Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By 300wsm for life
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Dama dama
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By Blackfern
  • 1 Post By Finnwolf

Thread: Scope cover vs lens caps

Scope cover vs lens caps

Hi,
    I have always used the neoprene scope covers, need a new one as my new scope is longer and I’m thinking of maybe trying lense caps. I mostly want it to stop rain and sticks and leaves etc getting on the scope while hiking and pushing through scrub.

Needs to be sturdy as I tried some cheap lens caps years ago that busted and wouldn’t stay shut. And quick to open if possible.

What’s everyone using.

And alternatively does anyone know what size Allen scope cover to order for a 3.5-18x44 Swarovski?

Thanks

Tenebraex

Go onto gunworks website they have measurements for the cover. I prefer full cover. Protects scope when walking. I remove when hunting.
    Dama dama and dannyb like this.

I had a niggeloh cover for a while and always found stuff would make it's way onto the lenses anyway, my new scope came with caps and it's far better, actually keep it's clean only thing is they don't stay on very well but nothing a bit of tape can't fix

find that pair of your mates waders in the garage that he just keeps forgetting to pick up and cut some 3" thick neopreme bands from the legs...down low fit short scopes and up closer to thigh for bigger scopes...work really well as protect sides of scope aswell as the lenses
    BushChook likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I much prefer a neoprene cover. +1 for the gunworks. I tried flip up type once, but the flip-ups got ripped off in the Bush on the first trip.
    wekaman likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Everything sucks
    Leupy caps suck the least but still suck.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I've been using the redesigned Butler creek covers on my Z5. had to tape them onto the scope to keep them from getting pulled off in the bush but at least they keep the rain and crap off the lenses when hunting in the rain over the roar. have the clear inserts in them for the suprise encounters. bit like looking through a milk bottle or my mates vortex....😁
    they work pretty well but I wish you could get the equivalent of alumina caps for the swaro
    veitnamcam and Shearer like this.

The rubber bikini caps seem to be the only thing I've found that won't pull off in the thick tight crap, actually hold some form of useful seal on the scope and stop crap and junk getting on the lenses, don't flick off and most importantly are reliably silent to open. Take from that what it's worth, I've used pretty much everything else. The neoprene covers are worth their weight in gold in the gunsafe though. I've had rain get into the flip up caps somehow, and cover the objective. The bikini cap can be left on the scope by just pushing it down at front and back, but it can foul up the action which is pesky. As noted, everything pretty much sucks in some form or another...

On my second set of tenebraex caps and are nice caps but still snap off pushing through tight bush and monkey scrub on my big scope. Much prefer a full length cover bush bashing.

In the days before fancy scope covers I used a section of car inner-tube big enough to cover both lenses and taped in the middle so when I flipped clear of the lenses the tape stopped it flying into the scrub.
    BSA270 likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

The Vortex defender caps are also good.