Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Rifle for my boy .243

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    You could buy older rifle and rebarrel for less cost then cut it down n suppress it without it loosing value.lad could use it without such fear of scratching it...
    Na i dont get precious about that sort of thing. They are tools made to be used.
    crewe2, BRADS and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    now
    I shall mull over whether I want to sell a 6.5 and 7mm for one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    To throw a cat amongst the pigeons. If you're flexible on caliber and don't mind either 6.5CM or 7mm
    The new Howa Superlights come in at 2kg available in 6.5CM, 7mm-08, and .308. At $2350ish with a carbon stock, threaded, a rail and cerakoted.
    I adore a Tikka, don't get me wrong, but this offering at this price point from Howa having just hit the shelves is looking hard to go past. I also suspect the stock is going to be brought up very quickly.

Broncos has listed some stock already: https://broncos.co.nz/firearms/bolt-...ion_results=GO
    those look good, sort of a replacement for the Howa Alpine I guess, that was another good deal

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    those look good, sort of a replacement for the Howa Alpine I guess, that was another good deal
    They sure do, a few more calibre options would be nice. I'll have one in a 1:8 twist .243 and another in .223 or 6x45 thanks.
    Spent ages trying to find a 7mm or .308 Howa Alpine on the second hand market after they stopped producing them but they just don't come up. I went with a Kimber Hunter instead. But I would have brought one of these if they were available when I was after a .308 or similar bush rifle.

A 223 mini in that stock would be a winner
    Nathan F and Jukes like this.

To throw a cat amongst the pigeons. If you're flexible on caliber and don't mind either 6.5CM or 7mm
    The new Howa Superlights come in at 2kg available in 6.5CM, 7mm-08, and .308. At $2350ish with a carbon stock, threaded, a rail and cerakoted.
    I adore a Tikka, don't get me wrong, but this offering at this price point from Howa having just hit the shelves is looking hard to go past. I also suspect the stock is going to be brought up very quickly.

Broncos has listed some stock already: https://broncos.co.nz/firearms/bolt-...ion_results=GO
    They are value for sure . I cant see them being comfortable in those calibres to shoot for a young fella though?
    BRADS likes this.

A 223 mini in that stock would be a winner
    Just been yakking with the reps in a LGS. Yes they do a carbon stock for the minis, 1.8 Kgs all in . . .

the Carbon stalker model of the mini has been available for ages in the US, just hasn't showed up here..............................yet

the Carbon stalker model of the mini has been available for ages in the US, just hasn't showed up here..............................yet
    Wilson's of Wanganui had a couple on they FB page today so I guess they have them.
    The carbon model has that crappy plastic trigger guard and mag.
    The US reviews I looked at are great.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    They are value for sure . I cant see them being comfortable in those calibres to shoot for a young fella though?
    A mild loaded 6.5CM with light 120gr ELD-M projectiles with a suppressor should be quite tame to shoot and it'd be hard to tell apart from a 100grn .243 I would have thought.
    Nathan F, nor-west and grandpamac like this.

Reloaders have some also and carbon stocks for the Howas
    Nathan F likes this.

A mild loaded 6.5CM with light 120gr ELD-M projectiles with a suppressor should be quite tame to shoot and it'd be hard to tell apart from a 100grn .243 I would have thought.
    The young chap may also be more impressed with a newer cartridge rather than a crusty old .243 that was introduced, perhaps before his dad was born. Don't get me wrong, the .243 is a much better cartridge now with the 8 inch twist and modern projectiles but cartridge choice is a personal thing. What fills my heart with joy as a cartridge may be ho hum to others. What does the young chap think?
    GPM.
    Sideshow likes this.

I’ve got an older Tikka T3 in 243 , walnut n blued. Shoots 90-95gn pills sub moa no problems. Not sure of twist rate but doubt it’s 1:8

Gkp
    Tikka 243 as you described would be mint!
    Nathan F likes this.

With the 1:8 the Hornady ELD in 108gr or 103gr could be on the table as well.
    I use the 108gr ELD-M's in mine.
    Z
    Nathan F likes this.