Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: New rifle, scope question

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    That same tahr in the picture? mate, probably could have killed that with a slingshot
    Yup, the blur in front of the front shoulder is the bullet hitting the ground and kicking up shit.

Slingshot and 30/30 basically the same thing.
    veitnamcam, Gibo and TheJanitar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Same deal, just throw in your actual numbers.
    Nevermind, you are obviously to smart to understand what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Yup, the blur in front of the front shoulder is the bullet hitting the ground and kicking up shit.

Slingshot and 30/30 basically the same thing.
    sheesh thats rough mate, must have been pretty gutted. Good on ya for challenging yourself!
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

Ejected
    sheesh thats rough mate, must have been pretty gutted. Good on ya for challenging yourself!
    I was just happy it was a clean miss.

I really just enjoy seeing animals and taking photos. Not fazed if I don't shoot anything.
    Biggun708 and TheJanitar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Nevermind, you are obviously to smart to understand what I mean.
    I do know what you mean. The numbers I posted earlier show it. You get the same bullet going faster and the rifle will push back a bit harder. Can get the same recoil with a lighter bullet going faster or a heavier one going slower.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@Gibo Use this recoil calculator. JBM - Calculations - Recoil
    gadgetman likes this.

No need I understand it completely

I was simply saying that ones statement about rifle weight and the difference between 7mm08 vs 308 not making a noticeable difference to recoil was not a good statement.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... Can you say it again?

Nah just kidding
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Mmmm so how does a big fat slow bullet vs a small fast bullet smack me around more or less in the same rifle?
    Not quite sure what you mean. Are you shooting a big fat bullet combo as well as a small fast bullet combo in the same rifle? Do you use the same powder charge for both?

If they are both have similar energy (ft/lbs) at the muzzle, they wont.

Generally bigger bullets have bigger cases to hold more powder which means they get more energy and more recoil. This is not the case when comparing 7mm08 and 308.

Simply put the energy itself is generated by the powder/primer reaction. The difference in recoil between a big fat bullet and a small fast bullet would depend greatly on the amount of powder used to generate the energy.

In the cases of 7mm08 and 308 being the same case and the charges and energy at the muzzle being so close, as you lighten the bullet, it travels faster, as you increase the weight, it travels slower. But as the charges and case sizes and energy values are so similar between these two calibres, there recoil and overall performance is very very similar. The 7mm08 can shoot lighter bullets hence they go a bit faster / flatter trajectory, but the as mentioned just over 1/2 inch at 300 is close enough to nothing for a new shooter and for an experienced shooter, it should not cause any issues either.

For example I use a 43gr load of 2209 in my 303British. With the 215gr projectile it is accurate with, I get 2176fps (+/- 15fps) , with a "smaller faster" 123gr projectile I get more speed, the same recoil and a flatter trajectory,. (But due to other barrel / projectile issues average accuracy at best....). The energy imparted into the Big fat bullet and the small fast bullet in this case is the same because the powder charge is the same.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean. Are you shooting a big fat bullet combo as well as a small fast bullet combo in the same rifle? Do you use the same powder charge for both?

If they are both have similar energy (ft/lbs) at the muzzle, they wont.

Generally bigger bullets have bigger cases to hold more powder which means they get more energy and more recoil. This is not the case when comparing 7mm08 and 308.

Simply put the energy itself is generated by the powder/primer reaction. The difference in recoil between a big fat bullet and a small fast bullet would depend greatly on the amount of powder used to generate the energy.

In the cases of 7mm08 and 308 being the same case and the charges and energy at the muzzle being so close, as you lighten the bullet, it travels faster, as you increase the weight, it travels slower. But as the charges and case sizes and energy values are so similar between these two calibres, there recoil and overall performance is very very similar. The 7mm08 can shoot lighter bullets hence they go a bit faster / flatter trajectory, but the as mentioned just over 1/2 inch at 300 is close enough to nothing for a new shooter and for an experienced shooter, it should not cause any issues either.

For example I use a 43gr load of 2209 in my 303British. With the 215gr projectile it is accurate with, I get 2176fps (+/- 15fps) , with a "smaller faster" 123gr projectile I get more speed, the same recoil and a flatter trajectory,. (But due to other barrel / projectile issues average accuracy at best....). The energy imparted into the Big fat bullet and the small fast bullet in this case is the same because the powder charge is the same.
    Oh gee thanks for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    Oh gee thanks for that...

Sorry. I did not mean to get all wordy. Just the differences between these two calibres are not very much. Both have pro's and con's but whichever one someone gets , they can know that both are very well suited to hunting here in NZ.
    Gibo and Biggun708 like this.

OK so when I took you to be saying 'if the rifle weighs the same it don't matter what you shoot out of it' I was mistaken? (708 vs 308) The above rings true but wasn't what you originally said
    All good Im not fussed
    timattalon likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    All sorted! Getting the scope sussed on monday and going to the range next saturday. Thanks Bevan!

this forum is a gold mine for new hunters, i must say.

cheers guys
    Bevan's a good guy and will sort it for you. Meanwhile, make sure you take that orange sticker off the stock of your new rifle. Good hunting.
    Biggun708 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    How tall are you? Might need longer length of pull
    Or 1cm shorter?
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Bevan's a good guy and will sort it for you. Meanwhile, make sure you take that orange sticker off the stock of your new rifle. Good hunting.
    Yea definitely, very generous of him

Haha yea I'll get that off soon. I kinda like it tho ya know, from what I've heard and seen, I am under the impression that the orange flare color has magical properties that ward of other shooters' bullets. So probably a good idea to leave them on for the extra safety? What do you reckon?

(not serious)
    Biggun708 likes this.
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?