Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Sako 85 Bolt fluting - Who to use?

LJP

Sako 85 Bolt fluting - Who to use?

While my Sako 85 is getting the barrel chop figure I might as well flute the bolt as well. Looks like the main players are Gunworks but I've also seen some pictures of NZ Hunter stuff as well. Anyone have advise & experience here - good or bad. Who would you use?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I've seen several bolt fluting jobs done by Gunworks and they were beautifully machined and the bolts were still smooth to operate.
    Gibo and Mathias like this.

Id go gunworks too. very clean and tidy job.

Its a sako leave it as god intended
    jakewire, 7mmsaum, tetawa and 7 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

i have done about 4-5 sako's, all done at Gunworks, hassle free.
    turns them into a sexy beast!!
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Im also tempted to flute mine. How many grams are we talking?

199p, Danny and hotsoup like this.

Aside from the aesthetics do you get anything else out of it? Genuine question. I imagine if it froze then it would be easier to fix with the fluting hahaha

As cool as fluted bolts looks, I don’t like the idea of more dirt leaves, sticks and crap getting into the action, magazines and trigger from fluted bolts. I have had two trips where the Sako trigger locked up with rubbish in it and having to strip and clean back at home. Maybe I’m just hard on my gear in thick scrub and crawling on all fours with the rifle on the ground.
    Danny and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Maaate, dont get a guy in, do it yaself! A file and a drill, what could go wrong?

I think they look great, but gotta make it harder to clean, and as others have said more likely to trap debris in the sort of bush I hunt. For tops hunting or range use I would have it done, though not much benefit from saving weight on a range rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Oh... that looks really really sexy, I'll talk myself into it over time...

Voids warranty & accuracy guarantee if you care about that
    Last edited by ChrisW; 07-09-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Maaate, dont get a guy in, do it yaself! A file and a drill, GRINDER, what could go wrong?

edited for you

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    As cool as fluted bolts looks, I don’t like the idea of more dirt leaves, sticks and crap getting into the action, magazines and trigger from fluted bolts. I have had two trips where the Sako trigger locked up with rubbish in it and having to strip and clean back at home. Maybe I’m just hard on my gear in thick scrub and crawling on all fours with the rifle on the ground.
    i have seen this statement come up when ever fluted bolts are discussed, usually from people who have never had a fluted bolt. i have fluted my sako bolts since my first finnlight in 2005-6, and done about another 4 since then, and i do a lot of hunting 6-8 days a month,depending on time of year, double that over March-April, and spring time,(shift worker, 4 on 4 off) with multi day hunts 4-6 times a year and i have never had any issues with dirt, twigs etc, jamming actions, magazines. not saying it can't happen, but i don't think it is an issue that some people think it is.
    but at the end of the day, it is your decision, so if you have any doubt it may be better to leave it original.
    Shootm, Kiwi Greg, 199p and 3 others like this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTY View Post
    i have seen this statement come up when ever fluted bolts are discussed, usually from people who have never had a fluted bolt. i have fluted my sako bolts since my first finnlight in 2005-6, and done about another 4 since then, and i do a lot of hunting 6-8 days a month,depending on time of year, double that over March-April, and spring time,(shift worker, 4 on 4 off) with multi day hunts 4-6 times a year and i have never had any issues with dirt, twigs etc, jamming actions, magazines. not saying it can't happen, but i don't think it is an issue that some people think it is.
    but at the end of the day, it is your decision, so if you have any doubt it may be better to leave it original.
    That great you have issues with the flutes, so how many grams would you save in fluting?

Me too I’m a shift worker 7 on 7 off at work at the moment multi tasking, only at home with the wife 50 days a year she’s good like that.