Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Rem 700 SA stock options

I have a near new wood one somewhere....just not sure who I loaned it to

I have had offers of the plastic stock that will do for a bush rig (thanks for the PM's guys) ....

but I also would like to try a thumb hole stock... Who has one, are they comfortable for free hand shooting.... does it help with recoil as this will be up there and I wont be putting a brake on it

The other way I may go is light as you cary it more that shoot it so might have to live with the recoil and I love my current all around rifle with its light weight but I am going shorter for this one so I dont convince myself I can get away with one rifle .. what are these NZ light stocks worth?

May still stick with the std SPS to keep the budget down incase I stumble on a cheap 45-70 leaver (might have spent the budget for that already though)
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Caretaker

Re: Rem 700 SA stock options

I have 2 timber stocks here for a model 7, and two for the SA model 700, not sure if they are of any use to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    I have 2 timber stocks here for a model 7, and two for the SA model 700, not sure if they are of any use to you.
    Doesn't make my choice easier ... but one of each could be used PM me what you want for them and it will add to the confusion

I have a boyds thumbhole stock on my 300rum. I find it's really comfortable to shoot and is a little better on recoi. However on a Remington action you have to take your pistol grip hand away from it's normal position to disengage the safety.

Stug's carbon fibre stocks are around $500. I have one on my .270 and I'm really impressed with it.

Hope that helps
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I have a boyds thumbhole stock on my 300rum. I find it's really comfortable to shoot and is a little better on recoi. However on a Remington action you have to take your pistol grip hand away from it's normal position to disengage the safety.

Stug's carbon fibre stocks are around $500. I have one on my .270 and I'm really impressed with it.

Hope that helps
    whats a saftey

I dont use it much unless in thick shit then saftey and half bolt, easy enough to close the bolt with the thumb stock?

My HighTech was well under $400 delivered and it's pretty light. Just another option to confuse the situation.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

I have a Boyd, but it's quite heavy, no good for long Tahr trips but looks real pretty! Stockysstocks.com have a massive range from Bell and Carlson, H-S Precision to McMillan from US$230-565. Double it if buying local.

I don't think stockys export to NZ .

Thumb hole and laminate usually go hand in hand and I wouldn't recommend laminate as a rifle for anything more than short hunts in flat areas

Thumbhole stocks make a bolt action feel unnatural to me, as the straight line to the bolt no longer exists, but that's a minor issue

I'm all for light weight, can't beat a carbon sako 75 patterned stock in my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I don't think stockys export to NZ .
    NZ Post run a service YouShop | New Zealand Post Have used it a lot for all sorts. Normal Customs rules apply as you need to declear the valve. Haven't tryed ordering anything from from Stockys yet, will get a stock shortly from them as I'm travelling in a couple of weeks. I see MidwayUSA require the credit card billing address to be in the US now.