Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Savage rifles pros cons or avoid

Savage rifles pros cons or avoid

Looking at a new rifle in 22-250 looking at the price of most bang sticks and bolt designs I don't like the ruger American design and I love my Tikka but that's getting pricey
    What are the savage rifles like never shot one but the look is good and price is not going to break the bank
    Any first hand would be appreciated

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Have a Savage Axis 223.
    Shoots better than I do, replaced the trigger spring and very happy with it
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

I have guided a few clients that have had Savage rifles, and all of them shot way above their price point. One of the nicest ones was a wood blue youth model in 243 that one of my clients wives was carrying - nice compact rifle, good to look at, and accurate.

I have a savage model 16 22-250 I shortened it and put a can on easily shoots minute of hare at 125m. I got it second hand, don't know round count but shoot awesome for what I paid for it. I actually like the acutrigger too.
    tetawa likes this.
    Happy Jack.

Got a 17HMR Savage - love it. My next centerfire is a Savage.

Over 40 plus years of rifle ownership I've had several Savage offerings, both CF and RF. For a while their looks did them in for me, the CF ones are just butt ugly and they got traded off.

But the accuracy and utility of the basic design keep drawing me back, and currently I have two CFs with 4 barrels, a 224 Valkyrie, 6.5-284 and spare barrels in 308 and 223. It's very straightforward to change barrels and anything else for that matter, these are simple designs but are sophisticated in operation. I don't recall a single mechanical problem or breakage with a Savage, not something I can say about the Remingtons and a Sako I've owned.

All my current ones shoot well, the 224 and 6.5-284 are consistent 0.5 MOA performers. But they are ugly.
    GSP HUNTER, tetawa and Shearer like this.

Yes they do shoot well and I too liked the accutrigger.

I don't find them ugly, in fact I like the way they look. I have had 3 of various cals. All shoot very well. I like their function and practical features that work for hunters.

Banned
    I have a friend with a 22 250 he will sell. Zeiss scope on a Rem heavy barrel ex the Remington custom shop. I will have to check but round count is low, all factory ammo. Was bought for head shooting deer but mates health has failed

Hunting mate uses one in 7m08, been a Good solid hunting rifle. Like the accutrigger and the newer ones with the accustock with built in alloy bedding rail.
    Mates only had one problem 5 years back with 1 box of hornady ammo and a couple of missfires. (hard primer?).
    Also pre-accustock the entry level ones had a flexible plastic stock which you could move into contact with the barrel.
    Z

Had a 17hmr savage, was a wonderful rifle. very accurate and a nice trigger. Shame they are not more common over here.

I now have a Model 16 stainless in .223 and previously had a Model 16 in .308. Both were basic and a little ugly but both shot under 1MOA with factory ammo. As a pure hunting gun they're great, because they're inexpensive and stainless I don't find myself being precious with them and use them like a hunting rifle should be, i.e. pushing through brush, taking them for long walks in the rain etc

I have a Savage Model 12 DBM in .223, with a 26" 1:7 twist barrel.

Bought for my son to learn to shoot FTR as he was a skinny 14 year old at the time.
    It shoots very well and was competitive with .308s in light winds out to 1000 yards.
    I learnt to shoot with it as well.

Other's experiences may differ but for us the Savage has been good value for money.

I own and hunt with Savage rifles, have done for a long time now and can't fault them. Basic rifles that shoot better than me,they fit my small frame sweet and inexpensive by comparison to some other brands and they get the job done.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Which reminds me, a guy at our shooting club has cleared the clubs F and FTR trophies for years shooting a factory 223 Savage HB
    Moa Hunter likes this.