Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rebarrelling a short action Remington

6.5 creedmoor!!!!!, runs on a shortened 308 case, very accurate and gives very similar performance to the 6.5x55 with less powder I had a go on a creedmoor at muckos gong shoot and walloped the 800 meter gong with it.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

So you already have a 308 and it shoots fine, simple whack a reamer up its bum and it is a 30-284, will mag feed tho you may? loose a round capacity in a M7? not up on the remingtons

Mine is pushing a 178gr amax just shy of 3000fps from a 25" barrel which is a useful gain over the 168 amax I was running at 2750 as a 308.

yes this calibre does go better with heavy bullets in a long action allowing seating out of bullets but really its splitting hairs it goes well mag fed from a short action.
    Woody likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks everyone for your input. Interesting and I learnt a few things.
    As I said , I have two other very good .308's, so don't need 3, and a few classic rifles which I don't want to wear the original barrels out on.
    While, from your several inputs, there are obviously some potential conversion solutions, I think the suggestions of "sell it and look for what you want elsewhere, with the $$ received" makes a lot of sense.

Therefore the rifle is now sold and I will start looking at some of the other gear that is for sale around the place. probably a hv 7mm or .308 cal with fairly high medium / long range retained energy in hunting / sporter configuration.
    Thanks all for your help.

ive got a 22inch 6.5 wsm barrel vulcan, fluted and threaded, will fit remington, 150 shots (probily less) $200
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

n/m
    Last edited by steven; 12-02-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Buying a Leupold VXR 3-9 scope with 30mm tube, Illuminated TMR reticule and Milrad tactical dialup dials and putting it on my 30-06, with the money from the Model 7 sale.