Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Savage rifles pros cons or avoid

A friend described Savage firearms as the best rifle that you wouldn't want to give to your kids as an heirloom. They do the job well, but lack a bit of 'soul', and are more tool-like than some other models.

they tend to be great performers accuraccy wise even the cheepest

the barrel nut and odd bolt and accutrigger dont do it for me, but I was out shot by a uni mate doing a side by side with my sako75
    so yea they do what they are suppose to
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

I'm using a Model 116 lightweight hunter(ss/syn) ..as a hunting tool it ticks all my boxes. Realistically i think the big question is whether the 2 stage savage accutriggerr is your cup of tea. I can't speak for the other models though. i didnt want to go so 'budget' to where the shortcuts started adding up, hence why i didnt go with the axis(which looks ok too). i might buy a lightweight storm next as i want to change calibre. i've had much more expensive rifles but i just don't feel like it's justified now. to me i'm right at the sweet spot before the point of diminishing returns - for my purposes.. safe hunting mate & good luck
    Andy7mm and Bol Tackshin like this.

I have a Savage Tactical in 25:06 Ackley Improved, real tack driver has accounted for more deer than I could ever remember. Good solid reliable, would certainly get another if I ever needed one.

I'm running a Savage 16 lightweight hunter (s/s) in 308 as my main rifle, can't see myself going for anything else at this point. Super accurate, durable stainless (doesn't rust at all - the howa s/s i had was terrible for it), and I love the accutrigger and the ability to adjust the weight of trigger pull yourself.

The three stage safety is also a great feature. Safe, half (allows you to operate the bolt but not the trigger), and fire.

Also have a 7mm08 s/s and a 223 blued. All are very reliable shooters. Can't think of anything I'd change on them to be honest.
    GSP HUNTER, Shearer and Bubble07 like this.