made 30 06 BDL , it shoots fine, trigger could be better. It's in a BC Alaskan stock
    With the ammo it likes, It genuinely shoots the equal of the 2 Sako's and a Tikka I have.
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

If you want a decent Remington 700 then buy a Bergara.
    Bol Tackshin, Tribrit and 308mate like this.

Your right PeteD a bergara is very nice remington but they feel like they need to go on a deit

Banned
    Gone for the shitty 'lost the bolt', side bolt release, which is a shame and stupid
    caberslash likes this.

So they've essentially just taken most of the bits that third party 700 clone makers improved/fixed ages ago. I wonder if the price will be anywhere near what you paid for a 700 from the old company.
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    So they've essentially just taken most of the bits that third party 700 clone makers improved/fixed ages ago. I wonder if the price will be anywhere near what you paid for a 700 from the old company.
    Or more importantly, how it will compare to it's direct competitors. Whether it thinks it's a Tikka or a Sako.
    caberslash likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.